Where's grumpy.... er, grampy?

Rate this topic

Jim Warman

'mornin, lads. For the past two weeks, this old man has been languishing in the Royal Alexandra Hospital in Edmonton. It appears that I've contracted a wee touch of lung cancer (can't have anything to do with smoking, right?).

Looks like we begin therapy Monday.

Two thoughts - if you or someone you love is a smoker - now is a good time to stop and thank the Canadian taxpayers for universal health care.

The corner of the building I occupy gives my wireless modem conniptions but I'll drop in when time and circumstance allow.

I am sorry to hear of your illnes Jim. Cancer is not the automatic death sentence it once was so I wish for you a successful recovery endeavor.

Smoking should not be only concern. In our industry we expose ourselves and each other to many sources of chemicals and toxins. From running vehicles without exhaust hoses, spraying chemicals and raising brake dust... and so on. All things we can greatly reduce if we simply put our minds to it.

I quit smoking many years ago cold turky and with one attempt. My wife tried for several years and made 3 or 4 attempts before succeeding. Quitting is the best advice. Wanting to is 90% of the battle.

GET WELL! Posted Image

I'm sure that there are many factors that led to my current predicament - it's just that demon weed is an easy peg to hang ones hat on. I took it as my main task to keep those around me happy and upbeat..... that way it will be easier for me to remain positive.

Gonna be a tough row to hoe - be we are hoping for some nice turnips.

My wife seems to be holding up well even with the added strain of her condition. We'll keep you guys abreast of all the latest medical marvels and pretty nurses.

When we were stuck in Westlock in May of 2011, me and my son shared an air card. After, he took it for when he is in Red Earth or wherever. They have internet for hire bu the prices suck - so does their TV. I can watch better TV for free in the lobby than I was paying for in the roo.

Thanks for all the good wishes and support from eveyone. I told the doc he can tell me what he's gonna do, when he's gonna do it, why and how. He does NOT get to tell me if it's gonna work or not.

They are transporting me to the Cross Cancer institute for my first appointment today. I have no idea what is about to happen. Soon as I know, I'll tell you, buddy.

Jim, I'm at a loss for words after reading this.

I just received a phone about three weeks ago by my uncle to inform me that father has been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer!!! To add to this, I hadn't been on speaking terms with my parents in over seven years due to a major falling out I had with him. About three Sundays ago, was the first time I saw him since the "dispute". I couldn't believe how yellowed his eyes are, and how emaciated his entire upper body is, almost to the point of appearing like skin and bones.

Between bringing him to appointments, and having repeated discussions with my mother, you can imagine the undue stress this has brought to me during the last two weeks.

In any event Jim, I'm rooting for you to make it through this and coming out ahead.

STAY STRONG!!!

So..... we begin what I have come to refer to as "Jimmys Big Adventure".

Tonights episode will rev count today but there is some wild shit from two weeks ago I'll try to remember to mention in the days to come.

Befire 8 ayem today, they let me walk down to the ambulance ad off we went t the W.W.Cross Cancer institute. Met with doctors and nurses and they did tests and interviews and all kinds of doctor stuff. They explained that I would be getting radiation therapy only and told me all the bad shit that it can cause.

Since it is a choice of radiation and have a chance or go home and wait to die, I told them to microwave my brain. Something they said they would do with what seemed to be almost too much zeal Posted Image

Step the next was to make my very own Jason style goalie mask. This is to hold my head in a claustrophobic grip so they don't miss the targets.

After they built the mask and took some CTscans so they could measure and mark aiming points and such, The leave me to wander around while they do their calibration computations.

They did pay for my lunch in their cafeteria - a tasy filet of haddock done cajun style (sadly, not ragin cajun but tasy all the same).

Finally, about 430, they strapped me in and zapped all the spots they had to - no more than a half hour or so - and sent me back "home" just in time for supper (which tastes much better since my sister smuggled in a salt and pepper set).

It took me 62 years but now I am finally an offishul biker. I have "ink". Three tatoos for that matter - three black dots they use as landmarks - what happens if I gain or lose weight and they change position?

Lastly - universal health care. I can't understand some folks reluctance to embrace this. Three ambulance rides (so far), over two weeks in hospital, microwave - I mean radiation treatment (and there are 4 more of them plus 8 more ambulance rides) all without any "can he afford it?" conversations.

Nightynight time for the old geez. Talk to you guys tomorrow.

I can do this.

Hi Jim,

Hope everything works out well for you. You sound positive, keep it up!

Universal health care, Canadian style is NOT what we're getting with Osamanocare. I wish it was.

We're all going to be paying through the nose for nothing down here.

I'm rootin for ya Jim. Don't know what else to say. Hope to see ya outa there soon! I have a few customers on my route that have gone through treatments and have all licked this and I'm confident in all the new technology. My mom made it through this crap about three years ago as well. I'll keep watchin for your progress. Take care Man!

Personally know a couple of people that have beaten cancer. We are all rooting for you Jim. Prayers and thoughts to you and your family.

The last of my radiation treatments will be Monday. I'm going to try to talk them into taking my pic in my "Jason" mask. I should be back home middle of next week.

After my treatment this afternoon (Thurs), they told my I was rescheduled for Sat. AM and release after. Wife has Drs on Mon and we will on way home.

My own bed and my own crapper.