P207F

Rate this topic

Sorry for the late response, DPF pressure must be 0.00 KOEO not to exceed 0.01. Idle pressure under .20, but I look the most at WOT in neutral, under 1.5 is preferred but I see many at 4-5psi where they need several regens to clean up.

Have fun!

Do the pinpoint test that checks EGR cooler flow just for the hell of it

Actually, that's just as fast with IDS:

Pull up MAF and EGR command

Maf usually reads quite close to 30 GPS at idle

Using IDS command EGR wide open

MAF on most will go to about 10 GPS, sometimes as low as 7 and rarely stall. If it only drops to about 15-17GPS it's partially clogged and a P0401 is coming.  

I've probably done this a hundred times now in class.

:grin:

PS It's wild that when the EGR is wide open it's recirculating 2/3 of exhaust and only breathing 1/3 fresh air....

PPS These numbers work on 6.0 and 6.4 as well to determine flow.

• Like 2

Drove it again after the regen. Nox12 was still above the 50ppm that rd24 asked for, but the nox_aftertreatment monitor completed and the code did not come back. I drove it 5 or 6 miles after that and one of our drivers put 20ish on it and no code came back. The customer took it cause they needed it back. So time will tell if it builds soot again.

I believe it was wet from the def it was injecting at that point and not a leaking egr cooler.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I just went a second round with a truck with a P207F but this time the check engine light went off and the DEF message disappeared on it's own. Try and diagnose that one. I ran the gauntlet of tests again only to gome up empty handed. I replaced the DEF injector purely on suspicion. 

I'm working on one came in with same code, did the latest pcm update per tsb 15-0008, and cleared fault. Exhaust message went away on its own but check engine light back on. Code p24c6 particulate matter sensor set. Checked sensor out and found connector to the module backed out, someone broke it when installing a goose neck hitch. Ordered a new sensor, going to replace it under the 15-0083 tsb and hope the P207F doesn't come back. The other 2 I had over the last couple of weeks both got exhaust assemblies and have not been back so fingers crossed.

• 3 weeks later...

I've got two here now with this dreaded code. One that went into idle only mode. The other, about to go into speed limit mode. The one in idle only mode has already had an SCR catalyst replaced awhile back, and has now returned less than a week later. The other cleared by itself about a month ago. Both are 2014 F-250 trucks. Both are out of coverage for the exhaust emissions. What has been the most successful repair for you guys? The pinpoint tests for this code is ridiculous.

What has been the most successful repair for you guys? The pinpoint tests for this code is ridiculous.

The pinpoint tests seem ridiculous because there are several possible causes or systems that cause DEF or SCR efficiency faults. I recently posted about a truck that has suffered from insufficient maintenance causing the crankcase vent to pass excessive oil poisoning the catalysts. Never expected that! I am sure that I am not alone in stating that I have repaired more than one truck by doing several things and have no idea what really did it. Some trucks need multiple component replacement while other others have something easily identified and repaired. Probably the best advise I an offer is to approach each one of these without a pre-conceived notion and follow the diagnostic routine... as annoying or crazy as that sounds. It comes down to either an obvious malfunction OR eliminating possible causes with the latter seeming to be the more common path unfortunately.

The 2 that I have put scr assemblies in both failed nox 12 level monitor test while driving. After I checked and rechecked everything. If the injector is even slightly questionable about leaking I replace it also. I have found if you run the leak test a few times not just once I have found them to weep slightly. The others luckily set a P207F with an additional emissions related code to diag first. In my experience I find it easier to get them out of idle only mode using that procedure than trying to get them out of speed reduced mode. The last one I purposely drove it until it went into idle only - got tired of fucking with trying to get it out of speed reduced mode.

• 4 months later...

Now you have me worried about the 207f I have in my bay now.

The customer has been to three other dealers for an exhaust fluid fault. And Everytime they have cleared the error and/or updated his pcm and sent him on his way. Needless to say the customer is getting really annoyed.

I told the customer I would do my best to fix the problem for him properly.

I pulled a 207f code and looking at no catalyst efficiency, it was only 29%. I performed a dosing measurement and a contamination test. Both passed. Tested for EGR cooler flow, ok. Performed PPT Rd.

Now I'm at the point where I'm supposed to replace the nox sensor and retest then replace the scr.

Truck has 200000km and the customer does not want to experience another break down. So we talked him in to a new scr and a sensor.

Now after reading your combined experiences I am concerned that I am not offering my customer the right repair.

Is this truck driven at slow city speeds?

29% is too low.

Before replacing anything, do a dynamic, driving regeneration. 

Drive again at a steady highway speed until the nox_eval pid shows yes. It indicates the monitor completed.

Check mode 6 data for nox efficiency. See if its better. I find they should be about 80% or better.

I'll try that Monday morning. As a test Saturday I borrowed a nox sensor and module from another truck, cleared the nox data in service functions.

Then I cleared idle only mode perfored scr drive cycle.

I then took it for 2 separate highway drives, about 20-30 minutes each, but each time I came back the mide 6 catalyst efficiency monitor had not updated yet.(showed zero from when I cleared it). Besides warming up the truck and then driving at 89-97km for 30min is there a drive cycle step I'm missing for the nox monitor.

• 7 months later...

Didja know that an air leak after the MAF sensor can cause a P207F and no other codes? Apparently some of those air intake resonators have been broken off and glued back on... with pieces missing causing air leaks. Have fun with that shit! :)

42 minutes ago, Keith Browning said:

Didja know that an air leak after the MAF sensor can cause a P207F and no other codes? Apparently some of those air intake resonators have been broken off and glued back on... with pieces missing causing air leaks. Have fun with that shit! :)

Please DO clarify with pictures.

• 3 years later...
On 2/27/2017 at 4:22 PM, Bruce Amacker said:

Actually, that's just as fast with IDS:

Pull up MAF and EGR command

Maf usually reads quite close to 30 GPS at idle

Using IDS command EGR wide open

MAF on most will go to about 10 GPS, sometimes as low as 7 and rarely stall. If it only drops to about 15-17GPS it's partially clogged and a P0401 is coming.  

I've probably done this a hundred times now in class.

:grin:

PS It's wild that when the EGR is wide open it's recirculating 2/3 of exhaust and only breathing 1/3 fresh air....

PPS These numbers work on 6.0 and 6.4 as well to determine flow.

My maf is 19 g/s at idle and egr open drops to 11.5 g/s could the low number at idle be the result of a restriction or dirty air filter?

On 11/20/2021 at 11:41 AM, Mike B. said:

My maf is 19 g/s at idle and egr open drops to 11.5 g/s could the low number at idle be the result of a restriction or dirty air filter?

Possibly or even a filthy MAF sensor. Yes, flow should go down with the EGR open as Bruce was quoted. I wanted to check a truck in my shop before posting just to see the MAF numbers here but I am slammed with engines and transmissions at the moment.