Best penetrating oil ever!

Rate this topic

I just came accross this stuff from a heavy truck mechanic friend of mine. It's called BioBlend I don't know where he gets it from but I'll find out and let you know. I had to change an EGRTA sensor on a 6.4l, I spritzed real quick and had a cigarette to let it soak, the thing broke loose with three fingers and a stubby wrench. Worth it's weight in gold if you ask me.

We have a customer that calls her '96 F250 "a vegan" because she runs B100 in it (the truck seemed to running progressively worse at every visit, we just replaced the injectors and it is back to normal). The last visit the clutch pedal was squeeking and binding. I told her that I felt bad that I used petro based lube to free it up; she laughed. But if I'd had this I could have been a real hero! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

we just replaced the injectors and it is back to normal)

For now.... /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Must be nice to install a set of retail injectors and never have to worry about warrantying them, ever /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

You could see that the carbon buildup was probably clogging the nozzles. The fuel hoses between the lift pump and filter canister were dissolved to mush. She knows that it is increasing the maintenance that her truck needs but is still committed to saving the planet. No one involved will be surprised when they clog again.

I love the stuff but as much as it costs I'm hesitant. I started to talk with the friend of mine that introduced me to it, he is a truck tech for a company that mixes and distributes bio-blended fuel. He uses b100 as a parts cleaner or in a pinch as a penetrating oil or lubricant. We had started to discuss the feasability of using straight bio as a penetrating oil, just pouring into a typical spray bottle. Concensus between the two of us says it should work and seeing as you can get a gallon of bio for 3 dollars vs. 12 bucks a can of this stuff I'm tempted to try it so when I can evaluate it I'll let you all know.

I went to the Bio Blend site and then located a dealer near us and emailed them to see if they would sell one can for a trial. Still haven't heard from them, I might have to do it the old fashioned way and use the phone...

We have been using PB Blaster for the rusty stuff, but alway open to new ideas.

A lot of times you wouldn't believe how good old water does the trick..... there is a very real need to assess each task on it's own merit and use an appropriate product... one that experience has told us works well in <THIS> circumstance. I have Kroil, good old weasel piss (penetrating oil from Motorcraft), WD40 and water.... There are times that I simply reach out for one particular can without knowing exactly WHY I picked THAT can over the others.....

Has anyone ever used ATF as hand cleaner? How about Door-Ease for a whack of different things? Toothpaste for polishing? Or valve lapping compound as handy stuff to have around?

Keep watching the old guys... pay attention to what they do - because a lot of it is so second nature that they don't think to tell you about it. They just "do" it....

• Like 1

Has anyone ever used ATF as hand cleaner?

I have found that the best ATF is the stuff that comes out of a unit you're tearing down, complete with grit and sand and all the other associated shit that ends up in the used oil as you are doing your teardown/inspection.

Works better than the $15 a jug hand cleaner.

Now, oil from a burned up ol' C6 on the other hand...not so much good for cleaning, if you dont mind smelling up your entire house/car/etc.

Keep watching the old guys...

The trouble is that its my turn to fill those shoes and I don't have all those tricks yet. I don't let on to the younger guys, I just let them think that I know what I'm doing. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

When I was growing up in Pennsylvania we had skunk piss (I think that Liquid Wrench was the product that referred to). I don't know where we would have found weasel piss, especially in the days before the internet. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

• 3 years later...
  • 4 months later...

Recently “Machinist Workshop Magazine” did a test on penetrating oils. Using nuts and bolts that they ‘scientifically rusted’ to a uniform degree by soaking in salt water, they then tested the break-out torque required to loosen the nuts. They treated the nuts with a variety of penetrants and measured the torque required to loosen them.

This is what they came up with:

Nothing: 516 lbs

WD-40: 238 lbs;

PB Blaster: 214 lbs;

Liquid Wrench: 127 lbs,

Kano Kroil: 106 lbs

(ATF)/Acetone mix (50/50): 50 lbs.

This last “shop brew” of 50% automatic transmission fluid and 50% acetone appears to beat out the commercially prepared products costing far more.

Not sure how you'd get enough uniform "plain old nuts and bolts" to fuck up evenly in what must be "plain old brine"....

But, over the years, depending on the task at hand, I've used water, brake fluid and whatever brand of weasel piss is handy. All with varying degrees of success. Disclaimer - I do not live in any "rust belt" - real or imagined.

Sitting on my bench as I write - WD-40, Kroil, Motorcraft Penetrating fluid, and a half dozen oddballs that seem to have materialized from nowhere but all of them are in really spiffy looking cans that cry out "I loosen shit" (the chemical version of a padded bra). I seem to reach for a particular product based on my task at hand - for no other reason than "that is what I've used in the past" with no emperical proof that it does what I think it does, that it does what it says it does, or that it even does anything at all.

A bolt is more likely to come out based on my actions rather than anything I splash in its general direction.

That is why my favorite penetrant is oxy-acetylene. Spray a little of that mixture in a dynamic fashion onto whatever rusted nub you need to loosen and you are working on a molecular level for sure. If the nub refuses to cooperate in a successful manner you can then melt the crap out of it and blast it off.