What's In Your Bay - Part VI

Rate this topic

Keith Browning

Got a 6.0 f-series here with oil in the coolant. Customer scheduled the appointment a week out and I have a feeling he drove it the whole week before he brought it in. It's the worst I've ever seen.

Also got a nearly new 16 F-450 tow truck here. It has a rear speed sensor code and a horrible driveline vibration on accel. Very noticeable coast howl too. With the speed sensor out I can pry the whole carrier side to side about 1/8".

Customer wanted cam and crank sensors replaced for a self diagnosed check engine light on a 2011 F550 6.7L. Off warranty. Also wanted an oil leak checked. Replaced the vacuum pump gasket for the oil leak and the cam sensor while I was there. Currently taking out the starter because I dropped the crank sensor in the bell housing..... :banghead:

Have a 2008 F350 that I just did turbo up-pipes and replaced the degas bottle hose oring that was leaking(which the customer ended up replacing the rad and all rad hoses before bringing it here, because he couldn't find it). It's now purging out the rad cap... :(

Removed EGR coolers on an already chipped w/ DPF delete 6.4L...turns out the tuner won't recognize the EGR delete and sets P0401.. :shrug:

They say trouble comes in three's. Lets hope that's true or I am going to go gray over the next few days.

Managed to fish the sensor out through the starter opening. :partay:  :whew:  Any tips on putting this back in without dropping it again? I can only get the truck high enough to sit under it, room is at a premium. Was thinking of grabbing the camera scope off the tech next to me in the morning.

Using the camera was useless, got in the way of the sensor going in. Managed to get the sensor in this time. Went in with IDS to reset the crankshaft sensor and guess what codes I pulled? I will start off by saying they had nothing to do with the CMP or CKP. P132B, P2073, and P20BA.  Got the go ahead to diagnose the codes.

The 2008 had a small nick on the degas bottle cap sealing surface, cleaned it up, new cap, holding at 15 PSI. Purges on road test and loses heat, and the crankcase pressure is on the high side. 

Edited by lmorris

A lot of crazy stuff. Most notable is F750 tree truck with boom had it's cooling stack packed with small wood chips and sawdust. I swept up about a cubic foot of powdered wood from my shop floor when it was all over. It has been really slow here in the North East  - all the other dealers have slowed down to varying degrees but it's bad right now. I have been staying busy taking on a few Dodge Rams and ironically I see the same shit going wrong with those as I do with the Fords... even trucks being misdiagnosed and incorrectly repaired.

I have been staying busy taking on a few Dodge Rams and ironically I see the same shit going wrong with those as I do with the Fords... even trucks being misdiagnosed and incorrectly repaired.

My new service manager worked at a dodge store for a while. He claims that Dodge doesn't pay diagnostics and that causes lots of parts throwing.

I went in today so I could play with that S-110 uninterrupted. The book isn't clear on how much side bearing preload so I just winged it. Set my backlash to .012" and ran a pattern. I think it came out okay.  I did put new side bearings in it. 

The cotter pins I was missing are on backorder and only a few dealers in the country had them.  We actually had to drive over 50 miles one way to pick a pack up.  Once they got back and I saw them I realized they're absolutely nothing special.  They measured the same as some bulk ones we had.  Oh well, live and learn!

image.jpg

The last S-110 I overhauled had zero preload on the side bearings. That was back in 2000, so it may have changed. I was a little shocked, but it had no issues when it was back in the truck. Just went through the WSM, zero end play, once you get the lock ring lined up for final torque you end up with very little preload. Had a chance to check on a new unit and verified almost no preload. 

Yeah all I did was run the ring in until it contacted the pinion. Ran the other adjuster in until it took all the side to side movement away. Then backed off the first one while tightening the second until my backlash came into spec. I turned each adjuster in a little more until the cotter pin would fit and left it at that. It may have been a hair tight but with new bearings I suspect it'll be okay.

All noise is gone too

The last S-110 I overhauled had zero preload on the side bearings. That was back in 2000, so it may have changed. I was a little shocked, but it had no issues when it was back in the truck. Just went through the WSM, zero end play, once you get the lock ring lined up for final torque you end up with very little preload. Had a chance to check on a new unit and verified almost no preload. 

That's good to know. I've never had the pleasure of going into one of those monsters. And I hope I don't anytime soon either. They seem pretty bulletproof from what I've seen.

I am overhauling a 455 in a 1970 buick gsx. It belongs to our sales dept (they buy and sell classic cars) It is a fairly fresh 700 hp build, G-M has been driving it around all summer, lost compression in #2 cylinder and had wicked blow by. Tore it appart today, has 7 broken valve springs, blown head gasket ( into crankcase) , scored cylinder walls, and wiped main bearings. Ye haw. And he sold the car today, so time is of the essence.

2008 F350 surges, P2289: FRP high KOEO. 

gallery_904_21_161133.jpg

2008 F350(different truck) bent #1 intake pushrod, Damaged and dislodged  #1 exhaust rocker arm, worn #1 exhaust cam lobe. Waiting on repair/replace/ tow out decision. 

I got a 16 F350 chassis cab with a trans leak out of the bell housing. Stood the whole crap up transfer case and all to pull the pump out.

attachicon.gifIMG_1647.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_1649.JPG

By the looks of that bellhousing bolt pattern it appears this truck is equipped with the gasser 6.2L, not that it should matter. I'm pretty sure the 6R140 by itself is already heavy enough regardless if it's bolted up to a gasser or oil burner. What kind of tranny jack was used to support to weight of that tranny and transfer case as one?

I got a 16 F350 chassis cab with a trans leak out of the bell housing. Stood the whole crap up transfer case and all to pull the pump out.

attachicon.gifIMG_1647.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_1649.JPG

By the looks of that bellhousing bolt pattern it appears this truck is equipped with the gasser 6.2L, not that it should matter. I'm pretty sure the 6R140 by itself is already heavy enough regardless if it's bolted up to a gasser or oil burner. What kind of tranny jack was used to support to weight of that tranny and transfer case as one?

We use a Grey HTJ 1000. 1000 pound capacity. We also got the extra high table fingers just for these transmissions.

We got some old pneumatic jack. It's a big cabinet thing. It's still a really nice jack. And it's got an engine stand built into one end of it that's heavy enough I can hang a 7.3 off of it.

You can just see both ends of it behind the hoist.

IMG_1648.JPG

We use the Norco 1/2 ton fastjack and the Norco adapters for the 4R100/5R110 and the 6R140. I pull them with transfer cases all the time and don't have any issues. The few times I've had to go into a 6R140 I mount on the engine stand as Ford recommends and use the engine hoist for the convertor, pump, and input shaft. Makes it a lot easier.

Found metal in the high pressure system on one of my 2008 6.4L's, got the go ahead to flush and replace everything. The other 2008 6.4L with the damaged valve train is being treated to a long block. Both have almost 300,000 KMS on them.

Got a cab and chassis 6.7 with an overboost code, another bus with a coast clutch drum and a 2 valve v10 with some rotted exhaust manifolds.

Edit - the turbo vanes are froze solid on this 6.7 turbo.  I put a turbo in it today and all is well.  You can't magnet test the VGT piston in the vehicle like a 6.0 but once the turbo was out on the bench I was unable to move the piston at all with my 4lb magnet. The vanes were frozen closed. 

Commanding VGT while idling showed no change in MAP or EBP.  When I pulled it around the building VGT duty cycle % would drop into the teens almost instantly which shows current vane position wasn't producing desired EBP.  Freeze frame showed boost at 41 PSI when the P0234 set.  I believe EBP was in the 70 psi range (not absolute).  This was the first 6.7 turbo I've seen with the vanes stuck.  The truck is a 14 with 45k miles on it.