Movin On

Rate this topic

Tony302600

Today I gave my my manager notice that Jan. 2nd is my last day. It's just time to move on(and the dealership turned into a beautyshop drama factory). I had an awesome time working on trucks, meeting interesting people, aquireing bonds with customers and learning life lessons. The business is turning sour and you can see it in eveyones eyes.

I finally gave into my dad's countless offers to leave the business and make at least twice as much with less stress and easier work with him. I'll get to take vacations whenever I want, work whenever I want, the perks of taking over his business. Plus I get to be my own boss and deal with everything myself. If something happens to him, he has no one to hand the company over to so here is where I stand.

I hope the best to all you guy's. Keith, can you keep my account alive so I can check up with you guys and see how everything is going. You guy's have a rough road ahead of yourselves and i know you'll get through it.

Tony H.

Merry Christmas to all of you and a happy new year.

On edit: I'll be celebrating christmas in the carribean with the girlfriend. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thumbup.gif

Tony best of luck to you, I'm pretty sure Keith will keep you active, after all you have added some colorful posts. It's never dull here on the DTS. Stay in Touch /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thumbup.gif

Quote:
On edit: I'll be celebrating christmas in the carribean with the girlfriend.
/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rockon.gif

Carumba. Well I can't say I blame you, hehe your buddy Andy over there is gonna have his hands full now.

So uhh... are they hiring?

(Maybe I should ask if your dad's hiring too).

I know I'll see you around soon enough but best of luck to ya anyway!

Dave

Tony I wish you the best as you continue to travel your life's path. I hope it works out for you. As for your membership here I respect any member who moves on and you like anyone else is always welcome here. It's almost a brotherhood at this point!

You get the five headbanger salute for your contributions and participation!

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rockon.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rockon.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rockon.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rockon.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rockon.gif

Thank's Guy's.

Carumba. Well I can't say I blame you, hehe your buddy Andy over there is gonna have his hands full now.

So uhh... are they hiring?

(Maybe I should ask if your dad's hiring too).

I know I'll see you around soon enough but best of luck to ya anyway!

Dave

Andy and Rob are both good guy's....just a lil stressed with how the industry is going. ( I guess ). But hopefully with my dad's plans....his business will turn into a franchise. That would be the best case sceonario.

I don't blame you for making that decision. I too see the business going south and have applied for a job out of the industry. I need to go through a lengthy hiring process so I will continue turning wrenches to feed my family. God bless you and everyone on DTS. I wish everyone happy holidays and that you're surrounded by the ones you love. Thats what it's all about.

I also wish you the best of luck! Leaving the industry and doing something new can be a relief and stressful all at the same time. Being a mechanic for any length of time, especially at a dealer where the vehicle line can be focused and concentrated to very specific lines and repairs, can give a nice sense of security. At the sametime it can suck ass. We can be appreciated by management or pissed on depending on the size of the dealer. Needless to say, if you are on top of your game (which I feel if a person is part of this community then that person is definetly on the ball) it can be dificult to make the decision to leave the industry.

Even on the worst day when you can't take it anymore, the next day can be the best you have ever had. It takes a bold step to switch gears and do something totally different. I'm sure there is alot of encertainty to what your daily schedule will be like compared to the hum-drum existence of the life at a dealer. I mean there isn't a day that goes by when I wake that I know where I'll be when I get to work......in front of my toolbox trying desperately to beat the clock.

It would be a neat thing to experience the anxiety that comes with waking and not knowing what the day may bring. I think these days are ahead of you for at least a while and I hope they bring you prosperity and peace of mind!!!!!

I also wish you the best in your new direction and endeavor. Would you care to share with us the nature of his/your business?

Good Luck!

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thumbup.gif

It's in commercial food equipment repair. Basically industrial/commercial appliances(fryers, ovens, grills, etc etc) and slight refrigeration. His backround is he used to work for a company that did this and hated how guy's took advantage of being hourly and they just didnt care so he started his own business, A & R Diagnostic Service. He is getting busier and busier now since everyone is trying to save money, and he lowered his service call rate because he's making a crazy load on part's and is still half as cheap as his competitors.

What's turning this from becoming a BIG company in chicago is he can't find quality people that wont take advantage of the hourly system. He had a fleet of workers but customer complained about how slow they were and their attitudes so he fired eveyone (3years ago)and has been doing it himself. When my dad goes on vacation...his customer's wait. They WILL NOT call anyon else. Last I checked he has 1500 dedicated account's and X amount of here and there calls.

He want's to expand to Florida because my uncle is down there and he hates winters LoL. So we'll see what happens.

The stuff is easy, you have 4 part's that can fail in a fryer/grill/over. It's easy stuff and theres big money in it.

He's been going after me for year's because he know's my work ethic but I wanted to try my own path.....but now the path has come to a fork in the road and i'm choosing the route with a GPS. LoL. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rockon.gif

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rockon.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rockon.gif

Quote:
Basically industrial/commercial appliances(fryers, ovens, grills, etc etc) and slight refrigeration.

Look at it this way Tony, this will be different but the same. Still get to play in grease and smell like french fries, just like the veggie burners.

Quote:
Basically industrial/commercial appliances(fryers, ovens, grills, etc etc) and slight refrigeration.

Look at it this way Tony, this will be different but the same. Still get to play in grease and smell like french fries, just like the veggie burners.

LoL, it's not as bad as i thought. I remember working on a mining truck one time..i hit the trigger on my 1/2'' impact and had 10lbs of white dust engulf me and my bay. That was funny. I

Good luck Tony. You will be great at anything you do, because you strive to be the best. This is going to be so exciting working in different places every day, not trying to beat the clock day in and day out. I hope it works out. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cheers.gif

• 2 weeks later...

*Update*

Back from vacation...I can't believe our plane didnt get delayed with the horrible weather we had in chicago. Even better new's on the trip i proposed to my girlfriend and she said yes!!!!!! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rockon.gif So now I have to plan a wedding in the future. I hope everything is going awesome for you guy's, i got word that the truckshop is slow...so i only have 1 more week then im out.

Merry belated christmas, and Happy New Year guys.

Tony H.