Why me?

Rate this topic

lmorris

Woken up at 2 AM by the police with the information that a fleeing 2007 F350 had hit my 2013 Escape. They never did catch the guy but thankfully got all the information from the licence plate.

Posted Image

Posted Image

These type of things really tick me off. If I was to crash my own vehicle thats one thing, for some dbag to sideswipe it sitting on the street is another. Sure insurance will pay for it and if you happen to find a body shop that acually cares about quality and not the insurance money you will get it fixed like new. However your value will decreased because the vehicle was in a "accident" even trade in values are affected now that people love to check car faxes. No matter how little the damage is if it says "accident" on the car fax people instantly use that to knock the price down. Then there is the headache of dealing will it all!

Good luck to you my friend I feel your pain!

If this was in my part of town it would be a 75% chance the driver had no insurance so your policy would be hit for everything.

Sure insurance will pay for it and if you happen to find a body shop that acually cares about quality and not the insurance money you will get it fixed like new. However your value will decreased because the vehicle was in a "accident" even trade in values are affected now that people love to check car faxes. No matter how little the damage is if it says "accident" on the car fax people instantly use that to knock the price down. Then there is the headache of dealing will it all!

The chances of that particular car ever being repaired back to the condition it was, prior to the event are slim to none. That, along with what you've outlined in the next couple of sentences are all the better reason the car should be written off.

The worst part of it, is that your vehicle value just dropped astronomically.  About 3 years ago, my wife hit a deer with our Flex...  It had a $5000 insurance claim made against it, consisting of a new hood, condensor, grille, 2 headlights, 2 fog lights and a bumper plus a few weeks rental car...  Last year we wanted to trade it in on another Flex, and our trade value was way below wholesale value because the Carfax report showed the claim value (not what was repaired), and they claim it will decrease the price they can sell it at.  We went to 3 other dealerships to try and trade it in, and they all said the same thing.  I sure it's just a way for rat-douchebag used car managers to maximize profit, but we're stuck with the vehicle nonetheless... 

If they don't write it off at least it will be going to a Very good body shop close to where I work. I know they do good work, they send us the mechanical parts of most repairs. We pulled the drivetrain out of a 2010 Escape that they were replacing the entire front clip on. When it came back to have the drivettrain put back in, you couldn't tell it was repaired, AWESOME job done. Besides, if it is fixed, we will most likely keep it for a while. The Windstar it replaced had almost 300,000 Km on it when we gave it to a family member. I plan on doing the same with this one too.

Sure insurance will pay for it and if you happen to find a body shop that acually cares about quality and not the insurance money you will get it fixed like new. However your value will decreased because the vehicle was in a "accident" even trade in values are affected now that people love to check car faxes. No matter how little the damage is if it says "accident" on the car fax people instantly use that to knock the price down. Then there is the headache of dealing will it all!

The chances of that particular car ever being repaired back to the condition it was, prior to the event are slim to none. That, along with what you've outlined in the next couple of sentences are all the better reason the car should be written off.

There is not nearly enough damage to his escape for the insurance to total it, they will fix it. One of our owners had a 2010 Raptor and got rearended by a 90Bronco that fell asleep at the wheel doing about 50mph. It hit the raptor so hard it damn near ripped the bed off the frame. Rear section of the frame was bent, back of the cab smashed in and shoved it into the car in front of him so hood, bumper, fenders, headlights, core support etc was all damaged. They where going to actually repair the vehicle with the first estimates of damage. With some convincing he was able to get them to salvage it as it would have never been the same after reapirs let alone ever have a decent value left

Alex, You describe the very nightmare even the smallest accident can cause. I have heard some people have been able to get reimburnsed by insurance  on lost vehicle value including the damage to the vehicle from the accident. I have not had personal experence however

• 4 weeks later...

Well they fixed it. Pick it up soon, out of paint shop and all the plastic is going back on today, then off for the alignment. The twist to this story is we still don't have the insurance info on the truck that hit my Escape. We have the owner's name and number, but we can't call because that is harrassment. The police, for some reason, are reluctant to give us the insurance info as well. Now I heard from our insurance company that we have run out of our rental allowance and have to return it. We also have to replace the windshield in the rental because it cracked last week. So we now have to pay for the extra time needed on a rental because some lazy fuck-up feels he can help himself to that which is not his. What the hell is wrong with people. If you can't tell, I am a little pissed at the moment.