shop tour

Rate this topic

Brad Clayton

Thought I would share some pics of my new shop and poke some fun at the same time. This shop is ancient. Here is the alignment machine.

Posted Image

And of course you gotta have on of these.

Posted Image

Here is the bay I started out in 3 months ago.

Posted Image

This wall makes it difficult to work on anything related to this side of a vehicle.

Posted Image

I just recently got upgraded and I am now in the back of the shop which has 6 bays at my disposal.

Posted Image

I have some work to do to clean up and organize this area. First off, this is the walk way to the exit door. When you have an ambulance in this bay, you can't even walk through here hardly. All this stuff is getting moved.

Posted Image

This old and feeble press is going all the way into that corner by the garage door, and the bench will get moved to here.

Posted Image

Then I have to tackle this dumping ground.

Posted Image

This is one of the 3 lifts in the back and I hated these things when I first started in the 80's. Nearly 3 decades later and I don't like them any better. These lifts get the car in the air.....but if you want to get any work done on said car they blow.

Posted Image

Controls for the lift.

Posted Image

Now you would think that this is an ordinary.....uh well a knife of some sort, right?

Posted Image

Buuuttt it's actually a special tool to hold the lift up/down control lever open for that "hands free" operation. :D

Posted Image

I can't post pics of the inside of my new shop, but it is clean, so well lit you might need sunglasses, which I like. I can't stand dark shops.

There is the same "special tool" on the other side of the shop here!

I wish I could post pics of our "gas caddy" lets just say it came from a 1950 Dairy Farm.. three parts... bottom.. cover.. and a piece of hose.

Having a badass shop is a really nice perk however if the work environment blows dog sack then its not everything. Case in point I went from one of the best shops in the city to a warehouse converted into "work space" but the opportunity couldn't have been passed up

the old

Posted Image

the new

Posted Image

some guys think I went nuts Posted Image

Having a badass shop is a really nice perk however if the work environment blows dog sack then its not everything.

Ain't that the truth. The last place I left, they asked me why I was leaving. I told them that moral sucks, the service advisors all fight over who's work get in first and it disrupts the flow in the shop, and with the Fastlane and the new owner's brought in truck shop supertechs, there is very little work. They replied by saying how about a little raise, I said a raise means shit when there is no work for a flat rate tech. They then said, we are upgrading the shop with new benches and cabinets for everyone, how about that? I laughed and said no thanks. Next day they asked if I wanted to go out for a nice lunch and discuss things. I said sure, take the flat rate tech off of work that he badly needs for a "Nice lunch." No thanks. I said if you want to feed me go get me a double big mac combo with a coke and let me get back to work. That was the best tasting big mac I ever had. 1 week later I was gone.

Sometimes it's not about the looks of the place.

At the last place I worked, we waited for years for a new shop. We finally got one, and it was beautiful. So I had to leave. The old place was crowded, old, sometimes dirty, but it was paid for, so we all benefitted from our hard work. We were always full to capacity because of our relatively small size. In the new shop, all of a sudden we are under a whole bunch of pressure to produce more, because the new shop had to be paid for. The "perks" that we enjoyed as being part of a team in the old shop were replaced by having to feed the new place, so I said bye bye.

In the new shop, all of a sudden we are under a whole bunch of pressure to produce more, because the new shop had to be paid for. The "perks" that we enjoyed as being part of a team in the old shop were replaced by having to feed the new place

ding ding ding, we have a winner. My boss is all about money, I doubt good employees would matter much if they're not producing hours.

I've been predicting this exact situation for months now. Call me a pessimist I don't care, everyone but me is excited for the new shop. I could only hope that the service personell gets an overhaul.