FICM Question

Rate this topic

I've been out of the dealer since about mid 2010, and haven't been doing a whole lot of stuff on the side lately.

Are any of you guys seeing repeat FICM failures? I mean, you've changed a half-shell or complete FICM and it's gone for a dump again, low voltage?

I'm just wondering if any improvement was made in the FICM or the half-shell's voltage parts to aid in longevity, or it's just the same part again.

I haven't personally seen any coming in with repeat failures with the ABRM models. I believe I've had ONE repeat AARM failure personally. There has to be something being done to make them beefier during the reman process.

I'm not a big fan of half-shell replaements. In my experience, they end up with a complete FICM within a year. I only do half-shells if it's warranty.

Same here, It never failed that the FICM would take a dump in a different manner after a half shell replacement on a CP job. I always push the full ficm replace on a CP job and only did the halfshell repair on a warranty job.

I've sold hundreds of the halfshells in the past couple years with no warranty claims. The revised solder and components seem to be doing their job.

• 1 month later...

Funny you mention it Aaron, had 2 fail in the last month. One failed after the road test and went to fire it up to move it and it was dead and the other failed after being in service a week.

Gonna come down Windsor way in a weekend or two, you wanna get together for dinner or something?

I might bring the Malibu, if the weather isn't as fucking brutal hot as it was this weekend. Not that the car overheats, but the driver sure does!