6.4 junk remans

Rate this topic

how many 6.4's are coming in for repeat failure?i have a truck here that is on it's 4th complete motor in 2 month's.they all fail in different way's.

What type of failures are we seeing here? Anytime we get a reman back is usually because the customer cranks up the chip and feels they have to pass everyone on the highway doing 150 km/hr while pulling a trailer.

Mine has 221,000 on it, my buddy has 256,000 on his. No real issues to speak of. We are both pretty fussy on maintenance, and neither truck is stock.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

just saw this thread, it was mentioned today at a monthly "whats going on" meeting, since mid 2014 we have installed 26 reman 6.4 engines,  5 didnt make it 2 weeks before it needed another reman ( come in with torched holes or busted pistons and rods)  and 11 more didnt make it 6 months with out some type of major failure.  If it makes it past the 6 month mark its a good piece. lol

i was told that the people rebuilding the remans for ford cant fix lunch nevermind machine and clearance a engine.

How about complete assemblies with turbo's that don't work. At idle MGP reads -0.19 PSI, rev it up and it DROPS to -2.16 PSI. On road test it wouldn't make boost until over 2700 RPM. It's not the exhaust because EBP stays at 13.9 when idling and the VGT won't cycle either. I first checked it key off and it was stuck, managed to free it up, then it works intermittently, sometimes it cycles when you turn the key on, sometimes it won't. Now you can move it by hand with the engine running, the turbo end of it works because EBP will fluctuate when I move it. Can't use active commands on VGT, and VGT measured shows 99.9% no matter where I move it to by hand. 

one of my tech's just put a complete 6.4l in and it made it 24 hours,came back on the hook with no oil pressure,started the teardown and found the nut on the turbo impeller had come off and started a chain reaction and destroyed 1 head and piston.took out bearings,etc....had a very unhappy tech :mad:

• 3 months later...

Have a complete reman tore down made it 700 miles has 3 burnt pistons with major cylinder wall scoring and 1 head with burnt valve and seat. These things are junk

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...