Ontario Mechanics

Rate this topic

Aaron

Renew your Certificate(s) of qualification before April if you can, before the bullshit college of trades raises your yearly renewal from $20 to $120.

Those registered as an apprentice will now have to pay $60 per year per trade that they are registered as an apprentice in.

Is that an affirmative for $120 PER YEAR for us Ontario mechanics? I just got my letter two days ago regarding this. After reading through a few paragraphs, I lost patience and dismissed it as toilet paper.

That's where it says the membershit fees, Mike.

http://www.collegeoftrades.ca/membership/fees

I can't get over the $60 a year to be a freaking apprentice...

When I started my apprenticeship I took home $300 a week, plus I was having to buy tools left right and center, and pay for trade school, fuel, insurance, rent, groceries, etc....

Mine renews in July of this year, and the Ministry Of Training is apparently still renewing licenses because the College of Trades folks apparently don't posses the skills to do it for them yet, and it won't let me renew online - says "not for renewal yet".

Fuck your Government is a bunch of fucking gougers! How in the fuck do you suckers keep voting them steeling mother fuckers back in? Fuck your governemt corrution is all over the news across this country. I never stop hearing about it anymore! There's something new everyday!

Our provincial government ain't much better lately, but the last election gave them a totally different opposition and a message that Albertan's aren't happy!

I don't expire until 2015. I was wondering how that would effect me-if I had to pay in to the "College", and lose what I paid to renew my license last year? There are too many grey areas. But what to you expect from a government that tried to sneak this in on us?

And what does a Red Seal get you in Ontararieoooo? Here in Manitobush it gets you nothing, which is ok because you really don't need it to work in the trade.

No, your license in general.

In Ontario you're required to either be licensed or an apprentice to work in the trade.

AFAIK, red seal doesn't really do much for you in Ontario.

However - Everyone in Ontario who passes their certificate of qualification gets inter-provincial.

"Gold Stars For Everyone" is what it reads to me. I'm not sure why if a guy gets a 70 on his test he should get the exact same wall hanger for someone that gets a 90 or better.

No motivation to get better than a 70.

(FWIW, I got 90% on my test, for those wondering. LOL)

"Gold Stars For Everyone" is what it reads to me. I'm not sure why if a guy gets a 70 on his test he should get the exact same wall hanger for someone that gets a 90 or better.

No motivation to get better than a 70.

Ah! So it's a UNION test? Posted Image

Don't give Osama any ideas, please...

Questions, I looked at the list... If you do the following, do you pay multiple amounts?

Alignments, brakes, general service, electric/electronic, cars, light duty to hd trucks? Since some of us do do more than what each is classified at in their list, it sounds like they would.

What does the coveted red seal mean to you?

"Back in the day", in Alberta, at least, it showed you excelled during your apprenticeship. The interprovincial red seal was awarded to those that achieved a higher score (I recall it to be an 85% average - caution, memory thing happening). Today, I understand it to be a separate, "Caspar Milquetoast" kind of "you get points for spelling your name right" test.

The red seal means absolutely nothing until you "need" it. As an Alberta Journeyman, I can move to any province in Canada and not have to write any certification tests in order to practice my trade. I will be "grandfathered" into the system. As an Ontario or BC or Saskahoovian or whatever - the red seal will make a move to another province relatively painless.

"Membership dues"? Just another way of spelling "cash grab".

Back in 1995 when I received my good to go papers, the apprenticeship test was writen by actual certified mechanics, I believe. The Red Seal was a government thing that the instructors at NAIT said was a joke. Mostly because of the way it was worded. If you knew your stuff, which most of us did, you could pass with no issues if you are adept at reading between the lines. We were given the answers on the D.L. Mostly because some people did fail that had very good in class marks, and the instructors felt that was unreasonble.

Did they give you your hall pass back Jim?!

I have a hard copy of the "Ralph Is A Wiener" thread in my toolbox, I will transpose it to the forum soon.

I am still "persona non grata". If I click on the message board link, I get error 404. There are things I miss about message board (that are generally compensated for by reading here) but the whining (whinging for the Brits)and crying can stay where they are.

Life is like a bowl of corn flakes - somebody is going to piss in it.

Ooooooohhhhh boy, Jim you don't know what you're missing. Here we go, an unamed tech at an unamed dealer in Saskatoon just posted this juicy tidbit regarding his disapproval for having his posts repeatedly removed:

Quote:
Instead of pulling my posts off this site maybe someone at FORD mOTOR COMAPANY should have the guts to give me a call.