has anyone seen a person get a oil bath with a 6.7?

Rate this topic

leavnon3rd

i was fortunate to witness  for my third time someone dropping the plastic drain plug on a 6.7 and take a head to toe oil bath.

while i understand how dangerous it could be, myself and a few other guys cant help but laugh hysterically.

we all do jackass things from time to time but this def sucks, but it makes my day

anyone else exp. this?

Funny to read this. I just literally saw our apprentice doing an oil change on one, on the floor with the oil draining everywhere else but inside the drain bucket.

Got close a couple times myself. A 3 foot extension and being careful turns an environmental catastrophe into a walk in the park.

There's a lot of things that can take someone by surprise....... over and over and over and...... :rofl:

I have been known to utter "Didja get any in the bucket?"

A little off topic, but another tech in the shop ended up with the fuel tank falling off a transmission jack and gasoline going everywhere while the tank swung around dangling by the filler neck like a pendulum. He was in the middle of doing a 13S04 recall on a '13 Fusion.

9 times out of 10, I do 6.7 oil changes on the floor.  The pan I use catches the oil very well without spilling a drop...  As long as there are no oil filters in the pan.  Apprentices don't touch anything diesel related here (other than our truckshop apprentice), so they never get the pleasure of learning the hard way.

I have seen it a couple times and always just as hilarious as the first....

6.4 lower hose is always a classic as well. I still manage to get it on myself somehow and I am prepared for it. Just one of those things no matter what you do your going to get a coolant bath

6.4 lower hose is always a classic as well. I still manage to get it on myself somehow and I am prepared for it. Just one of those things no matter what you do your going to get a coolant bath

NOT ME. I get the apprentice to disconnect it and then clean up the mess they make.

I have a 4 foot piece of plywood that I put on the oil change caddy with 3 drain pans lined up, the middle one gets the big extension pan, then hit the hose with a long pry bar. Most times I catch every drop and stay dry.

Know the push pins that holds each side of the lower hose? Only release one side, then you can gradually separate the two halves.

Yep - and I put a lift drain with my trans fluid pan right under it and use a 4' pry bar to slowly separate the hoses. like you said, gradually. Patience will keep you and the floor dry.

I too use the long prybar. The genius who designed our shop did not put in a floor drain. I work in the low corner and a lot of the water ends up in my bay. They are building a new shop that will be a 15 minute drive instead of 2 minutes. I am positive it will have a drain.

NOT ME. I get the apprentice to disconnect it and then clean up the mess they make.

Im not that lucky to have a helper :thumbup:

or even a lift for that matter. Doing it on the ground tends to make more of a mess :crazy: