DEF in the fuel tank. My first one

Rate this topic

Hello everyone! Just got my first DEF in the fuel tank on a 20110 F-250. I wasn't informed by the service advisor that the customer put in a 1/4 of a gallon of DEF until later. Came in for water in the fuel and reduced engine power. So i went to replace fuel filters since the advisor said the customer  had never changed his fuel filters at 60k miles. I go to change the filter at the pump and the cap cracked when i loosened it. So i blamed it on lack of maintenance and sold him the pump. I drive it up to the customer and the wif light came back on with reduced engine power. This is when the customer told me that he put the 1/4 bottle of def in the tank yesterday and that called and mentioned it to the advisor and the advisor said it should be ok and that it its ok to drive and tomorrow bring it in because it just need filters. WTF!!! Anyways my question fellas, being its my first one, and lets for example believe that only 1/4 tank of the DEF was put in. Can i just drain the tank and replace the filters and wish for good luck? Or are we replacing every fuel system component at this point? btw check codes and had a P0284 in memory. Sounds like this stuff might of gotten into the injectors by now.

The answer is NO! and it should also not be run at this point. DEF is very corrosive and will quickly damage the fuel system. The ENTIRE fuel system on the engine needs to be replaced along with the fuel pump on the rail. The fuel tank must be removed, cleaned and dried. There are several topics here in this section on this problem. Also be aware that there is a service kit that contains all of the engine fuel system parts in one box.

I repaired one truck that blew the engine because the high pressure fuel pump seized while it was being driven......  we have quite a few pictures of these failed parts too.

And, many insurance companies cover this kind of mistake/stupidity.

• Thanks. Just found the service job aid for repair kit it lists all components. I observed the fuel pump filter and i see the crystals from DEF. It doesnt look too bad. No way of draining the tank and filter replacements on this? The hp system does need to be replace in entirety? also labor for all the work, what do you charge. Thanks again for your help.

EC3Z-9B246-A is the part number for the entire kit. I would also appreciate if anyone of you fine gents would be willing to take pictures of everything included in this kit for future reference.

I charged 25 hours for the last one I did.  Took way less time.  Don't count on the water separator to removed DEF from the fuel (as we had a customer do)...  The water separator will only remove the water portion of the solution, not the urea.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Acts of stupidity cannot be intentional by definition therefore they are accidental. 

stu·pid adjective ˈstü-pəd, ˈstyü- 1.not intelligent : having or showing a lack of ability to learn and understand things 2.not sensible or logical 3.not able to think normally because you are drunk, tired, etc.

• 10 months later...

30 hours for every one I do.insurance pay's because they say this falls under an accident. :surprise:

WOW!!!  I've got one here where the customer put half a gallon of DEF in the fuel tank and ran it for 5 minutes.

• 2 weeks later...

EC3Z-9B246-A is the part number for the entire kit. I would also appreciate if anyone of you fine gents would be willing to take pictures of everything included in this kit for future reference.

I did one this week, here you go Mike:

Posted Image

The kit contains HP pump, injectors, steel lines (including pressure and temperature sensors), injector return line asy, and fuel rails (including pressure control valve).

The other things I needed which did not come included: low pressure fuel pump, fuel filters, gaskets for the EGR pipes, vacuum pump gasket, coolant, fuel. Depending on what your system is contaminated with, you may also want to replace the fuel cooler even though the job aid for 6.7 doesn't list it as required.

• Like 1

Was there always a core charge on these? Most of the ones I installed were replacing grenaded pumps and injectors that were solidly gunked up from the DEF. I charged the customers for the core thinking that the pump and injectors were not salvageable at all. 

The other things I needed which did not come included: low pressure fuel pump, fuel filters, gaskets for the EGR pipes, vacuum pump gasket, coolant, fuel. Depending on what your system is contaminated with, you may also want to replace the fuel cooler even though the job aid for 6.7 doesn't list it as required.

VERY important to know especially when putting together a quote and before ordering parts. It is also important to include removing and rinsing out the fuel tank.

I thought there was a no fault core policy. We have not been charged for engines with holes in the side and cracked transmission cases. I thought the pump in the service kit was brand new. The rails and injectors were reman but could be wrong.

I have no accurate info on cores. I am assuming that completely destroyed cores are worthless. Perhaps I shouldn't assume but it is difficult to collect from a customer after the bill has been paid and the truck is gone. Not to mention I do not want to be held responsible if that situation were to arise. At least one grenaded pump went to a good cause for the benefit of others. ;)  I think I still have a set of 6.7L injectors plugged solid with DEF crystals too! 

Yes there was a core charge and a yellow core sticker on the box. I didn't put everything back in the box for core return, just the pump and injectors. I don't think anything else could have any value to anyone. (If I find out otherwise through an unwanted meeting in the manager's office I'll let you guys know). There are things in this world you just don't want to buy "refurbished"... Syringes, bandages, condoms, and contaminated Diesel fuel system components come to mind. (channeling Grampy Jim in that sentence ^^^)

That said, I always thought of core charge as reflection of the value Ford places on having their rebuilding contractors evaluate the viability of a part, and not necessarily a reflection of the value of the part itself. I have to believe the scrap metal bins of various rebuilding contractors are frequently overflowing with things for which core charges were refunded.

I have seen Ford place a core charge on a plastic window regulator. Here is my take on a core charge on a non re-buildable part...Cash Flow.

A couple of ways this generates cash flow is in the form of basically a 0% loan....the core charge is paid for by the dealer or WD, it may be months before the OE has the pay back the core charge. (2) If the core is not returned or not returned correctly... it is free money.

• 5 months later...

Got my first one towed in today. Guy filled his fuel tank with def at a truck stop. He realized it hasnt started the truck but has turned the key on. I showed service advisor the job aid that says to replace system if key turned on. He told customer call your insurance agent and find out if they will cover it. We will see what happens.

• 5 months later...

Cab on. Just have to remove intakes to get to the pump. Some guys like to remove the Egr cooler for better access to the right side injectors. I like to remove the right battery tray instead. You can fish the fuel lines under the EGR cooler, once it is free of the harness on the left side you just turn the left side so it's hanging over the front of the truck and it come right out.

• Like 1