7.3 IDI Glow plug harness

Rate this topic

BigWalt

Part number is F2TZ-9A451-AI need it badly, former tech hacked it up badly when installing REMAN motor few weeks ago, now I am stuck with this job.Hard starting hot or cold!

The topic title indicates this is an IDI he is working with and the 7.3L IDI was produced and available for the 1994 model year.

Ah yes 1994 the year of many powertrain options for pickups!

Customer is spec'ing out a 1994 F-350 chassis cab and the salesman asked what engine would you like, answered with what can I get?

Well there is a 4.9L  5.0L  5.8L  7.5L  7.3L IDI,  7.3L IDI Turbo and a 7.3L DIT, so what will it be?   :)

My bad, flat rate reading.

I used to make my own up using these terminals, I can't remember if it's .156" or .180" diameter:

http://terminalsupplyco.com/Store/Product.aspx?pc=SSLC-180

http://terminalsupplyco.com/Store/Product.aspx?pc=SSLC-96

:grin:

PS Walt:  If it's hard starting hot, it's not the glow plug system.......

No, it is not glow plug system, but the wiring is hacked by previous tech.This customer is one of the fleet owner and owned over 200 Ford F series trucks. I cannot treat his vehicle like garbage, I just want to make it right.Anyway, hard starting when cold and hot, unfortunately I cannot duplicated it.....:sigh:

I thought the 7.3L DIT engine wasn't available until mid to late '94 as a '95 model. I also didn't know the 7.3L IDI turbo was a factory option. I vaguely recall some aftermarket company offering turbo setups for the 6.9L and 7.3L engines of that era.

I thought the 7.3L DIT engine wasn't available until mid to late '94 as a '95 model.

Common mis-conception. You know how Ford loves to introduce new stuff in mid-year production runs but there were trucks produced with 7.3L DIT engines as 1994 models. I remember I had two customers that had '94 trucks with Power Strokes in them. 

I also didn't know the 7.3L IDI turbo was a factory option. I vaguely recall some aftermarket company offering turbo setups for the 6.9L and 7.3L engines of that era.

Yes Sir! The 7.3L idi Turbo was indeed a factory option. The engine does not just have a turbocharger bolted onto it. While the engine was basically the same it had many changes with two big differences such as different pistons and head gaskets. Yes, there were (and are?) aftermarket turbo kits for the 6.9L and 7.7L idi engines but they are not the same thing as the factory set up. These engines were RARE! I did get to see and work on one a lonnnnnnnnnnnng time ago.

Go to the Coffee Table Books page here in the DTS website under the "Inside DTS tab" and you will find the Coffee Table Book for both engines being discussed here. Take note that the first generation 7.3L DIT book from '94 through '98.

If I remember correctly, the F series was available in 94 with the DIT engine, but only with a manual transmission. 1995 brought about a re flash so that you could actually communicate with the damn things properly. The good ol days ! Doing idi injector pumps under warranty !

Banks made a turbo kit for the idi engines. GM ones, too.

It's kind of like taking a grenade that the pin is already pulled out of, and playing tennis with it.