6.4 radiators

Rate this topic

I am curious as to what everyone thinks might be going on with these radiators. I am no longer falling for this bad crimp issue. I have had a few trucks that have had multiple radiators replaced. All of the new ones have been after the certified build date and the crimps were inspected upon installation only to have them come back seperated. It is always on the left hand side of the radiator. I was thinking a possible pressure issue or something like the flow of the coolant since it flows to that side seperating the crimps. It is just frustating because this is getting a little ridiculous. How hard is it to make a radiator that wont fail?

Crimps look pretty much the same side for side... Bear in mind, I haven't seen any multiple failures.... If I were to see a repeat failure, especially in the same area and especially if the rad was "certified" stock, I would try to get involved with engineering to find out why....

The cooling system is very "dynamic"... localized hot spots making coolant flash into steam.... concerns with cavitation due to harmonics... and possibly several other possible concerns. We read coolant temp at the ECT... and all we can be sure of is that the temp of the coolant surrounding the ECT is "what it is".... Look at the head gasket... notice the "steam ports"... there's a lot of stuff going on that we, in the field, can't "see"...

With the 6.4, we are treading on ground that nobody has walked on before... Could it be as simple as a poor crimp? Yep... but it could also be the harbinger.... (how 'bout that? Another new word....).

har-bin-ger

n. One that indicates or foreshadows what is to come; a forerunner.

tr.v. har-bin-gered, har-bin-ger-ing, har-bin-gers

To signal the approach of; presage.

One might wonder if Jim has made some interesting conclusions with his recent runaround with a 6.4L engine. In staying with the topic, what might happen to the coolant in the EGR coolers should the EGR valve fail in an open position under a high load/rpm situation? I realize that the function of EGR is to cool peak combustion temperatures but what if the valve was open enough to cause unwanted flow but not enough to drastically affect performance? Would the coolant in the EGR coolers begin to super heat and start to boil? This is probably stretching it but I am thinking it is possible. Maybe even under certain normal operating conditions.

Ever look at the coolant flow chart? The vertical EGR cooler coolant discharges right at the t-stat head in the front cover and if the stats are open it flows directly into the radiator inlet... on the left hand side. I also see the heater core is fed from that area as well. Didn't we see some issues with heater core noise?

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/scratchhead.gif Just thinkin out loud here. What do I know? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/shrug.gif

Posted Image

Yep, anything truly is possible Keith. Hell, the engineers figured out how to make it possible to shoehorn that mo-fo into that tight hole in the first place. Right? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/hammer2.gif

FWIW... I don't know anything either... But I can see that what is happening around the ECT isn't necessarily what is happening in the rest of the system.

May 9th, 2001... the world lost a great man. Smokey Yunick was a man that explored the "whys" of the modern automobile engine. He played a big role in the development of the Chevy "rat" motor (starting with the 396). I've read just about everything he ever wrote... And the one thing he taught me is that most of what you think, ain't. When he was alive, there is a very good chance that he forgot more than many of us will ever learn....

I never had the opportunity to meet the man... but he managed to teach me that all I can measure are those things that I am given the opportunity to measure....but there are ever so many things I do NOT have the opportunity to measure. But this doesn't mean that things will be equal throughout whatever system is the object of our desires...

We can have a "localized condition"... like waves in a pond when we toss a rock.... The further away from the "epicentre", the smaller the wave. We cannot think in absolutes... we have to think in actualities... and we have to consider those waves in the pond...

I'm not the sharpest pencil in the box... I start down a lot of wrong roads - sometimes taking too long to say "Whoa... not this way, Trigger". But there are subtleties in everything we work on that we desparately need to come to grips with.

"Back in the day" some inline engines featured a water distribution device in the cylinder head. These mteal pieces were primarily meant to direct coolant flow to the exhaust valve bowls... They would sometimes corrode and fail to do what was intended.... Engineering has overcome the need for these devices through other methods of flow control... but they haven't overcome the reasons for needing this type of control in the cooling system....... And the need is borne of localized conditions...

The "Smoke"... may his soul rest in peace.... Read what he has written... but don't consider it in "absolutes".... Take his writings and think about them in his discoveries... For an example... we discuss oil pressure.... all we can state is that "this is the oil pressure at the test port"....

The longer I live, the less I seem to know....

I can't count how many of them we've done. Only had one come back for repeat repair which was due to no info about certfied stock. As we speak I had another one come in rescheduled for friday, which also has degas bottle over flow /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/banghead.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/hitthefan.gif

• 3 weeks later...

I heard from a tech that i work with that we are in for a TSB for this. Something about installing a t fitting in one of the overflow lines. A tech somewhere had repalced a bunch of radiators on one truck and on the last one a FSE showed up. I have not have the time to look for this but I am guessing its on fmcdealer since I did not see it on here. (or i over looked it)

This is two links that I boot legged from fmc regarding what you're talking about.

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t78/Ehollenbaugh/Picture303.jpg

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t78/Ehollenbaugh/Picture301.jpg

I'm not sure how this is going to solve any problems though.

I haven't seen any reference to this yet but I too have not gone looking specifically for anything. I am curious as to what and how this is going to correct radiator problems. Did I miss something?

The tech on fmcdealer who was working with an engineer said the radiator failures are caused by pressure spikes in the cooling system that don't return to the degas bottle, the special T fitting supposedly has a venturi in it to resolve this problem. Supposedly a TSB is in the works. As far as how credible any of this is-who knows. It sounds good though.

Don't ask me, I just do what I'm told /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/drinkingdude.gif

JIM!!!!!

I never had the opportunity to meet the man... but he managed to teach me that all I can measure are those things that I am given the opportunity to measure....but there are ever so many things I do NOT have the opportunity to measure. But this doesn't mean that things will be equal throughout whatever system is the object of our desires...

Don't assume the obvious you will get burnt....

JIM!!!!

Don't assume the obvious you will get burnt....

Well......I would assume that if you are going to play with fire, you will eventually get burnt /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/flamethrower.gif :D. Don't ask me what I'm talking about, I,m just throwin sh!t out there and havin a good time flushin my day away /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cheers.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/drinkingdude.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cheers.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/drinkingdude.gif

What is that? Is it any good? you got some? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/shrug.gif

Oh, and who the hell is that picture of in your avatar? I keep gettin a beat in my head every time I see it.

Oh, I forgot you're from Canada. On the US version of Fmcdealer message boards, several people have renamed the process of "taking the edge off" after a hard day at work using alcohol to it's more politically correct term "beercon5 technician fluid." Get it... instead of Mercon5 for transmissions, its BEERCON5 for technicians.

I think the Canadian brand of beercon5 is Molson Canadian or Lebatt Blue.

As far as my avatar: It's Will Ferril doing a classic SNL skit wherein he plays the cowbell for Blue Oyster Cult and is a little-shall we say assertive with his cow bell /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rockon.gif

As far as my avatar: It's Will Ferril doing a classic SNL skit wherein he plays the cowbell for Blue Oyster Cult and is a little-shall we say assertive with his cow bell /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rockon.gif

I got a fever, and the only prescription... is more cowbell!!!!

Cool, gotta like Will, He is a crazy MO-Fo. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thumbup.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/hammer2.gif. And I will be refering to Beercon 5 Automatic technician fluid from now on. Gotta like it.

Is it just me or does anyone else ever wonder why SLTS even exists with these fargin things? Man there is a TSB for almost everything. Looking at the SLTS times is just like a fargin cock tease already. It's frickin useless.

What is that? Is it any good? you got some? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/shrug.gif

Oh, and who the hell is that picture of in your avatar? I keep gettin a beat in my head every time I see it.

Here you go D-Wayne:

http://video.search.yahoo.com/video/play...ell&fr=my-myy-s

Here's you a different look at it: my fse said that if you cut off one of the locator pins on the bottom of the radiator, it wont fail any more. Something about the torque of the engine making the radiator deform, and the locator pins cause it to split. Just repeating what I was told.

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't seen a service message yet, but according to new chatter on the fmc boards this is the part number for the coolant venturi T fitting kit.

8C3Z-8B379-B

I actually just installed it on the truck I put the EGR coolers in. That's the same part number for sure... there's no message or bulletins available yet but Hotline gave me the PN and it's available as a part.

It takes all of 2 minutes to install. Hopefully it'll keep these radiators from blowing out. (and EGR coolers for that matter)

Dave

Why is there no TSB or technical reference for this at all?

The only way anyone knew anything of this was a parts bulletin last week that says radiator replacement now requires one of these kits be installed. Really poor way of communicating this IMO.