Mustang ball joint replacement

Rate this topic

This is a 2003 femstang with a couple of noisy ball joints.

Posted Image

Believe it or not a.....fella :scratch:  drives this thing :puke: to each his own, I guess.

Gonna be putting a pair of these in.

Posted Image

I mark the rotor to the hub.

Posted Image

And the spring to the control arm so I will know if it rotates by accident.

Posted Image

I remove the caliper and pad bracket as an assembly.

Posted Image

I remove the sway bar top hardware and only loosen the bottom hardware.

Posted Image

I chain the spring to the control arm for safety and it keeps the arm from falling down any lower than needed to get the ball joint free of the knuckle. The retaining nut is tucked away but easily removed with a wrench. I loosen the nut a couple of turns.

Posted Image

I give the knuckle a couple of sharp hits and break the joint loose.

Posted Image

I bring the car down and support the arm with a jack stand, remove the nut, and bend the backing plate back a smidge so the control arm will clear when lowered down.

Posted Image

The control arm is lowered down and once the knuckle is free, the strut is ratchet strapped over out of the way.

Posted Image

Now for some interesting notes. The ball joints on Explorers, Rangers, older F-150s, mutstangs, and pretty much anything with shallow ball joints and these stamped steel A-arms can be hammered out without a press. Guys in the shop can judge you by how many swings it takes to knock one out. And you better bet if they see what your doin they will be listening. So if you swing a hammer like a bitch, you might want to wait til everybody is at lunch to do this job. :grin:  This one came out with 2 hits, so my man card is still in tact.

Posted Image

This setup worked perfect for reinstallation.

Posted Image

I opted not to use the supplied retaining nuts (lots of nasty looking Loctite) and reused the originals because the nylock insert was still intact.

Posted Image

The rest was just reassembly of disassembly.

Thank you fellas, all in a days work. I haven't worked on a diesel in about 3 weeks. I'm scrounging up whatever I can for work.

Are you really missing anything?

Enjoy your moments of being the Billy ball joint and Bobby brake shoe for a change. It definitely is an easier way to keep the bills paid.