Mac tools 6L tool kit (worth it?)

Rate this topic

I recently came across the January flyer of Mac tool and saw an interesting 6 liter tool kit with various special 6 liter powerstroke tools including

-IPR socket

-IPR controller (for air testing HPO systems)

-HPO test fittings (one for HPOP fitting and one for ICP fitting)

-quick disconnects for 03- early 04 style HPO rail lines

-a flip socket one side being for the oil filter cap and the other side being for the fuel filter cap

-a pusher tool for safely removing the fuel injectors electrical connector from the cylinder head pass through hole

-a disconnect tool for removing the glow plug harness

-EGR valve removal tool

Total sale price is $284.99 (my mac dealer price is $249.99 + tax)

I' m asking the community if this is a reasonable price for all of these tools...keep in mind that I do not own any of these tools and when doing a job that requires these tool I' am borrowing them from another tech

what are your thoughts...?

IMG_0777.PNG

IMG_0778.PNG

Most of that is included in the Special Service Tools that your dealership should have on hand. You can make an IPR power feed by salvaging a harness connector and making one with some wire and alligator clips. Don't need a special puller fro the EGR valve. BUT a few of those tools, if they are no longer available at your dealer might be worth the cost of the kit. You could probably source them out individually on a need to have basis. If you were working as an independent this would not be a bad investment.  JMHO

3/4 inch 12point socket pushes the injector connectors out. I drilled and tapped a hpop top plug to 1/4 pipe to make a pressure test adapter. I slightly ground 2 door panel trim tools to release the oil line quick connects. I would buy the ipr socket, and that's it. Most importantly you need to have a good fuel pressure gauge and fitting (you can make a fitting also with an old plug). A test ficm is nice also.

Mac rebadges a lot of OTC tools which all of those are. They are definitely useful special service tools but like Keith said the shop should have them. I would check EBay and Amazon first for the OTC versions if your shop doesn't have them. Mac tends to charge more than buying from an OTC retailer.

Snap on makes a nice oil/fuel filter flip socket. Also the IPR controller is not necessary. Here's a pic of the 2 jumper harnesses I use the most. The left is for closing the IPR and it uses the wire flip lock connector instead of the 2 tabs on the side. Those can break easily if you're not careful. The right is for powering the 6.0/6.4 HFCM on. This is helpful on both 6.0 and 6.4s to purge the air after a fuel system repair. After doing a 6.4 fuel system repair you can check for leaks with the cab up. On a 6.0 the rear plugs can be loosened to purge air after a head job making sure the injectors aren't dry fired on the initial crank.

image.jpg

IPR control- not needed?  Ground the IPR return wire (yellow/red, pin 2, center PCM connector, easily accessed on the top row of wires after removing the battery shield) at the PCM KOEO.

Posted Image

OTC 303-755 HP oil disconnect
This tool makes HP oil line removal a snap.  It may be
easily fabricated from an old flat wrench used for changing cutoff (“whizzer”)
tool discs. It has two sizes, large and small:
• 1.325 wide
• .690 throat
• .115 thick

• 1.171 wide
• .565 throat
• .115 thick
The ends are slightly beveled to allow for easier engagement of the tool. When using the tool, do not pry on
it, merely insert the tool to release the fitting, and pull on the hose.
Posted Image

EGR puller- rarely needed,  use a lady's foot prybar and a long screwdriver.

Buy this if you don't make one:

Posted Image

If you work on Econolines I'd recommend this:

Posted Image

Posted Image

The only things you really need to buy are the fittings for the fuel/oil checks.  Early HP oil fitting is kind of hard to find- M 8x1.0 x  ¼” NPT female, the hydraulic stores don't stock it.  The later fitting is the same  for HP oil (IPR hole) as well as FP check- Test tool for ‘04.25 up, you might want to buy 2 of them, one with a 1/4" NPT for air tests and one with an 1/8"NPT for FP tests.

M12-1/4F8OHGS
Parker fitting
Or MMFP121514R
(The same fitting is used for fuel pressure test on F- models)
¼” NPT female x 12mm-1.5 o-ring

Posted Image

Posted Image

:grin:

Bruce...

I love that E series fuel pressure tester! I' m actually working on a van with misfires and could use that tool right now...I know your probably in the United States but could you recommend a store that I might buy some of those fittings and that banjo bolt? or perhaps an online store that I could order those parts from?

Rotunda 310-193 is the 6.0L fuel pressure tester. Works on E and F-series and allows you to simulate WOT fuel consumption while the engine is at idle by bleeding off a calibrated amount.

https://rotunda.service-solutions.com/en-US/Pages/ItemDetail.aspx?SKU=310-193

Also if you have an old 6.4 fuel cooler return line you can make one of these by cutting the line and welding the open end shut. It allows you to adapt to a standard fuel pressure gauge and will work off the fuel bowl or the rear of the head. The banjo bolt is just one of many found on a 6.4

Posted Image

nice! the problem with our shop is that there has been so many different techs that have gone through in the last couple of years (we don't have hoists in the truck shop so most techs can only handle it for a short period of time) for this reason we have seen all of our most common tools (IPR socket, ball joint receiving cups, HPO line disconnect tools, full floating rear axle lock nut sockets, ect...) are all gone. the nice blow moulded red case's are still there but the tools are gone. so I 'm at the point where if I don't purchase these tools myself (or find some other way of doing the job) then there is simply no way of completing the job.

now a sane, full brain functioning person would say "well why doesn't your dealer just replace the needed tools that have gone missing" and to that I reply by saying..."they wont even buy hoists!" lol we have one floor jack and one step platform to share between the 3 truck shop techs...I have been asking for a second floor jack for over a month and a half now.

that's why I ask that if the Mac tools 6L set was of decent value that I would purchase it

You know why toolboxes have wheels, right?

;)

Discount Hydraulic (see above) is cheap and ships, for the HP test fittings.

Doesn't FMC audit/inventory dealers' tool lists occasionally?  I'd drop a dime to the right guy and get an audit scheduled.

I hear you on the lack of shop tools/equipment. We used to be in pretty bad shape too basically not equipped to do trucks at all.  No engine stand, engine hoist or any heavy duty jacks or lifts >9,000lbs.  Anything higher than 10' wouldn't fit in the doors.  Since the new shop opened up though they take it a little more seriously (just a little).  I was lucky and there were no previous diesel guys so all the special tools are around. 

Now our old shop is the new show room.

To answer your question I think the price is reasonable on that set if you want all of it. But like others have said you really dont need alot of them. I own alot of tools that i dont really need but want them.

nice! the problem with our shop is that there has been so many different techs that have gone through in the last couple of years (we don't have hoists in the truck shop so most techs can only handle it for a short period of time) for this reason we have seen all of our most common tools (IPR socket, ball joint receiving cups, HPO line disconnect tools, full floating rear axle lock nut sockets, ect...) are all gone.

I somewhat resent this comment...  In all the years that I worked at Donway, the shop never had full floating axle sockets or ball joint cups.  I purchased my own.  I also had my own IPR sockets, and I have always used a die-grinder wrench to disconnect oil lines, and I've always used a 19mm socket to push injector harnesses through.  They did have IPR sockets and oil line disconnect tools at one time, but those didn't disappear because technicians took them.  They disappeared because the parts department would lend them out to "good customers", and they would never come back.

aww I see...I found the red rotunda box's for a lot of diesel tools that were on the back shelf in the truck shop but all of the most common tools are missing. I was told by management that it was technicians over the year that left with the tools in their box's. I did not mean that as a "shot" or insult towards previous techs. but now I see that I 'm also going to have to purchase these tools for myself as I had to borrow another techs IPR socket again today

sorry for any miscommunication 

aww I see...I found the red rotunda box's for a lot of diesel tools that were on the back shelf in the truck shop but all of the most common tools are missing. I was told by management that it was technicians over the year that left with the tools in their box's. I did not mean that as a "shot" or insult towards previous techs. but now I see that I 'm also going to have to purchase these tools for myself as I had to borrow another techs IPR socket again today

sorry for any miscommunication 

But did you ask your Service Manager to replace the missing equipment? Technically, it is HIS responsibility to ensure that the dealerships tools and equipment are present and in safe working condition.. Wink Wink.

A sane, full brain functioning person would say "well why doesn't your dealer just replace the needed tools that have gone missing" and to that I reply by saying..."they wont even buy hoists!" lol we have one floor jack and one step platform to share between the 3 truck shop techs...I have been asking for a second floor jack for over a month and a half now.

But did you ask your Service Manager to replace the missing equipment? Technically, it is HIS responsibility to ensure that the dealerships tools and equipment are present and in safe working condition.. Wink Wink.

This is crazy.  I'm aware that we don't know all of the details of what's going on, but if I were in your shoes I'd have a deep talk with mgt and give them an ultimatum- If you don't have the required tools and lifts in XXX time, I'm looking for a new job. It is completely absurd to work in conditions you describe. 3 truck techs with no lifts in a dealership?  I've never heard of that before.

Good luck with that.  I worked there for nearly 8 years.  According to the hoist installers, the shop floor will not not support hoists, as the floor is so unlevel on one side of the shop, and there is an old pit that was filled (supposedly with all kinds of junk before being filled with concrete) in another area.  It was a huge fight to get the first hoist, and it was simply due to the fact that we couldn't remove cabs on 6.4 equipped trucks.

Floor problems are not an issue with lifts, it is not a big deal to saw out an area in the floor where a lift goes and pour a new deeper slab to accommodate the lift. Contact the lift mfr(s) and they all have detailed instructions about how to do that.

The real problem is mgmt's refusal to do any of this, I'm sure it added to why you relocated. Chris should contact Mohawk, Bend-Pak, Challenger, Rotary, or any of the lift install companies in your area and they'll walk him through the process. I've even seen trick ceiling/roof modifications for shops that did not have enough roof clearance for a lift. If there's a will, there's a way.

There is no excuse from mgt that would hold water in this situation, it's just plain being stupid, cheap, and short sighted.  Techs will be more productive with a lift and stay employed. Turnover will be less of a problem if the techs are properly equipped and trained.

Duh. Business Management 101 at your local community college will explain all of this.

Good Luck!

Shop equipment wasn't the issue that lead to my relocation.  I was doing a 150km round trip everyday on one of the most congested highways on the continent, and spending so much time away from home that I pretty much missed the first year of my son's life.  That was the reason for my relocation.  Mind you, the equipment I have now certainly makes my job a lot easier, and takes way less of a toll on my body. 

yah management at the shop is very poor when it comes to supplying the truck shop with dissent equiptment. there is a corner of the shop that has become a broken tool graveyard. in the graveyard now is a mobile lift (wheels are broken... it cannot move) a step platform (broken in half) an engine crane (cylinder leaks oil so it wont pressurise) 1 of 2 floor jacks (valve control bolt broken off) and then lots and lots of half empty red rotunda shop cases. when I made a list of all of these tools and gave it to the service manager he said he would not replace any of the tools that were missing "because previous techs had stolen them"  and he said he would replace the shop equiptment that was broken (that was over a month and a half ago) this is the type of place that the only way to get anything done is if I go and buy the equiptment myself and bring in the receipt to get reimbursed. just frustrating because its a lot of effort and time spent on my part because the person responsible (the service manager) cant be bothered to look into it. 

In all honesty, I never really felt they cared about what is going on in that part of the building.  The only thing that kept me coming back there day after day was the amount of money they were paying me.  That engine crane is from the '60s or '70s, I'm sure, and has leaked down since the day I started there.  I asked for a new one a few times and gave up.  The floor jack wheels have been replaced a few times, but not until they were square.