What's In Your Bay - Part VI

Rate this topic

Keith Browning

Doing a bench overhaul on a torqshift for a bus companies 13 E-450.  Guess why it was pulled, broken coast clutch drum. 

They wanted a master overhaul kit tossed in due to the mileage so I agreed.  Nothing was too bad but the direct piston was coming apart.  Almost all back together and I can't get the pump to drop all the way in.  I screwed around for a while pulling the coast assembly and O/D crap back out then back in.  Had to give up for the night. 

I still don't know what's going on with the 6.0 school bus but I did find out it came directly from another larger dealer north of here that can't fix it. 

The torqshift left today, I will know tomorrow if it's all okay.  I needed to put on a new set of the white Teflon pump seals.  The seals in the overhaul kit would not size down correctly even after setting the old coast clutch cylinder on them all weekend.  Had a spare set, put them on and the pump dropped right down in. 

The 98 7.3L van is good too.  The tank sending unit socks were clogged and the black foot broken off.  The tank is starting to delaminate but it'll be okay for a while, I sucked out all the loose stuff.  A new steel midship tank is $1243 wholesale price.  Customer passed on it for now.

I also did a left manifold in a 5.4 F-150 today. 

Got a 6.7L out of a 2011 F350 on the stand. #6 dead on power balance, #2 and 4 low on relative compression. Multiple contribution codes. Removed the oil filter and it was empty  :ohnoes: . Was a little tough turning over by hand. Most of the lifters are collapsed. When I drove it in, it was banging and squawking like crazy. Surprised it actually ran long enough to get in the shop.  :partay:

Got a 16 F-150 2.7L ecoboost here with oil consumption issues. I see this concern popping up on the fmc boards. Waiting to see what hotline says but I think I'm going to have a look at the plugs in the meantime.

#4 and #6 plugs soaked in oil. Compression and leak down are okay.

Update - it's getting a left head. Would anyone consider a cab off for this job?

The leak is the rear plug on the left fuel rail. I was worried I wouldn't be able to find it because the oil still has dye in it too. That wasnt the case once I got the left valvecover off and found the puddle of dye in the back of the head.

Here's a better pic of the dye dripping off the rail. I took an old rail apart and it's basically just a plug and a ball that seal the ends.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

2005 F550 welding rig, waiting on approval for a drop in engine. 

Waiting on parts for a DEF in fuel, and ran till it ran rough, issue. Not sure why, but the fuel system kits can only be ordered emergency out of US warehouses, we don't stock them here.

2004 F550 picker truck from an auction, needing a complete mechanical and engine evaluation. To kick it all off the starter cuts out before the engine starts. 

I put a blower motor and pollen filter in a 16 escape today. It was here last week and our asset kid fished a dead mouse out of the recirc door. That didn't quite fix it.

There is nothing keeping critters from getting under the cowl on either side. This is going to be an issue for sure

Still pissing around with the 2015 F450 Ambulance. Trying to find some cause for the returning P132B. Has new turbo, no leaks, MAP, BARO & EBP no BIAS. Passes KA every time. MAP changes 7 PSI, above the 6.96 PSI spec. Got the OCR issue figured out(See post in 6.7L section). Got to put on an emergency shutdown valve on it as well. 

Couldn't get the auction unit to crank over, starter won't engage. 

So my E-450 bus with the torqshift overhaul 2 weeks ago came in today for a 15E05.  Wouldn't idle worth a damn when the reprogram was done, cleaned the throttle body and all is well. 

Had our advisor/WA contact special services for additional time.  Requested .9 got approved for .5! The damn TB pays .7 to R&I per SLTS.  What a bunch of crap. 

I got to drive it about 15 miles when I was done to make sure the tranny is okay.  It seems fine, I am always skeptical of my tranny building. 

2009 6.4 from local coop that just put in high pressure pump and injectors. I guess they had metal in their own fuel tank. Any way now its has a long crank / no start hot only. Oh and just diagnosis only.

2012 edge 3.5 long crank hot only.

Funny both hot only concerns.. 

2001 F450 7.3L, needs clips for the under valve cover harnesses.

I have never used the clips, why not just put a harness on? I bet the terminals are spread on the old one. I just did a 01 today :)

Pulling a dash out of a 14 f450 ambulance. Screw sitting in top tray fell down the defrost binding up the mode door intermittently.

13 F450 6.8 gas, failed cam followers, wiped the cam and broken valve tip and yes its the right cylinder head.

13 f250 10.5 axle complete rebuild, water in the housing.

03 7.3 fuel lift pump

2 more 6.0 ambulance sitting outside for diag.

2001 F450 7.3L, needs clips for the under valve cover harnesses.

I have never used the clips, why not just put a harness on? I bet the terminals are spread on the old one. I just did a 01 today :)

Pin fit was ok and the harnesses were a couple of days away.

Just finishing a fuel tank full of DEF repair. Waiting on parts for one that drove for 30 km's with gas in the tank. Have 2 6.7L's  in line for oil leaks.

Working on that 16 F-150 that's getting a left head. It's no lie that they've really overcomplicated vehicles. This 2.7 makes a 6.7 seem not that involved. SLTS is around 17 hours if that gives you any indication.

Working on that 16 F-150 that's getting a left head. It's no lie that they've really overcomplicated vehicles. This 2.7 makes a 6.7 seem not that involved. SLTS is around 17 hours if that gives you any indication.

Be very careful timing that bugger. Read the manual very carefully. Be very careful putting the front cover back on too. The black rubber seal for the oil pump should be put in the block, not on the cover, chamfer facing out. If you don't, the seal will tear and you will have no oil pressure. Tech next to me didn't quite follow the WSM doing a right head gasket replacement and ended up tearing it apart 3 times. 

2016 F450 pick-up, Cranks/ no start: 1490 PSI ICP. Customer had WIF message, drained separator, took him 20 minutes to get it running, now it's here. He also stated he wants the truck back tomorrow to go camping with it, regardless of weather it's fixed or not. Not sure how he's going to pull a trailer with it. 

2015 F350 diesel full of gasoline. Did you know the 9b246 kit is over $3000 cheaper than individually priced parts.

Yeah I understand the timing instructions but I had to read them 3-4 times before I really got it. Thanks for the tip on the oil seal.

Edit - now that I look at the oil galley seal the old one is ripped and I ordered the wrong one from the parts picture of the front cover. The galley seal is not in the front cover picture. Guess what's on backorder

Not a lot of fun diesel failures in our place lately. Pretty usual/normal stuff. The fun ones are light duty.

GT-350s - 1 Engine, 1 Head, 1 Warped lower oil pan.

2 2016 Edges - RH drive, diesel - sports (yes you are reading this correctly). Pinched 12A581 dash harnesses crashing HSCAN.

1 2016 Edge with the main engine harness not shielded correctly causing erratic/no spark and crank/no-start.

Police Explorer and Taurus leaking water pumps and front covers left, right, and centre.

Not a lot of fun diesel failures in our place lately. Pretty usual/normal stuff. The fun ones are light duty.

GT-350s - 1 Engine, 1 Head, 1 Warped lower oil pan.

2 2016 Edges - RH drive, diesel - sports (yes you are reading this correctly). Pinched 12A581 dash harnesses crashing HSCAN.

1 2016 Edge with the main engine harness not shielded correctly causing erratic/no spark and crank/no-start.

Police Explorer and Taurus leaking water pumps and front covers left, right, and centre.

How do you end up with edge rh drive diesels?