6.7 Release

Rate this topic

6.7 Job 1 begins Jan 18, 2010, and is 'okay' to buy March 8, 2010 - classes? June? August? I love how Ford "plans" this stuff out!!!!

Quote:
December 21, 2009

To: All Ford and Lincoln Mercury Dealers

Subject: COMING SOON - Motorcraft Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF)

The following information is provided to prepare Dealerships for the launch of the new 6.7L Diesel engine in the 2011 F-Super Duty. A more detailed communication will be released in January, 2010 once the new Motorcraft Diesel Exhaust Fluid is released for ordering.

WHAT IS DEF?

A non-hazardous clear fluid (67% deionized water / 33% chemically pure Urea) that is injected into the diesel exhaust system to reduce NOx emissions.

WHY DEF?

Required for the 2011 model year F-Super Duty 6.7L Ford diesel to meet 2010 EPA emission regulations

For use with competitive make vehicles using a SCR (selective catalytic reduction) system

The majority of diesel (light and heavy duty) manufacturers will use DEF to meet the new requirements

PART ORDERING

A communication will be sent in early January to announce product ordering details. In general:

DEF is a supplier direct ship product, similar to Motorcraft Coolant & Refrigerant

Dealers can order product directly or through their facing Ford Authorized Distributors

FADs will have product by late January (prior to dealers receiving vehicles)

KEY DATES

Motorcraft Diesel Exhaust Fluid will be available to order early January 2010

Super Duty Job1 is January 18, 2010

Super Duty "ok to buy" is March 8, 2010

MOTORCRAFT PACKAGE OFFERINGS

Part Number Package Size Dispenser

PM-27-1G 1-gallon Bottle Fast fill - no spill nozzle included

PM-27-J 2.5-gallon Jug Fast fill - no spill nozzle included

PM-27-D 55-gallon Drum Pumping equipment required (Rotunda)

PM-27-T 275-gallon Tote Pumping equipment required (Rotunda)

DISPENSING EQUIPMENT

55-gallon drums and 275-gallon totes will require specialized pumping equipment offered by Rotunda.

Look for special pricing in the Rotunda 2010 NADA Promotion with pricing effective January 1 – March 31, 2010.

Order on the web at FMCDealer.com / Technical Tools / PTS, then click on Rotunda / GSE, or by calling 1-800-ROTUNDA (768-8632), and select option #2.

ROTUNDA DEF DISPENSING EQUIPMENT OFFERINGS

Part Number Description Price

256-00167 DEF 55 Gallon Drum Dispensing System – Electric $1,399.00

256-00168 DEF 275 Gallon IBC Tote Dispensing System - Electric $1,599.00

ACTION REQUIRED

Familiarize yourself, and your employees, with Motorcraft Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF)

Plan to order DEF to ensure availability for your customers

Capitalize on the lowest cost per gallon cost of purchasing 55-gallon drums or 275-gallon totes

1 & 2.5-gallon containers are recommended for consumers wishing to have DEF on hand

Order as soon as available. Dealers with inventory of Motorcraft DEF will have their contact information placed on the Department of Energy (DOE) DEF locator website. http://www.afdc.energy.gov/afdc/locator/def/

Ford will be providing this information to the DOE based on dealer inventories of DEF verified purchases in early January 2010.

FAQ

Why use Motorcraft DEF?

Motorcraft DEF is API certified, meeting ISO22241, and is the only fluid approved and recommended by Ford Motor Company. Inferior product may result in costly damage to the SCR system. System damage as a result of inferior fluid is not eligible for warranty reimbursement.

How is the vehicle filled with DEF?

The fluid is supplied through a fill port located next to the diesel fuel fill port; it has a blue cap clearly marked for diesel exhaust fluid.

What is the capacity of the vehicle DEF tank?

The DEF tanks have a five to six gallon capacity, depending on the vehicle configuration.

How frequently will DEF need to be replenished?

The system is designed to last approximately 7,500 miles between fill ups, coinciding with the oil & filter change interval. However, depending on customer use, replenishment may need to occur more frequently.

Is there a DEF tank level gauge?

The vehicle instrument cluster will provide indication of fluid level in the DEF tank, as well as provide warning messages when the DEF is low and needs to be refilled.

Can the vehicle be operated without DEF?

The vehicle will not operate properly without DEF. When the vehicle DEF monitoring system detects no DEF is available, the vehicle initially goes into a speed limiting mode and then progresses into an idle only mode.

How should DEF inventory be stored?

DEF should be stored out of direct sunlight in temperatures between 23F and 86F (-5C and 30C)

Freezing point is 12F (-11C)

Prolonged storage at higher temperatures will cause DEF to breakdown reducing shelf life.

Storing DEF at 86F reduces shelf life to approximately 12months.

Can DEF freeze in the vehicle?

Yes. However, Ford Motor Company vehicles have a tank and line heater to ensure the vehicle operates in extremely cold climates.

QUESTIONS

Please contact your FCSD Parts and Service Zone Manager.

If you do a manual vehicle entry with IDS and put in P473 as the teartag it will start a session with the 6.7L.

I am not sure how well it works without a 6.7L in the driveway Posted Image but I can see the pids and do most of the tests. It might be useful to see what kinds of things you guys get to do with it.

So how do you keep the UREA from freezing with the truck parked overnight/for a week? It says it has a heater but I assume that it only works when the engine is running??

when you shut the truck off it sucks all the urea back into the tank and heats it there, i have my training book at work ill check it out tomorrow, by the time this engine gets here im going to have to retake the classroom to remember everything i learned in training

If you do a manual vehicle entry with IDS and put in P473 as the teartag it will start a session with the 6.7L.

I am not sure how well it works without a 6.7L in the driveway Posted Image but I can see the pids and do most of the tests. It might be useful to see what kinds of things you guys get to do with it.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

You mean like this? Posted Image

How long have we been able to do this? P473 has been the code for this engine for at least a year and a half...

IDS 64, when i was in indy in sept for traing curt said there was a big problem, ids wouldnt talk to the 6.7, so when we got to louisville in november they had it talking but some functions wouldnt work, pids missing but it should be ready to go march 8th, glad my 6.7 is training is already done

My trucks have both heated urea tanks and lines. They are really old though, the production trucks may just have heated tanks. When it gets cold enough to freeze urea the EGR is off anyway(no emission requirement) so it doesnt really matter initially. By the time it does matter enough urea will be thawed out. It shouldnt be a concern Posted Image

IDS was working fairly well when I tried it. I dont have daily access to it so I cant say when that code started working. P473 is the vehicle code not the engine, they do this with most new vehicle programs. In the past we used 0000 to get access to preprogram functions but it looks like they have already moved beyond that. Most of the pids and functions worked when I tried it but I didnt try any of the resets or IQA functions.