Question of the day

Rate this topic

Brad Clayton

What do you do when your 2003 Focus won't start because the ignition cylinder will not turn?

Well, you grab a hammer and you beat the hell out of the end of the key while trying to turn it with a pair of pliers.

Now the key turns (although the transponder chip flew out of the end of it and is laying on the asphalt beside the car) but it still won't start and the theft light is flashing, what next?

Duh, it's quite obvious, you replace the starter motor.

OK, still no start?????

Take the fuse panel out, jump some relays, blow some fuses, then throw in the towel and tow it to the dealership.

The key was mangled so badly that copying it made it quite difficult. One cylinder, 2 keys and 45 minutes later the vehicle was back in the customers hands. Morale of the story is the dealership ain't such a bad alternative.

• Like 1

The thing that usually follows is "You charged me how much to make a key?" 

When people like that look at what you billed them, they NEVER consider how much they have already wasted somewhere else, or destroyed themselves.

For those of us who chose to purchase our own IDS, few ever consider the personal expense involved with not only the initial purchase, but also the cost of the subscription.

OK... maybe a bit of a hyjack but somewhat relevant.

I work for Pep Boys. Customer comes in yesterday around 4:00Pm with a brake shake complaint. When tech drove the car a massive amount of black smoke came out of exhaust. Customer is horrified at said "abuse". Customer goes absolutely ballistic because he was "trying to tear the car up by driving it too aggressively". Threatened to call police. Refused to allow tech to work on the car. Another tech removed wheels and mic'd rotors. Meanwhile customer calls husband. Husband says if it needs rotors we had to install the for free due to above abuse...parts & labor.

Apparently the customer is a left foot brake'r. She must hold the throttle at 1/4 and control speed with the other pedal.

And they did it. Shop installed rotors, parts & labor FREE! 

I would have thrown her out-in-the-street! She is going to trash the shop anyway so why bother doing anything to the car?

OK... maybe a bit of a hyjack but somewhat relevant.

I work for Pep Boys. Customer comes in yesterday around 4:00Pm with a brake shake complaint. When tech drove the car a massive amount of black smoke came out of exhaust. Customer is horrified at said "abuse". Customer goes absolutely ballistic because he was "trying to tear the car up by driving it too aggressively". Threatened to call police. Refused to allow tech to work on the car. Another tech removed wheels and mic'd rotors. Meanwhile customer calls husband. Husband says if it needs rotors we had to install the for free due to above abuse...parts & labor.

Apparently the customer is a left foot brake'r. She must hold the throttle at 1/4 and control speed with the other pedal.

And they did it. Shop installed rotors, parts & labor FREE! 

I would have thrown her out-in-the-street! She is going to trash the shop anyway so why bother doing anything to the car?

Did you at least charge them for brake pads? I hope there is no warranty on the rotors at least.

Fellow once taught me where to drill a small 1/8" hole in the back side of the column that you could put a pick through, and push that offending part back into the lock cylinder and twist the key.

Takes longer to key-up the new cylinder than it does to get the old one out. Awesome.