2010 dodge 6.7 cummins oil leak

Rate this topic

tonybullitt

I have above truck pouring oil out back of engine. I have not pulled trans yet but appears to be rear main area. Any suggestions on other leak location that could push alot of oil out in this area? Also I am a ford diesel tech at a dealership am I going to need any tools to do rear main on this engine? Thanks Tony

Mitchell shows a tool but no number. Google searches seem to point to the tool coming with the seal. There is a write up in a Cummins diesel forum with pics.

http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/07-5-09-3rd-gen-6-7l-powertrain/90650-rear-main-seal.html

This should help you. I attached the procedure from the Cummins workshop manual for a 2010 ISB 6.7L engine which as far as I am aware is "identical" to the Dodge engine for all intent and purposes.

FYI: I highly recommend the use of UV tracer dye when diagnosing oil leaks. Add 3 ounces of dye to the engine oil and run it long enough to mix with the oil thoroughly and penetrate the leak. There is a plate on the back of the engine and there may be an oil galley plug that you will want to inspect.

Is this a rear gear train engine? I have seen quite a few in ups trucks and school buses that leak where the flywheel housing meets the gear housing just below the high pressure fuel pump. This leak is due to terrible machining of the housings. If it is indeed just a rear seal there is a white plastic ring that comes with the seal. One side is for rear gear train engines while the other is for non-rear geartrain engines. Make sure you use the correct spacer becuase it sets the depth differently. If you have an engine serial number we could get more specific repair procedures.

There are set of gear in front that run the oil pump, I believe. The rest of the gear train is in the back on the truck engines. I believe in the chrysler version the whole gear train is up front. The crankcase vent is set up with a coalescing filter on the valve cover. there is typically a tube that drains the oil back into the crankcase. Usually the air will empty to atmosphere through the draft tube, but on the isb it vents to the turbo compressor inlet. Sometimes in extreme cold ambient temps the condensation in the tubes can freeze. However you will typically get a high crankcase pressure fault before it blows out a seal. I have not seen any breathers freeze on the b's becuase of the arrangement they use. glad you got it fixed.

Thanks for the replies. It has been cold here in Minnesota recently. I was thinking possibly breather froze and caused also. I had done the last oil change on this truck and it was not even seaping from rear of engine at that time. Are you saying there is a filter I should be suggesting they replace? If so any ideal on part #?

We have a Cummins in our one Autocar (read: piece of junk) at work, we should have the filter at work - if yours has it, I can get you a picture and send it over to you along with the part number.

Our truck is an 08 though.

Are you saying there is a filter I should be suggesting they replace? If so any ideal on part #?

The filter assembly is bolted on top of the rocker cover assembly or more likely on the Ford medium duty it is bolted to the back of the engine on top. Real convenient! Posted Image

The crankcase filter has a maintenance interval at 120,000 Kilometers [75,000 Miles] or 2500 Hours.

To get a part number you WILL NEED an engine serial number and need to know where on the engine it is located since there are two different versions. I don't know it is the same part for both. The ESN is on a decal on the engine, ECU or can be retieved with the Insite scan tool.

Originally Posted By: tonybullitt
Are you saying there is a filter I should be suggesting they replace? If so any ideal on part #?

The filter assembly is bolted on top of the rocker cover assembly or more likely on the Ford medium duty it is bolted to the back of the engine on top. Real convenient! Posted Image

The crankcase filter has a maintenance interval at 120,000 Kilometers [75,000 Miles] or 2500 Hours.

To get a part number you WILL NEED an engine serial number and need to know where on the engine it is located since there are two different versions. I don't know it is the same part for both. The ESN is on a decal on the engine, ECU or can be retieved with the Insite scan tool.

Last F750 I did was on top at the front - gotta remove the air filter assembly, but it goes pretty quick, IIRC it sets a code when the filter gets too restricted, sets the CEL on.

• 3 months later...