What's In Your Bay - Part VI

Rate this topic

Keith Browning

Hey Tony that is really good info.  :cheers-jeers:  It would be cool if you could post some pictures in the gas engine forum. Showing the cab off procedure would be great.  Then we could use it for reference in the future.

I had a 97 7.3 no start to diag today. I've never had any driveabilty on one this old. It would only build 140psi ICP while cranking. Base was good and the reservoir full. Much to my surprise the high pressure oil lines weren't quick connect like the newer ones. We had 2 block off tools but none to accept an ICP sensor.

I found a 1/2" fine thread nut and welded it to a spare fitting. Still 140 PSI with both sides blocked off. Quoted an IPR to start and the guy towed it out of here

image.jpg

Also that one and only 6.0 excursion I did head gaskets/coolers on came back. The engine valley soaked in oil. From the looks of things I thought I left the oil cooler loose. Pull it all apart and everything was torqued perfect. Get the cooler out on the bench and I saw it. A flaw in the cover gasket I didn't see the first time. This should be fun to get SPW'd

image.jpg

Also that one and only 6.0 excursion I did head gaskets/coolers on came back. The engine valley soaked in oil. From the looks of things I thought I left the oil cooler loose. Pull it all apart and everything was torqued perfect. Get the cooler out on the bench and I saw it. A flaw in the cover gasket I didn't see the first time. This should be fun to get SPW'd

I have had oil cooler gaskets like that a couple times. First one was back before it was a cooler kit. I pulled new oil cooler out of box bolted down came back leaking. Since then I have inspected when putting new gasket in and caught before installing.

2015 F150 front diff overhaul. Had gear set and bearings 3 weeks ago. Now I have it and there is some funky wear on the side bearings and the side gears and spiders bind and clunk when rotated.

2013 F450 6.7, rear brakes ground to dust, front brakes severely overheated.  Service and filters. 

Truck came with it's trailer that pulls a 16,000 lb piece of equipment.  Trailer had only 1 functional brake out of 4.  Only 1 functional front marker light on trailer. 

Same company limped in a '08 450 w/ a 6.4.  Stick a fork in it, one cylinder zero compression via ear relative compression and one of the worst squeaking rod knocks I've ever heard.  Only 101k on it. 

I suppose so.   6 hours later, after pulling all drums, adjusting, rewiring all the brakes and the whole trailer, it's got all lights and brakes.  Now they'll lock all 4 wheels and wreck it...

These guys are so good that they have let their IR compressors flip over and drag while behind the trucks at 80 mph.  They neglect to pump some grease into the bearing buddies and the bearings explode, wheels come off and over they go.

Got an 07 mkz here the other guy put in a moonroof track before he left. Now it's back leaking like crazy and it's blowing the fuse.

Found the drivers side vanity mirror wiring shorted out but I have no idea what to do about the leak. I'm not sure if the front drains are restricted or if too much water is getting past the glass. The glass does loom like it needs adjusted but it could be the seal is too hard. No idea

2012 GMC 3500 CVIP-Rear axle seals, E-brake shoes and pads. 4 tires.

My 2015 F150 front diff overhaul went very well.

Boss wants us to pound out a bunch of used car inspections along with some Certified Pre-owned units.

2003 F150, 360 000 km, 5 speed 4x4 with a 4.2, XL reg cab

- rear prop shaft u-joint and double cardan joints

- rear ring and pinion

- 2 front tires

- fan clutch (snapped in half), an idler and a belt

- new exhaust (old aftermarket one rotted away, welded in a new glasspack to make it high perf)

I'm unsure of what I'm going to do with my newfound Thrush sticker. I can't believe I'm working on this thing at this shop. $$

Long block (6.2L) and complete driveline fluid change on 2017 F350. The truck decided it wanted to go swimming in a ditch.

Got the 6.7 front end trifecta. A vacuum pump leaking oil, water pump leaking coolant and a locked up a/c compressor. I've been working on that here and there for a few days now. Can't stay on one thing, had a guy no call no show so I have to finish all his appointments

Got the 6.7 front end trifecta. A vacuum pump leaking oil, water pump leaking coolant and a locked up a/c compressor. I've been working on that here and there for a few days now. Can't stay on one thing, had a guy no call no show so I have to finish all his appointments

At least compressors are easy.

I got an 08 F550 with metal in the fuel system on a 5000 mile complete assembly reman. Service manager doesn't really wanna warranty it cause it's got off road fuel in it. I didn't find any evidence of water yet. But I don't have the hpfp out yet.

Got a 6.7 with locked up compressor also and a noisy turbo.

F59 chassis fed ex truck no forward or reverse engagement

taking a 7.3 out of an ambulance for a pan and reseal

I got an 08 F550 with metal in the fuel system on a 5000 mile complete assembly reman. Service manager doesn't really wanna warranty it cause it's got off road fuel in it. I didn't find any evidence of water yet. But I don't have the hpfp out yet.

Off road fuel these days is nothing more than regular ULSD with dye in it.  Off road fuel has been ULSD for many years now and has no effect on an on road vehicle.

:grin:

Off road fuel these days is nothing more than regular ULSD with dye in it. Off road fuel has been ULSD for many years now and has no effect on an on road vehicle.

:grin:

I have heard that before. But he's worried that if we send the pump back for warranty they will kick it and charge it back.

2009 F250 5.4L VCT solenoids and right exhaust manifold leaking.

2015 Fiesta left front strut leaking and clutch master leaking.

Still waiting for my intake manifold for the 2017 that went swimming.

Fuel tank on a 2009 Edge.

F59 chassis fed ex truck no forward or reverse engagement

What tranny?  5R110s are breaking coast clutch cylinders and 6R140 are breaking overdrive hubs.  I have a 15 F-550 6R140 sanitation truck here that has no forward or reverse.  You can feel reverse engage but no movement.  It should be coming out next week

Today I screwed around with a 16 police explorer.  They said the radio doesn't shut off when you exit the vehicle.  Found the drivers door ajar switch showing closed all the time.  The circuit from the switch to the BCM was a dead short to ground.  After fucking around checking all the wiring between the door latch and BCM I finally found the harness in the wiring diagram and saw the interceptors run splice to a separate takeout wire for the upfitter.

All the way on the right side of the center console that lone wire was attached to nothing but must have been touching something and grounded out.  It looked like someone wire stripped the end and let it lay.  I put some heat shrink on the end, stuffed it back in there and all is well

'12 F-450 Reductant heater

'03 F-150(Collision) Rear spring front bracket, axle shaft, seals, maybe bearing

7.3 Rear pinion loose, battery light on

'10 GMC Terrain cam codes, 3 qt. low in oil 10 k on the oil(Yeah it's probably going to need timing chains) Oh & the A/C condenser is leaking

'13 Pentastar misfire/engine noise(Probably needs rocker rollers, may also need cams)

'04 Malibu cranks/no start

Fusion lower control arm

Still need to get the '14 F-450 back for the trans leak??

How did Crappie fishing end up @ the bottom of the list :whattodo: