12-11-11 18.3 hours.........c'mon!

Rate this topic

any way to coax more time out of this?

Refuse to do the job, unless your service manager is willing to pay you internally over and above what the TSB pays.

I think replacing the long block should pay 18.3 plus cab removal and diagnosis. There is a lot of work to do.  I would say I have close to 30 hours punch time on this one...  Keeping in mind, it is my first one, but I don't think I can match 18.3 on my 20th one.

I think replacing the long block should pay 18.3 plus cab removal and diagnosis. There is a lot of work to do.  I would say I have close to 30 hours punch time on this one...  Keeping in mind, it is my first one, but I don't think I can match 18.3 on my 20th one.

I'm right there with you on time.

Mike? You have never seen a warranty claim bounce because a it wasn't coded out to an applicable TSB? I have and more than once. I suppose that if you can find a way around using it then well sure. Go for it. The thing about this TSB is that once again diagnostic time is all but eliminated. By the time you determine that the engine is toasted you possibly could have a couple hours into the job. What's more Ford does not want you to disassemble the engine and will not pay you to do so if it falls under the coverage of the TSB.

The time sucks. I am not a lightning fast tech - never was. There are many things I get done quickly however. Diesel engines are one thing I do not rush BECAUSE they are so labor intensive and expensive. If you screw it up you can screw up big!

There are days I miss the technology of being in the bay! I loved the technology! Yeah I know I'm fucking sick right? :crazy: But reading posts like this make me so darned happy, I'm not part of the cut throat, starve your fucking children bullshit anymore! :thumbup:

There are days I miss the technology of being in the bay! I loved the technology! Yeah I know I'm fucking sick right? :crazy: But reading posts like this make me so darned happy, I'm not part of the cut throat, starve your fucking children bullshit anymore! :thumbup:

you and me both! It was really discouraging to get short changed time and time again and still trying to keep your quality repair values

I don't rush any kind of big job either. What I DO have a problem with however, is being told to repair a vehicle and in the same sentence being told I'm not going to get paid for it (in fancy words of course). Those are the kinds of situations where I let the vehicle sit outside to grow plants under it, so to speak.

• Like 1

Not to be a boob....I have done 4 long blocks so far, 2 under the TSB, and have come in just under the times on all 4. Remove the battery tray, degas bottle and CAC as a unit, Take apart the intake tubing. Take your cooling stack out. Tear down the front of the engine in chassis, remove the intakes, remove the EGR cooler, remove the crankcase vent system, remove the turbo, LEAVE the drivers side up pipe in place.  LEAVE the oil pan on. Then proceed with the rest of the removal. Reverse to install. The WSM is a little off on this one as far as order of removal goes.