12S41

Rate this topic

mchan68

Is it just me, or is this recall causing a lot of traffic chaos on the service lots? Because of this damn recall, not only are we now backed up with these new rolling pieces of garbage on wheels taking up already very limited space on our lot, but inside the shop too. Not only would it be wise for all of us to possess our own IDSs (which thankfully I just purchased my own two months ago) which by itself is already a huge expense, but we're now going to have to buy our own battery chargers and coolant pressure tester adapters too? Is it just me, or is that adapter not sealing very well either (ours is from Snap-On) because it loses pressure when pressurized up to 20psi for the two minutes it instructs us to, even though there isn't one drop of coolant leak anywhere that I could see on the ones I've done so far. Not only that, but has anyone else noticed the reprogramming of the IPC seems to take twice as long as being granted security access for PATS?!!!

My Escape has almost 8000 KM on it now, had it in for the recall at 6600 KM and had no leaks. Coming due for it's first oil change soon, so we will see if any have sprung since the recall. We have had one in with 12000 KM with a bad valve cover leak so far.

So, I got my IPC and installed it. PMI and configuration took about a half hour. Today, I began doing the rear crank seal - and found an open coolant hose clamp at the oil cooler that I'd missed earlier. T'would be interesting to talk to the team that designed this installation - friendly it ain't.

I just did the block heater on the one I have here. Also found signs of a heater hose leak while I had it all apart. Heater hose has a part#, but its not in the system anywhere. I put a new oring in the snap to connect fitting that looked to be leaking, the oring that came out was super soft, and squashed almost square already. Fitting had absolutely no drag when pulling appart.

Got the tranny out and down to the part where they tell me to remove the engine oil pan. There was a good sized chunk of rear seal laying in the bellhousing. For some reason, I decided to collect the oil - about a half liter is what came out of the engine. Checked crank and cam bearings, etc and the engine cost capped - going for a new turbo, too because of the metallic tinge in the oil. What a fine, fine launch this is.

I made several interesting discoveries on the one I am working on. Anyone that has a suspected block heater leak, do me a favor, look closely at the heater hose, above the rear(ish)of the trans bellhousing, the one with the large "t" in it. I have a suspicion that when the quick coupler on there leaks, it runs down the block heater cord, along the exposed part of the element, across the block heater housing and down the engine block. None of this can be seen from below, only from above, with the cowl off, and using a mirror. I only spotted the hose leak from below, with the ptu out.

Another interesting discovery, I had to put an epas rack in mine to cure a bad clunk/rattle in the front end.(my RO had 7 lines, car has 4000kms)The subframe must be removed to replace the rack. It takes about 20 to 30 minutes to remove the subframe and rack assy. If I ever have to do anymore rear engine repairs on one of these ( block heater, turbo, exhaust manifold or pipe) I think it would be way more efficient to remove the subframe, rather than the rh drivetrain and the ptu. With the subframe out the catalyst pipe can be simply unbolted and removed. The cat pipe covers the block heater, the whole reason to remove the ptu is to get the cat pipe out. When removing subframe only a handfull of bolts and nuts need replacing, whereas remving the rh drivetrain and ptu, every seal, nut, bolt and some hard parts require replacement.

Isn't that PTU heat shield an interesting thing? What did you wind up doing for the one PTU bolt near the output shaft? I wound up dismantling the exhaust support but I was in robot mode at the time.

This is a very unfriendly car to work on

Wow, I am glad I don't work on cars. What a piece of shit this new Escape is huh? (eh for you Canuckians) What the hell is going on here? Where are all of the parts on these cars being made? Is sure sounds like the parts are garbage in these global beauties!

It just blows me away all the shit that is going wrong with these "new" models. I know nobodies perfect, but man the last couple of new model launches have be very painful. Can somebody tell a story about another manufactures crap.

I was actually thinking that Ford has been in really good shape lately... that is, until the new Escape. In my opinion though I think the new Escape is freaking horrible to look at and what's more is that it looks like everything else ford has recently launched... Focus, Fiesta, Cmax and the Escape basically look like the same vehicle.

Some time ago, I opined that the new Explorer might be the Edge as a "stretched limo".

Ford seems to be putting a lot of focus (no pun intended) on toys or electronic bling. Intelligent access, liftgates that operate with a wave of your foot (not available with trailer hitch), voice recognition.... and of course, that dreaded word on the dash - MICRO$OFT.

This appears to be what consumers ask for - as I gaze around the shop and see several techs surreptitiously texting rather than working and parts people scrambling to hide facebook pages when they hear footsteps approaching.

The world is going to hell but not in a handbasket - it is going to hell in a microchip.

Jim, I also dissmantled the exhaust braket, as I couldn't find any other way to get that bolt loose. I liken this thing to the 6.4. Seems very tough to work on, but once you've had a few of them appart, and know how everthing is assembled, they might be ok. I like how small and light everything is, the ptu cant weigh 10 pounds.

On the bright-ish side, I was disscussing the large ro we had on this one wit hour sm, she phoned in to recalls to get final approval on all the extra time spent on the 12s41 reflash, and they said there was no need for approval anymore, just mt all time over the allowed and they will pay it.

We split ours up between a general tech, who does the inspection, and the electrical tech, who does the reflash. We get 2 or 3 going at one time depending on how many IDS's are free. Luckily we have enough room that it doesn't tie up a bay and he is able to work on other vehicles while they reflash.

• 1 month later...

To begin with, I took the thing apart a month and a half ago. Without a vehicle handy to compare it to, one is left with a camera full of pictures taken from more wrong angles than right and a horde of hoses and harnesses that co-exist in only one configuration.

Just so you are aware, this thing has more coolant hoses than you can shake an engineer at, including two electric coolant control valves.

Just for shits and grins, check out the WSM regarding engine removal on this thing. Remove the blue stuff and throw away the red stuff...

Is it an Escape, Jim? I can't remember what you said it was before.

I had a look through the shop manual for that electric Focus (was digging for information for the OHSA traning I was doing - instructor asked about voltage, and I brought up the safety gear, he asked what there was. I told him there was a pole used to pull you off the HEV/EV battery if you got zapped, so you stopped cooking/stinking up the shop LOL), that new 3-D setup in the shop manual for stuff is kinda neat, but I betcha they aren't worth a poop if you print it out for R&R purposes.