Frickin' oil filters... again...

Rate this topic

It seems lately I've been seeing more and more Napa Gold one piece oil filters installed on 6.0s. Not only are these filters crap, the filter element is also not removable from the cap. So, if someone comes in for an oil change with one of these Crapa oil filters previously installed, your customer is going to be into the cost of a new cap as well.

That being said, I just finished with a no-start F-550. The oil pressure guage did not move at all... I popped the hood to see the monstrosity sticking up/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/banghead.gif... turns out that this truck came straight from a lube shop with of all things the Econoline filter installed /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/drinkingdude.gif... so the cap is twice the depth, keeping the oil filter about 4 inches above the drainback valve... New oil filter and cap installed, and it runs like a charm... you'd think somebody would have perhaps retraced their steps, since it was only after the oil change that the truck would not run /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/boink3.gif...

So, 200 dollar tow, 80 dollar cap, 20 dollar filter and 160 dollars labor... 460 bucks by my math... plus tax... so, how much cheaper is the lube shop than the "stealership"?? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/shrug.gif

Oh, that and the fact the batteries had been cranked dead by the good lube folks... sounds like lotsa cranking with a dry HPOP... /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/flamethrower.gif

It seems lately I've been seeing more and more Napa Gold one piece oil filters installed on 6.0s. Not only are these filters crap, the filter element is also not removable from the cap. So, if someone comes in for an oil change with one of these Crapa oil filters previously installed, your customer is going to be into the cost of a new cap as well.

That being said, I just finished with a no-start F-550. The oil pressure guage did not move at all... I popped the hood to see the monstrosity sticking up/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/banghead.gif... turns out that this truck came straight from a lube shop with of all things the Econoline filter installed /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/drinkingdude.gif... so the cap is twice the depth, keeping the oil filter about 4 inches above the drainback valve... New oil filter and cap installed, and it runs like a charm... you'd think somebody would have perhaps retraced their steps, since it was only after the oil change that the truck would not run /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/boink3.gif...

So, 200 dollar tow, 80 dollar cap, 20 dollar filter and 160 dollars labor... 460 bucks by my math... plus tax... so, how much cheaper is the lube shop than the "stealership"?? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/shrug.gif

Oh, that and the fact the batteries had been cranked dead by the good lube folks... sounds like lotsa cranking with a dry HPOP... /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/flamethrower.gif

Funny you should start a thread about this very issue. I just had TWO last week, that I ran into this very situation you mention. And like yours, the customers weren't happy campers about having to pay the $87.00 for the cap that we didn't have in stock. I have since instructed our parts department to keep at least one on hand.

The cost of the filters is bad enough but when you tell a Ford owner that the plastic oil filter cap is $87 you can begin to see why so m any lose their minds. As for the filters I believe they are WIX filters and I have also had a few come through the shop now on 6.0L and 6.4L engines.