What's In Your Bay - Part VI

Rate this topic

Keith Browning

Looked at an interesting one yesterday.  16 F-350 6.7 with 30k miles.  Wrench light on stuck in 5th gear.  DTCs P0885 and P2669 on demand.  Pinpoint test F1 showed good voltage to pin 1 and 2 but F2 showed high resistance in pin 1 circuit between the trans and TCM.  It would not illuminate a bulb either.  Digging around a little showed a corroded wire under the shield for the TCM connector. 

The 6.7 front crank seal remover did not work for me either.

You know I found something interesting at the left lower timing cover gasket. The gasket looks chewed up for a lack of better terms like the material is not suitable for its purpose.

The other thing I found was dried RTV towards the lower T joint but the WSM says nothing about putting any there

image.jpg

image.jpg

2015 Transit 3.2L in for an RCM replacement, along with a follow up to a complaint of a very intermittent engine stalling during coast to a stop which I was unable to duplicate during two prior visits.

IMG_20170227_164129.jpg

image-20170302_172550.jpg

image-20170302_172609.jpg

IMG_20170227_164043.jpg

Okay I believe this pan reseal will go better than the last one. I got the front cover lined up properly, the bottom is flush with the block. I triple checked it with the straight edge.

2 things I did different this time. I removed the battery cable studs from the pan before install. Getting them back in with the pan in place was tricky but it's possible. Also I did a dry run putting the pan in place with no RTV. This let me check the depth and position of my alignment studs. I know one thing if you try and rush through this procedure it will fight you.

Finally have the main 14401 harness gutted out of the 2015 Transit. Man oh man what a monumental pain in the ass that was!!! This job has really put my pushpin removal skill to the test. Now to put the new harness in....

IMG_20170304_130225.jpg

Finally have the main 14401 harness gutted out of the 2015 Transit. Man oh man what a monumental pain in the ass that was!!! This job has really put my pushpin removal skill to the test. Now to put the new harness in....

Harness was that messed up? I must of looked at the pics wrong cause it looked to me like corrosion by the trailer control module and a couple melted wires.

A little late but here is the collapsed wix secondary filter I found in a 6.7 a few months ago. On the right is an OEM ford filter

You mean a 6.4L right?

Harness was that messed up? I must of looked at the pics wrong cause it looked to me like corrosion by the trailer control module and a couple melted wires.

It was not only melted there. It was "green deathed" through multiple areas under the driver's seat, not to mention one ground circuit in particular was melted completely down to the metal strands through the entire harness all the way up the area under the dash.

It was not only melted there. It was "green deathed" through multiple areas under the driver's seat, not to mention one ground circuit in particular was melted completely down to the metal strands through the entire harness all the way up the area under the dash.

psh. it's just a ground - doesn't need insulation anyway ; )

that harness swap doesn't look enjoyable - right up there with the main harness i did in the the Edge aquarium edition circa 2016.

A little late but here is the collapsed wix secondary filter I found in a 6.7 a few months ago. On the right is an OEM ford filter

You mean a 6.4L right?

Those are 6.7 secondary filters cut open to expose the element

• 2 weeks later...

What the hell is that used for?

Airport tow vehicle. Not sure exactly what it tows though. Small aircraft, fueling equipment, baggage carts.

Look what stopped in today for a visit. This is pretty rare in this area, only the second one I've ever seen.

It was the first truck I've ever driven with air brakes too. No park on the selector lever which I though was neat

image.jpg

Look what stopped in today for a visit. This is pretty rare in this area, only the second one I've ever seen.

It was the first truck I've ever driven with air brakes too. No park on the selector lever which I though was neat

My last service manager thought something was wrong with a truck he moved into the shop for a tech. It didn't dawn on me, until I was asked to move it out for the tech that it was equipped with air brakes. As far as not having a PARK position for the transmission? That's old news. No medium or heavy duty truck equipped with an automatic transmission has ever had a PARK position that I'm aware of. The likely reason for this, is so that drivers are forced to always use the parking brake.

I'm not sure there is a good place to put a 65000 pound capacity parking pawl and drum in an Allison. Then there would be the OMG linkage capable of pulling the pawl out of drum teeth when it is parked and loaded in a hilly situation.

I'm not sure there is a good place to put a 65000 pound capacity parking pawl and drum in an Allison. Then there would be the OMG linkage capable of pulling the pawl out of drum teeth when it is parked and loaded in a hilly situation.

My point exactly.

I have a 2.7 here another dealer put heads on under 1500 miles ago. It's out of time oil all over pulled valve covers and front cover found the outer crank gear loose on Frank. Pulled off and a gear has obviously spun on it before contacted hotline found out other dealer had fucked up timing and were told to replace engine. Obviously they didn't. Fse calls this morning said fix it properly and run through as warranty they will take care of charging them back. He also told me he had been involved with it when it was there. Found the oil leak to be from a cracked valve cover. Has many broken connectors. Some of the poorest workmanship I have ever seen. Truck has 6200 miles on it. I feel bad for customer been in shop more days then he has had.

KIMG0752.jpg

Shitty deal for sure. Only thing in my bay is fmpp oil changes and f-150 door latch rain hat tsb's. Now that parts are finally landing we are burning through our backlog. They actually aren't that bad to do, and pay decent.