What's in your bay, part II

Rate this topic

Aaron

Bruce, that 427 is likely a tall deck (10.200") motor.

I'm assuming you are referring to the 366/427 engine. Did those engines use the same bellhousing bolt patterns that all other Chevy CAR/LIGHT TRUCK engines used, or are those unique to the medium duty truck application to accomodate the circular style patterns on truck trannies?

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pretty much everything is the same, the water pumps are different and they used a gear driven camshaft as opposed to a chain drive if memory serves me rightly.

9.800 is the standard deck height for a big Chevy.

366/427 is basically the same external dimensions.

I'm pretty sure the bellhousing pattern is the same, I know a guy who put a car 327 in a C60 years ago. I don't think Chevy ever used a circular style bellhousing pattern on gassers. Some of the MD engines did have an extra bellhousing bolt at the top "peak" of the bell pattern IIRC. Rumor was this identified a 4 bolt main or something, but I think that was proven wrong in the long run.

I still think it would fit in my car.

Posted Image

I'm pretty sure the bellhousing pattern is the same, I know a guy who put a car 327 in a C60 years ago. I don't think Chevy ever used a circular style bellhousing pattern on gassers. Some of the MD engines did have an extra bellhousing bolt at the top "peak" of the bell pattern IIRC. Rumor was this identified a 4 bolt main or something, but I think that was proven wrong in the long run.

I still think it would fit in my car.

Posted Image

We can make ANYTHING fit Posted Image

However....I'd think a Sonny Leonard 762 inch big chevy would be a nice fit in there Posted Image

As an aside - the LS series (gen III) small block have the extra bell bolt at the top of the bell that you mentioned, as well as some of the truck blocks. I forget the exact trans configuration that was in those things, likely an SM465 in most of the 'lighter' stuff. Let me get the ol' Chevy literature out when I get home.

This old truck has an Allison MT series transmission, which is the mid-size design for that era, so it may have an adapter plate between the open bottom engine flywheel housing and the transmission's full-round torque converter housing. I remember replacing a trans on an early 80's C60 with a 366 and an MT, I believe that was the case with that truck.

As an aside, if this guy walks from this truck (I'm just putting that out there) I'd love to put that 427 in something like a '32 Ford 'A' or a T-bucket. I've also got a line on some early Hemi's, can't remember if they're 354 Red Rams or 392 cid. My wife has an uncle down south with an early 60's Dodge truck so equipped, and a new or reman engine for it sitting in his shop. Hmmmmmm, imagine that in an open hood roadster.....

MOPAR = Mostly Old Parts And Rust

Posted Image

EXTREME PRO STOCK 932 CU. IN. SEMI-HEMISPHERICAL 5.300" BORE SPACING 2100HP

GM SEMI-HEMISPHERICAL HEADED ENGINE

5.080" BORE X 5.750" STROKE

NATURALLY ASPIRATED (NO NITROUS)

2100 HP @ 8100

1475 LBS. Torque @ 6500

PRICE $89,300.00

I want it.

Absolutely disgusting, in a very desirable way. Kinda like a hot girl in a trailer park. Or a chili cheese dog. 2100 horsepower, at 8000+ rpm, that would sound pretty freakin awesome with short stacks. Earplugs definitely recommended!

Pretty much everything is the same, the water pumps are different and they used a gear driven camshaft as opposed to a chain drive if memory serves me rightly.

9.800 is the standard deck height for a big Chevy.

366/427 is basically the same external dimensions.

The 366/427/454 truck engines (also called marine engines) were tall engines using a different block casting than the 396/402/427/454 car engines (these two truck engines had three compression rings on the pistons). IIRC, bell housing flange was different, to. The engines still had timing chains but I recall it being a double row roller chain rather than the light duty "silent" chain. Intake manifolds will not interchange.

Here, the memory gets real fuzzy, real fast... I believe that the camshaft was also mounted higher in the block making the chain longer... but I have the nagging feeling I have this confused with another engine.

No, you're right on the raised cam location.

I believe all the "truck" motors were 4-bolt main.

Like you said...memory is kinda fuzzy -- Intakes are different, distributor is different, I believe the water pump is different too.

It's funny though, most of the aftermarket guys are using 10.200 blocks.

Bruce - I think you should build yourself a factory appearing motor.

Alum headed 435hp/427 appearing with 3 2's on it...yet the bottom end, she's 540 cubic inches, with air flow research 357CC magnum heads, and a full rollerized valvetrain.

Or a ZL1 motor....aluminum everything Posted Image

Posted Image

'63s never came with big blocks, so I'd have to cut the crossmember a bit to put one in. I'd probably rather put a high revving smallblock in it with the Rochester FI setup I've been sitting on.

I passed up a great car a few years ago that I should have bought- '63 SWC pilot car SN#21 for $35K. A pilot car is just that- completely handmade, with hand laid FG panels and a lot of little doodads that are different than regular production cars. I was in the process of selling the shop so it was a bad time for me so I turned on one of my buddies to it and he bought it. That car, restored, is worth the better part of $150K, even in today's market, as they only built 25 of them and only 11 are known to exist (IIRC). It's a running, driving, decent looking car with the wrong motor in it, but what a frigging great investment. I bug my buddy regularly to sell it to me, but NFW...

SWC's have not lost much value lately when compared to other midyear Vettes.

Posted Image

You wanna buy my longblock?

427 cubic inch small block chevy, Dart Little M block, 13.6:1 compression, Airflow Research 235CC heads, all Lunati bottom end with Wiseco pistons and a camshaft innovations custom solid roller cam, T&D Shaftmount rocker arms. It's got a super victor CNC ported by Airflow research with a 1050 Holley Dominator carb up top. Preliminary figuring puts it between 750-800hp on the motor...and I have a fogger to install later.

Should be good to about 8500 or so before you need to shift it Posted Image

Yowza! What are you putting that in? I'm not really interested in buying the 427, just idle chatter right now. Oddly enough, I just put a 2180 stroker in my VW Karmann Ghia, so that's my current "project toy". The Vette is "done" as far as I'm concerned. It's stone stock numbers match and restored.

Posted Image

• 1 year later...

How about an Edge w/ MyFordTouch and every other electronic nightmare novelty and a 6.7 that has all the power in the world until you hook a trailer to it. Let's not forget the 6.0 with DieselCare and it really should get 8 injectors.

The impossible merely takes a little longer....

6.7 that has all the power in the world until you hook a trailer to it.

A 6.7 locally got a ring and pinion for the exact same reason 'cause the dipshit salesman specced it wrong. Check the ratio.

Speaking of 6.7s I'm finally tearing mine down. Head off, a couple of pistons out, front cover off, HPFP off. That aluminum head is light as a feather! No huge surprises yet on design, pretty good overall. Front seal has a grit guard that was stuck to the crank and wouldn't let the cover slide off. I'm still wondering about CMP access in-chassis with that monster aluminum bracket partially blocking it. Upper pan has two big long passageways cast into it for oil suction and delivery to the cooler. I don't have the tools yet, so no injector puller. (They've been on Ebay but I'm waiting until the price comes down to a G.) I remember in training the injectors didn't seem very tight. A prybar wouldn't get them out but I discovered the if you invert the crab it works great for a puller. There's a million bolts in this thing, I can't believe you guys can put in a long block and know where every bolt goes. I'm glad I don't have to put this thing together so it runs- I'm rusty to the core on wrenching. Shot 500+ pics in the last couple of days.

Posted Image

2005 E-450 with all of 45,000 original kms. (out of warranty by time CHA-CHING!!!) on the clock getting a set of coolers. In my next bay, a 2009 MKS for a set of phasers. Depending on how the week progresses, I may have a 2004 Excursion 6.0L coming in that the owner wants me to "bullet proof" for him as an SJ .......

At this time of night i figure there's a least one varmint making its rounds in my stall......maybe feeding off crumbs on top my toolbox

no cars, no carryovers, aint that nice. we'll see if my manifolds/uppipe 6.4 shows up tomorrow

2008 F350 with 116,443 km on it. Spewing coolant out the degas. Egr coolers dry as a popcorn fart. Off come the heads and I hope I find something for warranty to pay for.