2006 Explorer runs rough

Rate this topic

Brad Clayton

Vehicle came in with a runs rough kinda deal. The customer had performed a tune up but couldn't get the number 4 plug out. He threw in the towel and brought it to us to finish the "tune up". This is a SOHC engine and I wasn't aware of any problems with getting to the number 4 plug, so I was weary to so the least.

I barely made it around the building with it and it was running horribly and chugging some serious smoke out the back. It finally stalled and had to be pushed into my bay. IDS reported this:

Posted Image

And then

Posted Image

And then

Posted Image

At this point I tried a manual compression test but the spark plug pulled some threads out of the head. The customer approved head removal and.....................

Posted Image

Posted Image

It seems someone had "repaired" the spark plug hole with a helicoil kit and pushed the helicoil into the cylinder and, well, it got a FQR longblock.

I'm on my phone so it's hard to see... But does your avatar say "I throw poop", ktmlew?

Yes...it was intended as an insult on another board so I adopted it as my avatar. It's actually pretty accurate. :rockon:

Is that a heli-coil or is it a "save-a-thread" sleeve that is threaded on both sides? Those things are brutal, especially when guys do the on vehicle repair. It is a shame when someone will pay someone else to wreck their engine.