Pics from the Louisville Truck Show

Rate this topic

Technology marches on. I see the camshaft is made from lobes affixed by forcing a ball through the hollow cam. Trapezoidal con rod small end to give the wide point where piston pushes down towards rod and the wrist pin braced more where the small end narrows. That seems to be the new thing in rods. It seems they managed to make this one work with one cooling system.

That looks to be a second chain for the oil pump or is that a balance shaft module with integral oil pump? 5's don't have to have balance shafts but there is a low rev quiver that they may have found a solution to.

I can only find rocker fulcrum on top of the rockers. I wonder if it is hydraulic lash adjuster (can't imagine it is not with that arrangement)?

Looks like a CP3 pump. Love to see the finished installation into vehicle for the accessibility of that.

Odd injector hold down. One bolt for two injectors on two of the pairs and two bolts for the middle injector.

If they build them engines half as good as that cutaway was constructed then she will last forever. That's an awesome cutaway, not too crazy about all that stuff on the back of the engine though.

... not too crazy about all that stuff on the back of the engine though.

Well that would be a matter of the access we are going to have to the engine. If there is an engine cover in the cab no big deal. Now we need to see a Transit with the hood open so we can see what we will be up against. Hopefully this thing won't have problems. Posted Image

The Eco 1.0 is kinda copying my pressure washer, a Honda GC with an internal oil covered timing belt. Go figure. I wonder if they use the "resin" camshaft and rockers too! Posted Image

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure if I like the idea of a chain driven cam on a diesel. I thought most diesels use a gear to gear setup.

Just be glad they didn't use a belt.

Ever see the gear drive up the front (or back) of a 4-53? The silence is awesome when it all goes wrong. I don't think there is a good solution for a overhead cam diesel, especially when operators insist on idling them all day.

• 2 months later...

Looks like the rocker fulcrums are Duratec SHLAs (Stationary Hydraulic Lash Adjusters) mounted upside-down in the upper cam bearing block. Pretty slick! There is an oil passage that feeds them and possibly the cam bearings too.

From the dipstick tube routing proximity to the turbine housing, that oil dipstick could be red-hot (right where you initially grab it to wipe it off) if the engine was worked hard immediately prior to checking the oil.