Internet Speed Test

Rate this topic

I found this free broadband speed test with servers located all over the world. Compare your results with others and easily share them. An interesting thing to notice is the variations in speed from your ISP in relation to time of the day and day of the week. For example, Christmas Eve and Christmas morning my speeds were choked from everyone on the network being on-line, playing games, emailing pictures and who knows what else. Check it out:

Speedtest.net

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rockon.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rockon.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rockon.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rockon.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rockon.gif

Posted Image

I didn't know internet pinged. What the hell is ping on the internet?

How Ping works.

ping is a computer network tool used to test whether a particular host is reachable across an IP network. It works by sending ICMP "echo request" packets to the target host and listening for ICMP "echo response" replies. ping estimates the round-trip time, generally in milliseconds, and records any packet loss, and prints a statistical summary when finished.

The word ping is also frequently used as a verb or noun, where it can refer directly to the round-trip time, the act of running a ping program or measuring the round-trip time. You can think of it as "elecronic sonar."

How to use Ping.

You can use the Ping command to perform several useful Internet network diagnostic tests, such as the following:

• Access. You can use Ping to see if you can reach another computer. If you can't ping a site at all, but you can ping other sites, then it's a pretty good sign that your Internet network is fine and that site is down. On the other hand, if you can't ping any site, then likely your entire network connection is down -- try rebooting.
  • Time & distance. You can use the Ping command to determine how long it takes to bounce a packet off of another site, which tells you its Internet distance in network terms. For example, a web site hosted on your neighbor's computer next door with a different Internet service provider might go through more routers and be farther away in network distance than a site on the other side of the ocean with a direct connection to the Internet backbone. If a site seems slow, you can compare ping distances to other Internet sites to determine whether it is the site, the network, or your system that is slow. You can also compare ping times to get an idea of which sites have the fastest network access and would be most efficient for downloading, chat, and other applications.
  • Domain IP address. You can use the Ping command to probe either a domain name or an IP address. If you ping a domain name, it helpfully displays the corresponding IP address in the response.

You can run the ping command on a Windows computer by opening an MSDOS window and then typing "ping" followed by the domain name or IP address of the computer you wish to ping. You can list the available options for the Windows ping command with "ping -?".

Hmmm, so it doesn't just apply to a bunch of rattling pistons getting ready to melt. Thanks for the good info Keith. Happy new year! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cheers.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/drinkingdude.gif

No, my time is spent with microeconomics and financial accounting this quarter. I don't have a home phone, only cell phones, so it is about the same price for dsl or cable. I do use the internet to take some of my classes however, so a fast reliable connection is very important. Nothing sucks worse than a connection drop in the middle of a final!

Mine looks close to Dwaynes.... Posted Image - and he's a LOT closer to Ca'gry than I am.... I've been with telus since about '92 when I got my first "turtlenet" connection.

Before that, I would occasionally "superkermit" in to various locations with my 9600 baud modem.... The long distance charges were somewhat painful. At that time I lived in Fox Creek, Alberta... To get there, you'd have to go to Anus, Alberta and then go up about halfway /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smirk.gif At that time, I also had a Husky gas station - and THAT, boys and girls... is a whole 'nother story....

What is interesting is that most broadband connections look to be 2000kb/s-5000kb/s download which in all honesty is really decent for most web surfing. If you are into gaming, music and movie downloading then the higher speeds up to 30000kb/s are what you want to seek out. I think my connection rocks for what I need it to do, like downloading the back-up files for my web sites. We are talking almost 7-Gigabytes! which takes up to ten minutes to download. I am fine with that for now.

What most people don't realize is that you are not connected directly to the Internet but rather a network contained and controlled by your ISP. This is how your speeds can change and vary. For instance, Christmas Eve and Day the Internet from my home was painfully slow because every Yahoo and kid was logged on using email, downloading music for their new iPods and playing their friends across town with their new X-Box. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/mad.gif

Many communications companies like Optimum (my isp) and Verizon FIOS charge extra for the higher speeds. For just $10.00 more I can "boost" up to 300000kb/s which in my case would also come with 5 more email addresses, web site hosting and a bunch of other crap.

Even DSL in the hundreds is fine for surfing but is anyone still using dial-up?

• 5 weeks later...
Quote:
What most people don't realize is that you are not connected directly to the Internet but rather a network contained and controlled by your ISP. This is how your speeds can change and vary. For instance, Christmas Eve and Day the Internet from my home was painfully slow because every Yahoo and kid was logged on using email, downloading music for their new iPods and playing their friends across town with their new X-Box.

Something else that comes into play is the load on the server you are connecting to for the test. The first time I did the Speedtest.net I used the server they suggested in Chicago because that was the closest to me. I then connected to a server in Missouri and my speed improved by 2000Kbps. I typically use this site http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest?flash=1 simply because it shows the load on the test servers.

You can actually use ping to test your connection to yahoo for example. You can get a feel for the speed in milliseconds and see how many packets are dropped. I use this often to troubleshoot intermittent internet connection problems because while it is running you can actually watch the connection degrade and drop packets. The statistics at the end of the ping are valuable for troubleshooting.

Go to a command prompt and type ping www[.]yahoo.com -t the -t switch is what makes the ping run for ever. To end the test hit Ctrl C. See attached file.

Now if you really want to get geeky type tracert www[.]yahoo.com and you can see all the hops skips and jumps your packets make to get to their destination.

THE BRACKETS AFTER THE WWW WERE ADDED TO STOP THE URL FROM APPEARING AS A LINK. Do not type the brackets at your command prompt.

38-ping.gif

Quote:
Kyle are you really the GEEKY type or just really friggin smart?
Well I dropped out of college for computer science in 1981 and went to diesel school because I loved engines. Based on that decision I made..how smart could I possibly be? (I kick myself once a week for that decision).

As far as being smart goes, you younger guys don't know what you have with today's resources. If you have an internet connection then you can be as smart as you want to be. This subject could be it's own thread.