SSM 4490

Rate this topic

mchan68

Jan 09 2014 4490 -6.0L Diesel Engine - Injection Pressure Regulator (IPR) contamination - Oil Cooler Seal Inspection

Some vehicles equipped with a 6.0L diesel engine may exhibit a lack of power, stalling and/or hard starting with or without a MIL and Diagnostic trouble codes (DTC) P2290, P2291 and/or P2284 due to a loss of Injection Control Pressure (ICP) in the high pressure oil system. This may be due to green-colored seal material contaminating the injection pressure regulator (IPR). During normal diagnostics, if green colored seal material is found on the IPR it is advised to remove the oil cooler and inspect the oil cooler cover seal for deterioration and also check the reservoir for further seal material. Ford factory and Ford remanufactured oil cooler cover seals are blue in color. Damage caused by faulty aftermarket components is not warrantable.

GREEN coloured oil cooler cover seals? I don't think I've ever heard of or even seen these before.

Yeah, this SSM seems like it is wayyyyyyy out there. How the hell would the seal materia from a good seal end up in the oil and pass the HPOP filter screen anyway?  Seems like if the seal failed then there would be a huge oil leak that would get someone's attention.  I guess there is some type of seal out there that most of us have yet to come across. I too have only seen the old back seals and the newer blue seals.

There was a thread on IATN a few months ago concerning something like this. A few guys were installing Dorman oil coolers and then a few months later the base gasket would fail and get sucked into the HPOP. 

I just find that scenario very odd as the gasket is a seal that is in a channel in the cover and the cover mates flush with the block. So the seal really gas no way to escape the channel AND since oil is under pressure and not vacuum how exactly does the material end uo in the reservior? Only thing that comes to mind is if the gasket is different in some way or is not installed properly by not being seated into the channel. I guess we would need to see one... 

:scratch:

I have one right now with a dorman oil cooler that has had the base gasket come apart and almost plug the oil cooler reservoir filter. Its like they used the wrong type of rubber to make the seals, it has swelled up. I will take pictures tomorrow.

• 2 months later...

So they're using the cheapest shit gaskets they can get and they are not oil compatible.

The set that comes with the Dorman EGR cooler is not real nice either.

I just saw a flyer from a local "cheap" parts house guy that cold called on my shop. Not wanting to be a dick I half heartily flipped through the flyer while he was giving his speech. I came across the Dorman section and it looks like they are getting their hands in all kinds of 6.0 parts. Oil coolers, EGR coolers etc. They even had a FICM halfshell listed! The prices where not that far off what ford parts are. Trying not to laugh I tossed the flyer in the trash and told the guy to leave as I would never be buying the crap they had to sell.