What's In Your Bay - Part VI

Rate this topic

Keith Browning

I'm not sure yet.  The history of this truck is questionable, the headgaskets/egr cooler were said to be done about 2-3 years ago.  The standpipes have a early 2013 date stamped on them so I can buy this.  When I first saw this truck a few months ago it had a badly ruptured oil cooler.  When I got in there I found a dorman EGR cooler and a factory original oil cooler.  Whoever did the gaskets/EGR cooler did not know enough to change the oil cooler.  At this time I fixed a ripped cac boot and a biased EBP sensor that most definitely had the truck severely under powered.  That is when the truck started purging from the degas bottle while towing

Yesterday I removed the heads.  The bolts were either severely stretched or not torqued correctly to begin with.  They all seemed equally as loose.  Much to my surprise the gaskets looked fine on the head side.  I'm going to check valve recession on Monday because I believe these heads were machined.   I can see grinding disc marks on the block but not on the heads and they are 18mm which means they haven't been replaced in the last 4-5 years. 

I can't figure out what's the deal with these heads. All the valves are recessed about .020" which is right where the factory sets them. If these heads were machined it wasn't some quickie job.

The block has some pretty bad gouge marks from a roloc disc but it's otherwise flat. I hate those damn discs. You go through all that trouble to make sure the heads are flat then you grind on the deck like its got the tolerances of an exhaust manifold.

Here's 2 pictures of what I'm dealing with. The first is a good example of what not to do to a block. The second is a excellent example of how not to fix a leaking oil pan. It's hard to see but that is mig wire poking through on the inside of the pan. Yes I did find one piece stuck in the pickup tube.

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 1

DEF Quality codes on a Cummins.  Another plugged injector.  At least the diffuser pipe and SCR are not plugged with the stuff.

IMG_20170209_122300163_zpsishruaz2.jpg

Close up of tip:

tip_zps03p3vahw.jpg

Diffuser pipe.  A little drool in there, but not bad.

IMG_20170209_122943595_zpstso4jhmn.jpg

Crust at the entrance.

IMG_20170209_122323129_zpssuofdtnx.jpg

Any comments on the reddish color?  Is this rust intrusion from somewhere or contamination?  I can't think of anything that's steel in this system.......

:grin:

DEF Quality codes on a Cummins.  Another plugged injector.  At least the diffuser pipe and SCR are not plugged with the stuff.

IMG_20170209_122300163_zpsishruaz2.jpg

Close up of tip:

Diffuser pipe.  A little drool in there, but not bad.

Crust at the entrance.

The block has some pretty bad gouge marks from a roloc disc but it's otherwise flat. I hate those damn discs. You go through all that trouble to make sure the heads are flat then you grind on the deck like its got the tolerances of an exhaust manifold.

Not to sound dumb... but what do you use?

Scotch brite and a straight razor blade. I jam rags on top of the lifters and vacuum/blow out the coolant passages when I'm done to minimize the dust. I have used discs on other stuff, but I can't do it on head gasket surfaces. Yes it takes longer but I've done every one that way.  Since I've never had any problems I can't seem to switch to faster methods.   

I did my first set of headgaskets without any instruction other than the WSM and at that point I'd never even seen someone work on a 6.0. I didn't realize that no one was still doing it that way until years later.

2015 F-350- Getting front brakes and primary radiator, OFL, Fuel Filters. All retail.                                                                                                           

2011 F-250- Getting thermostats and replacing the turbo base gasket for an oil leak.

2012 F350- Has a broken LR axle shaft on a Dana 80. Concern was wouldn't pull in 2wd. They drove it in on the front axle. Gave the customer 2 options, install a new axle shaft, flush tubes and housing, and refill. Then if road test found any noise they can either continue to driver it or replace all the bearings. Waiting on approval.

2014 E350 bus- Came on with CEL on. Wrong gas cap installed causing a gross leak. Correct cap fixed that, now waiting on approval to do front and rear brakes.

2014 E250- 4R75 Trans- appears planetary came apart, this thing has a crap ton of metal in the pan, burnt fluid, and slipping. Its out of warranty so it got quoted a reman. Also quoted a set of convertors for the P0430 set in the PCM. Waiting on approval.  

15 F550 concrete dump truck 6R140 trans. pump seal. The concrete dust does not come off and entire trans. is covered in this shit.

12 F250 with a P20EE getting a dpf/scr assembly

97 F250 7.3 no start/long crank low fuel pressure

06 Sprinter died while going down the road

I start with a brass scraper and brake cleaner, then the scotch brite pad, then finish off what's left with a straight razor blade. 

I start with a brass scraper and brake cleaner, then the scotch brite pad, then finish off what's left with a straight razor blade. 

roloc discs work great if your smart about them. I used them for every headgasket job I had and never had a repeat issue. I know it was frowned upon but again use your head when using them all will be good

The 3m scotch brite disc come in different textures.Keep in mind that the fine texture or any is not recommended by the OE's. I would be cautious about a used one that may have contamination from another job. What ever was used on the picture that Matt posted looks terrible...like a grinder :)

• Like 1

I also have these https://store.snapon.com/Window-Scrapers-8-Plastic-Blade-Windshield-Scraper-Blue-Point--P636291.aspx

https://store.snapon.com/Scrapers-Multipurpose-Scraper-Blue-Point--P641054.aspx

On most of the late model stuff I just very carefully use the razor blade style. The blue point & super scraper I have used more in the past for felt type gaskets.

RTV.jpg

I have found that diesel fuel works great for making short work of RTV.

+1 on the super scraper. I have one and like the results it gives on manifolds, heads,water pumps etc without the worry of gouging the surface.

Various EGT sensors, finished up 3 DEF tank heaters, 09 F550 bed plate reseal. 2015 that shut down during regen, P060A PCM processor fault and all 8 injectors high to low side short.

08 F550 ambulance, leaking bed plate, cyl. 1 compression 375 psi, all others 400 plus and p2291

97 F250 leaking oil pan

05 F350 1 fuel injector and cracked charge air cooler

Monday I have to start on a repeat upper oil pan reseal on an F-550 I did last year. I really hate that damn procedure. I think I might do the timing cover too this time

Also got a set of tranny cooler lines on a 17

I just finished an oil leak that looked like it was just the oil pan. I took the timing cover off and found the gasket was flat and leaking right at the lower part of the block. That lower coolant jacket must have some hot coolant coming out of it because that gaskets was baked hard. Front timing cover on a 6.7 is not one of my favourite jobs, the front crank seal remover does not work. Has that tool worked for anyone else?

I'll be able to tell you later this week. I've got that 15 F-550 that I resealed about a year ago in here now. This time it's getting a front cover reseal too. The RF t-joint is really leaking.

I am really getting sick of Fords shit, I knew without a doubt this upper pan wasnt going to seal in the chassis.