Tearing down a warranty refusal turbo.

Rate this topic

Posted Image

Ford rejected this one due to dirt ingestion. We got stuck with the bill so they let me take it apart. When I get a chance to tear down further I will add more pictures.

Yeah I've been wanting to take one of those apart. Every one seems like such a catastrophic failure though and it almost seems pointless. I wouldn't mind trying to rebuild one but these cores are junk.

I actually haven't had a single one called back out of dozens of replacements. I snatch the VGT solenoid out of every core though, it's the same as a 6.0 and they're rarely bad. Our parts guy hasn't sold a new solenoid in years and he recently sold me his only one in stock at half of cost.

If I had a better camera you would be able to see that the cage has a crack in it where the alignment pin is for the center section. Not sure if this is common, the cage is pretty thin at that pin.

Morris,

Not to side track but... How did the refusal from Ford process go? How did they know it had dirt ingestion?

You could actually see the dirt stain on the intake side of it. At the time I was rushed to get it diagnosed, fixed and out the door and missed it. The rest of the intake from the air filter was clean, so I am now assuming it was cleaned by someone prior to it coming in with the lack of power complaint. I blamed that little oops on the service advisors, Big boss was upset, but thankfully not with me.

The air filtration on the 6.7 is the worst I have ever seen since I have been with Ford over the past 25 years. I like to think that these engines have 2 main air filters (the actual air filter and then the charge air cooler) and 2 secondary air filters (the black foam thing and the mass air flow sensor) :D

Get the air filter a little wet and don't check if for a few miles.......

Posted Image

Drive in some dusty conditions and hopefully all you need is a turbo.....

Posted Image

Posted Image

• Like 1

Why can't FMC build an air filter properly?  This has been a recurring issue on all PSD's from the early 7.3 to present.  Every generation of PSD has a crucial air filter issue, and I've never seen this on any other manufacturer.........

:shrug:

PS Great pics!

• Like 1

6.0 is least worse but the clips are too few on the clean side end and that end cap can distort and can fail to seal, at least in the sunbelt they do. They could have had a different shape for the de-gas tank and made the filter service easier.

Ditto.  I've seen several in my fleets where the lack of a clip on the passenger side allows the MAF housing (air cleaner outlet housing) to warp from underhood heat, allowing dirty air in the rt side and dusting the turbo and engine.  FMC actually had a bulletin out on this saying that 16mm(5/8") gap was allowed between the housings, because it always looks twisted when viewed from above.

Oh, yea, and it's a PITA to change.  Stupid.  Air filters are a standard service item and should be able to be changed without tools or bandages.

:confused:

GM has their issues with the duramax in pickups, I've seen quite a few with the filters sucked all the way into the compressor. Why they used a panel filter, but the old slug 6.5 had the cylindrical filter in a better set up box. 

From my book:
If you have an early 99 built before 12/17/98, and still have the
original air box opening into the fender, you will also need the clean air hose, P/N
XC3Z-9B659-AA, that runs from the air box to the collar above the valve cover.
Ford kit number: 2U2Z-9K635-AA
Motorcraft PN FA1759

All 3 of my early 99 trucks had the later style airbox when I bought the trucks, which I have long since changed to the AIS kit and run now. Only thing I have an issue with is on a brand new filter I can pull the restriction gauge down on a hard pull.

If I had a better camera you would be able to see that the cage has a crack in it where the alignment pin is for the center section. Not sure if this is common, the cage is pretty thin at that pin.

I'm taking apart a dual boost turbo and it has a crack in the same location. That hub appears to hold the vane posts and looks like it should just press right off. I can see a tiny unison ring under there too

Anyone seen one of the oe severe duty air boxes for the later 7.3's? I stumbled across it one night online. They are still avalible from Ford. I was tempted to order one for mine.

worth every penny. installed one the day after I bought my 7.3

I also upsell these on every 7.3 I see

Here's one I didn't think possible. Had a 6.7 pipeline truck in here today for some work. Jumped in it and noticed the message center said exhaust filter clogged, drive to clean. Fair enough, grab my IDS, check the DPF load pid and it's only 45%. Went right into regen and completed not even 10 miles later. Very weird but I thought nothing of it. The truck is here for some maintenance so while checking the air filter I found this.

The MAF wire clip was wedged in the two halves of the air box allowing quite a bit of dust into the intake. MAF sensor skewed for sure causing regen issues. Cleaned the MAF and inlet duct, reset the tables and drove it again, DPF load pid dropped right down to almost nothing.

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 1

Here are some pics of the dual boost turbo I disassembled. The cage that holds the unison ring and vanes is a press fit. The vanes are similarly sized to the VT365 turbo but the unison ring is much smaller. Same style dished center housing like 6.0s have. The compressor wheel is double sided which we all probably knew. This coupled with ball bearings instead of brass journal bushings is why the turbo spools up so fast. They are not good for much more than stock power levels though.

Here are some pics of the dual boost turbo I disassembled. The cage that holds the unison ring and vanes is a press fit. The vanes are similarly sized to the VT365 turbo I have. The unison ring however is much smaller. Same style dished center housing like 6.0s have. The compressor wheel is double sided which we all probably knew. This coupled with ball bearings instead of brass journal bushings is why the turbo spools up so fast. They are not good for much more than stock power levels though.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg