Wheel Bearing Failure

Rate this topic

Looks very familiar. Except yours still has a nearly complete brake rotor.

Had a '99 F350 with a 10 horse trailer in tow start to lose the bearing in the Poconos. He drove 250 miles all the way back. The driver had nearly no brakes and next to no steering all the way back. He stated he heard NOTHING! Uh, ok.

It looked just like that. Was one hell of a big ticket with everything cut up, rotor, caliper, bracket, axle, spindle nearly cut in two, hub gone, wheel and tire destroyed from the wild circle track alignment!

Flip side of the coin.... <some> aboriginals will slip the socket of a separated tie rod end over the ball stud and secure it with a bicycle inner tube and continue to drive.... The reason they used bicycle inner tube? Convenience... they used to use strips of moosehide... but it is easier to steal a bicycle than kill a moose out of season...

I'm sorry if I appear to stereotype... shit happens....

We absolutely require both safety and anti-tampering legislation in Alberta... but our elected officials look at these types of legislation as "political suicide"...

Even in our modern times, we still have "eunuchs".

will slip the socket of a separated tie rod end over the ball stud and secure it with a bicycle inner tube

This is a good idea....for the mechanic to drive the truck into the shop from the parking lot after it's been towed in....

I've seen tie rods re-attached with large plastic tie straps, and one with coat hangers holding them together. And they weren't even in the shop for the front end.

I just sent emails to our motor vehicle agency in trenton to get a vehicle our local or state cops wouldn't take off the road. ( jurisdictional pissing match) A 1992 F150, with a roach coach body on it. Came in for a flat tire.

The owner said "don't pick it up or it'll break in two" Laughing about it.

I looked under there and the frame was snapped in two on BOTH sides, the right side having its break right AT the 60 gallon propane tank.

This asshole was driving it every day for obviously a long time as the frame ends were all beat up and rounded and parts rusted badly.

The DMV came through, pulled it, and pulled the inspection license of the shop that passes anything.

See it everyday lately, the scrap haulers seem to get away with all sorts of things like that. Usually the junk on the trailers is in better shape then the clunker they're towing it with.

You got caught driving a commercial vehicle in Ontario with a defect like that, they'd cut your balls off.

Wow. That's. Just. Awesome.

I just put a rebuilt rear differential carrier in a 2000 F550 cattle truck. It has been sitting on our lot waiting for the parts since about 2 1/2 months ago. The left rear inside dual blew out while it was sitting on our lot and the outside tire on that side went flat. When I(very gingerly)pumped it up to get it in the shop, it had a rather obvious bruise(circular bulge) on the inside sidewall. The tires were both badly weather checked and had been retreaded. It went right to a nearby truck tire dealership when it left here, but I noticed the very faded annual safety sticker had expired a year and a half ago. The rear rotors were pretty well rusted away and the whole underside was very rusty. There was at least 4 inches of cow poop(luckily dry)inside it. The reason for replacing the carrier assembly was the axle side gears grenaded and took the rest of the diff with them. It was driven to our dealership. How do people get away with driving junk like this? Posted Image

If Aarons talking about his own neighbourhood....There isn't a large amount of the O.P.P. on patrol in the sticks....He must have really been tearing it up and making all kinds of hell to get busted....

Ha. There is NOW. OPP took this over from Amherstburg police in the spring, and them fuckers are EVERYWHERE.

And it was a mid throttle toot, it just had no exhaust on it, and everyone got ALL fuckin' bent out of shape.

Plated, and insured, and everything. Sheesh.

Those little punks tooting around in those so-called "rice rockets", you know those beat up old Jap crap pieces of turds on wheels (mostly Honda Civics) with those fart can exhausts? THOSE are the ones that I think SHOULD be getting harrassed by our local constabulary on a day-to-day basis. In fact, THOSE are the pieces of turds on wheels that I wouldn't feel bad seeing the engines blown up under that so-called "cash-for-clunkers" deal that you folks down South have going. Posted Image

Those little punks tooting around in those so-called "rice rockets", you know those beat up old Jap crap pieces of turds on wheels (mostly Honda Civics) with those fart can exhausts? THOSE are the ones that I think SHOULD be getting harrassed by our local constabulary on a day-to-day basis. In fact, THOSE are the pieces of turds on wheels that I wouldn't feel bad seeing the engines blown up under that so-called "cash-for-clunkers" deal that you folks down South have going. Posted Image

I actually welded a soup can on for a kid when I was at the indy garage. They're now Soup Can exhausts, forever. It was a Chunky soup can. Sounded very, very authoritative at idle. Posted Image

As for the racecar - went up a half block at about 1/3 throttle. Cops were here before we even got it back to the house.

I used to work at a service station when I was in high school and tech school. It came in NOT for brakes, but an oil change and tire rotate. I pulled the front wheels off while the oil was draining and saw not a rotor but the ribs in the rotor. I called the customer and told them they will need brakes obviously and gave them the estimate. They asked if it could wait for a while, I obviously said no and that it had to be fixed NOW. They regretfully consented and I repaired the front brakes. When I removed the caliper what was left of the rotor fell off on the ground. I than pulled the rest of the rotor off the wheel studs. Why do people always want to skimp on brakes???? It is their life and everyone elses on the line. Let an oil leak slide a little but NEVER put off brakes.

Just had a guy come in with an '04 F150 FWD, he's complaining of a metallic grinding noise near his feet intermittently. When he stops, then goes again it isn't there for a while.

We mentioned about the IWE problems (truck has 140k on it) and I go to take a look under the truck (in the lot) and I see brake fluid pouring out the left caliper and spraying all over the wheel.

He says "oh, I know about the brake caliper leaking" I just want the grind to stop. My 3 KIDS don't like hearing it when I'm driving"

I walked away and left him to the owner of the shop...Fucking idiot.

"Whaddaya mean my brakes are almost worn out???? They were OK this morning!!!!".

These are usually the ones that have the rotor face worn off, and the pad backing plate halfway through the vents.

"Just started making noise as I pulled in here!"

• 4 months later...

Hahaha, well he's not the only contender for a Darwin Award - I know I wouldn't be crawling around under that thing with a camera, lol!!

(I kid, I kid)

I remember an 01 Expedition one time, customer complained of noise in the front end. Loosest ball joints in history. Raised the truck up and, no joke, the wheels sag and the left front ball joint just pops right out of the socket and the whole knuckle swings out and away from the control arm. A *light* tug on the other wheel seperated the joint on that side too.

The great thing is that the guy DIDN'T WANT TO FIX IT. We had to have guys hold the wheels in place so we could lower the truck down & guide the ball-studs back into the sockets as the weight came onto the suspension. He did get it towed out of there (thank God) but it was still retarded.

Dave

Here's another contender - 08 F450 - customer states - was driving down highway with wheels unlocked and in 2 wheel drive - loud bang and wheels locked up....Other guy that works for the company was following him and said he about lost the truck when it happened - pretty sure it was in 4 HI!!!!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image