What's In Your Bay - Part VI

Rate this topic

Keith Browning

We are in Oakville.

They build Edge/Flex/ MKX/MKT here for the whole world.

That's how you end up fixing RHD "transit" damage.

When they went to load it on the carrier, the body flexed just enough that it grounded out the harness pinched between the IP carrier and the firewall, took down the HS-CAN network.. Since it happened "in transit"....they send it to us as transit damage, just like if someone smacked it up.

Kind of cool that the Edge Sport is a diesel for the UK.

I've got some really butchered up heads on this 2 valve v-10 getting a redo on a previous exhaust manifold job.  Numerous helicoils that aren't holding anymore and one hole on the right side that is about 1/2" in diameter and equally as deep.  Someone really fucked this thing up.

The best part of it? Most of the helicoiled holes are shallow drilled and still contain some of the original fastener. 

Not sure what's going on but I am swamped with work. Rads and oil pan on a 6.7L. Front and rear covers and the HPFP recall on a Transit(dropping the engine on that one, pics will be taken and posted). A couple of poorly running 6L. And a 6.4 that keeps coming back with a new coolant leak each time, getting a water pump which should be the last thing possible to leak coolant. Just finishing a 6.4L metal  in fuel system repair. My long block 6.4L is happily on it's way back to B.C. The 6.7L tuned PCM replacement turned out okay.

What I thought was a water pump on the 6.4L turned out to be head gaskets, the guy hooked up to his trailer, hit the highway and blew a bunch of coolant out the degas bottle. We are going to give him a deal on it seeing as he just spent $4000 on exhaust manifolds and some other stuff.

Got a 6.4 locked up. I replaced with a complete 13k ago. Junk remans. It is about 2 inches over full on oil short stick. Wonder why the programing didn't shut it down when it was that overfull? I have had plenty come in limp mode when over full.

Also have a 6.4 wrecker that is a rebuilt unit from a so called diesel performance shop. The vin says the truck is a manual but its an automatic. They brought it in couple weeks ago to be programed to stock. I had a heck of a time getting it done. Ended up pulling pcm using another ids and tear tag. They deleted dpf and egr put programmer in it customer took it. Now its a no start theft lite flashing

2016 F250 6.7L, 114 KM's. Customer just picked it up last night and didn't even make it home. Relative compression #3 27%, with some funky scraping noise coming from the valley area.

I got an 11 explorer that has a shudder/vibration on accel at 12 to 22 mph. Goes away if you let off the throttle and doesn't matter what gear it's in. Hotline tells me it's probably the power transfer gear that is in between the differential and the output gear on the trans.

upcoming, a joy of a rotten truck. '03 F350 multi colored (2014 bed) plow/salt truck.  180k+

Oil pan is rotten and leaking.

Customer is seriously considering fqr reman 7.3, reman trans, along with that, all p/s lines, atf cooler lines, rad, all hoses, downpipe and complete exhaust. 

He also needs and wants to do, 4 ball joints, 1 hub bearing, 2 axle u joints and all the seals in the general area. 

I think there's more, but it escapes me.. 

2009 F350 6.4L no start, p0087, p2291. ICP at 570 PSI cranking and is trying to fire one cylinder. My thought is stuck open or damaged injector. Preliminary inspection has water in the fuel system, upper fuel bowl is full of crap. Kicker is this is a drop in engine still under warranty. I told the customer that Ford will not pay for water damaged fuel components. He proceeded to rant on how Ford is crap, then tells me he has put 4 engines in the truck so far....AND that water in diesel is NORMAL....WTF??? He wants the failed injector replaced and no other repairs to the fuel system...

Last time I had one that failed the glow plug mist test the fuel system was full of metal. I replaced one injector before I realized what was going on and the system would still not build pressure

I was thinking of pulling a sample once I get into the valve covers. I have told the advisors we really shouldn't get into this thing unless he is willing to do everything needed to fix it right. This is one that I hope gets towed out or I fear I shall be married to it for life.

So I've had a horribly rusted V10 (2v) dump truck in my one bay now for weeks the other guy here started on but couldn't finish. It's typical that I would have to extract any broken studs so we could move on reasonably quickly. I don't mind either as long as it gets done right.

What we found on the left head was unbelievable. About 8 out of 10 holes were drilled and helicoiled. NONE of them were straight. #9 top hole was about 1/2" in diameter and way off center. #8 top hole was drilled all the way into the exhaust port. You could actually see where it was leaking out of the stud hole. Putting a head on this thing would be a major chore, I couldn't imagine what kind of headaches we'd encounter, for now I was told to make my best effort at fixing (band aiding) the head.

For this job I picked up a m8x1.25 big-sert kit and ten 16.7mm inserts. I was able to get an insert and a bunch of JB weld in the #8 hole. For the #9 hole I ran a 1/2" bolt with epoxy on it, let it cure, cut it off flush with the head, and redrilled/tapped for the M8 stud. The rest I was able to get new threads tapped for the big-serts. They're all relatively straight and centered thanks to the beydler drill guide. I can only hope this outlasts the truck. The M8x1.25 big sert uses a M10x1.5 STI tap and the same 13/32 drill, I found that convenient. I did have to cut and regrind a 13/32 bit to fit in there however. The stubby bit included in the kit was still too long.

And yes that is red threadlock, no more redo's on exhaust manifolds with this thing. I hope that if there is a next time, that guy is just as surprised as I was.

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 1

Last time I had one that failed the glow plug mist test the fuel system was full of metal. I replaced one injector before I realized what was going on and the system would still not build pressure

I was thinking of pulling a sample once I get into the valve covers. I have told the advisors we really shouldn't get into this thing unless he is willing to do everything needed to fix it right. This is one that I hope gets towed out or I fear I shall be married to it for life.

Found my leaking injector, #3. Performed a compression test #1 200 PSI, rest are 300. There is metal in the fuel. Tip is not cracked. 

I have rear pads and rotors to do on the phone companies 03 International 4200.  The ABS tone rings are all rusted up causing false activation issues and an ABS light.  I think this is common on the rears.  The front tone rings look nearly new. 

They also complained that it stalled out once and set an electrical system light.  I pulled several codes for ECU power supply.  I looked over all the powers and grounds and they appear okay . They did already jumper the one melted connector in the battery box. 

I get to get my hands dirty on a 2016 F-150 2.7L for the first time. Our tune-down department diag'd a cylinder #6 misfire, and found it consuming oil in that cylinder. It has been passed onto me, to replace the driver side cylinder head per our SM's instruction. Yeah me.

Leon passed a few good tips to me for the 2.7L. Pay close attention to the way the chains are removed and installed. Do the 360 rotation just like the book says and it will work just fine. Also pay attention to the front cover oil gallery seal, mine was torn from the factory and needed replaced. It was tough to find in the parts catalog. You definitely don't want to tear this on the install

I had trouble resizing the injector Teflon seals for some reason. installing the tool backwards on the injector first and sizing the seals from the inside worked fine. The seals are a 4 pack but you only need three.

Mike, we had a 2.7 doing that recently and we ran cost cap for 1 head and it came back replace engine. Hotline also wanted it replaced. It was a 16 edge sport with 3500kms.

I have a long crank on a 2007 f-350 which is under warranty, some how this truck has esp warranty till 2019 and 191 000 kms   :scratch: . Its only got 130 000 kms right now, I can only imagine what that esp cost.

6.4 Ambulance with leaking exhaust manifold and broken bolts on driver side.

6.7 F550 caught on fire by secondary fuel filter

2017 Super Duty 6.2 radiator leaking on driver side up top - 852 miles

08 F350 cab and chassis - waiting on a dana 80 housing destroyed from carrier bearing failure

I've been doing all the F-150 master cylinder recalls.  Yesterday I did a fuel pump in a 4.8 Savana.  Oh and today I did put a new wastegate solenoid in a 1.6L escape and programmed some keys in a 2000 ranger.  AND a bunch of other crap I can't remember. While 5 trucks wait to be worked on like they're not so important. 

I am going to explode soon and I'm not sure who is going to lose their job over it.  My manager isn't doing much managing and I can't figure out if anyone notices. 

My 6.4L no start is back outside, customer still can't understand why water in fuel is a problem and why Ford won't warranty the repairs . Last I heard he is taking to a local Diesel shop and is calling his lawyer.