cab on engine out

Rate this topic

Benny Hill now that was great ENTERTAINMENT.

I can see the chase in my head now.....cool

Now I am going to be whistling that theme song all day!

So I have a customer pay job I may be getting ahold of that i would like to try this new found glory on.

How does this procedure compare to the standard slts on labor hours?

Originally Posted By: lmorris
I don't use the engine stand for anything but bed plates now, with the floor slope of our new shop it is a PITA to torque heads without the stand rolling away on me

That would make a funny Benny Hill skit. I could just picture some tech running down a hilly street chasing an engine on a stand with torque wrench in hand.

There has to be a bunch of girls getting chased by the engine.

So I have a customer pay job I may be getting ahold of that i would like to try this new found glory on.

That all depends on how fast you can have the cooling stack out. I haven't noticed a whole lot of time difference. It just helps you out when you are stuck not lifting the cab. IMO

Originally Posted By: DieselD

That all depends on how fast you can have the cooling stack out. I haven't noticed a whole lot of time difference. It just helps you out when you are stuck not lifting the cab. IMO

I am in the process of moving shops and wont have a lift for a while so Ill be kinda stuck without the ability to lift the cab.

it is a PITA to torque heads without the stand rolling away on me

I stand on the engine stand to torque so the assembly won't try to roll away on me...

• 4 months later...

The next time I have to remove a 6.4L I think I'm doing it this way.

I liked Benny Hill as a kid but my mom sai it gave her nightmares and she really didn't want me watching it.

• 4 months later...

Hello, just wondering if the chain was mounted on the front turbo hold down clamp only or did you use both. Or exactly how did you chain her up? Thanks for any help i have a complete on a tow truck and want to use this method.

I put the chain underneath both hold down clamps.  Holds the engine level and I have no issues getting anything to line up going back together.

I used both mounting bolts, in the 3rd picture on the 1st page there is a decent shot of the chain going over the turbo. One thing you will notice right off, the turbo bolts will not fit through those chain links. I used a couple of those largish screw together link thingys on the chain for the bolts to go through. It bends them making them a one time use so don't spend too much on them if you get some at a hardware store.

The chain is bolted down with the 2 large turbo pedestal bolts.

AWESOME! Thanks for the tips fellas. Only thing i can see being a pain is the alignment going back in. Can starter motor, motor mounts, come out with assembly? And can the down pipe stay attached to the rest of the exhaust?

Posted Image

• 1 month later...

Got er out and on the stand this morning. A little tight, I had to go a little higher on the partial cab lift than I thought. Worked well though, thanks for the tip on the chain between the pedestal bolts.I have a 6.0 head bolt I welded an eyelet on but I would only trust it lifting a shortblock, not a complete

image.jpg

• Like 1

I just pulled a 6.4 complete cab on last week, waiting for parts now unfortunately. I used 2 6.0 head bolts and the OTC 7100 Lifting eye set, set both lifting eyes so the hook from the hoist looped thru both eyes and picked it up and out. Using the lifting eyes I didn't have to modify any chain links, and I have 2 sets of the lifting eyes that I use for lifting a lot of things, they've picked a complete Detriot series 60 so a little 6.4 is nothing to em. One set has the original 1/2 hole, the other I have drilled out to 5/8" for larger bolts.