heads in cab f-series

Rate this topic

Fire Wrench always works well!!! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/flamethrower.gif

No just kidding, check out this topic I think it may help.

http://www.forddoctorsdts.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=15858&page=1&fpart=1

Right side are the easy ones... did you remove the evaporator case? The only bolt that causes somewhat of a problem is the left rear lower bolt. You can get a bit more access to that bolt by unbolting the transmission mount from the crossmember and jacking it up.

Right side are the easy ones... did you remove the evaporator case? The only bolt that causes somewhat of a problem is the left rear lower bolt. You can get a bit more access to that bolt by unbolting the transmission mount from the crossmember and jacking it up.

:::COUGH:::Sounds like more work then lifting the cab:::COUGH:::

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smirk.gif

I always pull the evap case,it only takes a few minutes.On the drivers side lower back bolt i use a 3/8 snap on torque wrench and it fits ok.A breakerbar and a short 1/2 18 works fine for the degree steps.good luck

Originally Posted By: AlexBruene

:::COUGH:::Sounds like more work then lifting the cab:::COUGH:::

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smirk.gif

Not even close... and you should see somebody about that cough...

I'm with you Tony, but sometimes raising the body is not an option.

Getting those bolts tightened properly is the hardest part of that repair. I cant remember if I pulled the evaporator case or not. Either way, it was really tight. I even removed that silver padding on the firewall, so it does not get destroyed.

in this case raising the cab wasnt an option this was a u-haul truck with a conversion on it to drive cars right up on top of the truck . Couldnt lift the cab with the ramp right over it and the 2 support beams in front mounted to the bumper

in this case raising the cab wasnt an option this was a u-haul truck with a conversion on it to drive cars right up on top of the truck . Couldnt lift the cab with the ramp right over it and the 2 support beams in front mounted to the bumper

F-that. I feel for you. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/puke.gif

Originally Posted By: robp823

F-that. I feel for you. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/puke.gif

If it was me, I would've asked that the overhead obstruction be removed, failing which I would pass on the job.

Quote:
failing which I would pass on the job.

Times must be great up there in the north. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rockon.gif

I wouldn't turn down anything right now, almost every dealership in my area and all brands even foreign have lay ed off people in the last month.

If it was me, I would've asked that the overhead obstruction be removed, failing which I would pass on the job.

But how can you justify doing that if the published procedure does not call for cab removal?? If anybody at my shop tried to refuse a job for that reason, they'd be handing out resumes the same day...

I just had a 6.4 that was built that way. i could not even raise the hood all the way. what a pain in the ass that was!!

but really 6.0 heads are gravy kid.....do enough of them and you will be cruising through them in no time. believe it or not I find them easier doing cab on rather than cab off

Heard a rumor today that the head bolts were getting ready to be recalled. Anyone else heard this?

Hahaha /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smirk.gif Bring it!!! I'll be ready with my cheater bar in one hand, and a bottle of ibuprofin in the other. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cheers.gif

I heard from one of our techs who moved to a dealer just south of us in Greenfield Mass. who heard if from his parts manager when he was ordering head gaskets for a customer pay gig that was getting a head stud upgrade.

My opinion on this is that ANY FSA or TSB would place Ford in a position of liability where product quality or reliability would then come under certain scrutiny. This could make them liable for countless repairs for a condition that they have consistently had the position that aftermarket devices are the root cause of most head gasket failures... despite the redesign of the heads and larger head bolts back in 2006. I seriously doubt Ford is in a financial position to open themselves up to that kind of liability. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/2cents.gif

Quote:
I seriously doubt Ford is in a financial position to open themselves up to that kind of liability

I agree Keith. Ford will probably have it worded very carefully. Something like product upgrade not applicable to warranty or recall.