Header wrap

Rate this topic

Aaron

Peeled header wrap off a set of headers on a raptor today.

Judging by the condition of the wrap and the color of the header tunes, the tune was a little lean (has a whipple on it).

I had on gloves, long sleeves, respirator, and safety glasses and hat. (Keep in mind this was a bench job, not on the truck)

I still want to burn all my skin off with a torch it itches so freaking bad.

I don't know how guys bang fiberglass insulation in all day in construction, but I'd rather drink my own bath water than do that for a living.

In conclusion, fiberglass sucks.

Your itchy buddy,

The Big Angry Hillbilly.

That kind of describes the discomfort I feel, after I've done battle in the engine compartment of a 6.0L that some other hack has been into and tore the firewall insulation.

Yes! I was just going to say Aerostar  intake and head replacement. I sued to take duct tape to my arms after those to get rid of that crap. Try cold water rinse too. It seems that home insulation is held together better  it seems to not bother as much. 

• 4 weeks later...

The headers on my hotrod are wrapped, were wrapped by the previous owner.

I don't forsee me ever wrapping them again if there's an issue that requires me removing it.

I will likely get them Jet Hot coated. Underhood heat is a non-issue in my car anyhow.

Jet Hot coating is the only way to go. It will keep the underhood temp down, it's amazing how cool the pipes are. My race car is a Mustang roadster and the front end comes off to work on it and I have to make my own headers and I have them Jet Hot coated. After making a pass one day I was changing the timing on it and the timing light wires were laying on the header for a while, with the engine running, before I noticed it and it didn't even do anything to the wires. Sometimes I will accidently lean on the header with my leg and won't feel anything, but of course that's with a fire suit on.

That's pretty sweet. As for under hood on my car there is a LOT of space under the hood. Even a hard pass at the drag strip, no inner fenders and a very open cowl moves air through the engine compartment at an alarming rate. Lol.

If I change my headers I am going to go to a bigger primary tube likely and will probably end up going around the frame so wrapping won't be an option.

What style of racing are you doing?

Local bracket racing and NHRA Super Gas. I'm .05 of a second to slow for Super Comp. It runs 8.95 in the 1/4 at 155 mph with a 557 big block Ford, I haven't raced since my boy was born 8 years ago and so far he's not interested in a junior dragster but he does want me to get my car going again. I need to do some upgrades on my chasis before I can run again since NHRA is always changing the rules.