Super Duty cab removal

Rate this topic

I believe that has not been posted here ever. There USED to be something over on flatratetech.com but it disappeared years ago. I bantered the thought of posting something here but then liability thoughts began crossing my mind. I think somewhere a copy of this procedure does exist though. We did discuss this more than once too...

Would THIS be what you're looking for? Not exactly the detail you were looking for, I imagine.

On FRT there was an article about cab removal but the pics, as I recall, were of an Expedition. I vaguely recall <something> on blueovaltechs.com (no - don't bother looking - the site is gone - gone - gone due to lack of interest) about a cab removal procedure but, again, there wasn't much real detail.

I can only suggest that you "dive in". It ain't rocket science and the more times you do it, the easier it gets.... The over-riding advice is always "use your head" but it shouldn't be too hard to get the hang of it.

As an after-thought, you might browse thedieselstop and dieselman for references and/or links.

Thanks for the link Jim but that isn't it.

I agree that it is not rocket science but I don't want to re-invent the wheel when we could learn a lot from you guys who do it all the time. My guys work on heavy equipment mostly. I was hoping to get through the batch of 6.0's that we have without pulling any heads. But....

Thanks for your time and help everyone.

Alex or Bruno had a pretty decent write up on it, I can't remember which one of them had actually emailed it to me.

Don't forget the ground cable above the heater box, and at the second body mount on the passenger's side. Those in my opinion are the easiest two items to overlook during teardown. That and the power steering cooler/air deflector business and foglight harness. All easy stuff to overlook.

I have two documents I have compiled from the internet covering 6.0 cab removal totaling 27 pages with pictures, including the document mentioned that I saved from several years ago. I do not have permission from the authors to reprint them. I will send them to Keith and let him decide what to do.

Good Luck!

Posted Image

When I remove engines, I do remove all the cab-bolts, except for the rear 2. I jack up the front of the cab enough to fit a 4X4 block between the body and frame rail on each of the front corners. That leaves enough room to pull the engine out the front with the oil pan, y-pipe and turbo attached. Headgaskets I don't find difficult with the body in place. As for the back of steel-that I definitely do not have-I do have a good group insurance plan that gets me a massage monthly!

Quote:
I do have a good group insurance plan that gets me a massage monthly!

I hear ya, I keep my chiropractor in business for sure. My hat's off to you and everyone else that does them cab on!

Keith, I have done them both ways. Cab off is the only way for me unless it's just not feasible. I have even done a 6.4 with cab on. It's hard to make an informed decision about it unless I have done it both ways.

I'm 40 years old and burned out. So I'm tryin to make my job as painless as possible. That means cab off for me. But I have been takin cabs off since the release of the '97 F-150 when they started tuckin the engines under the cowl. I have also been doing the "alligator" trick since the first turbo charged 7.3l IDI. It's a whole lot easier to get the engine out without having to monkey around with them goofy exhaust pipes with the body tilted back.

Brad... at 60 I figure I got about ten years left in me (hopefully more) before you see me on "people of walmart". I don't go to the chiropracter because of this overwhelming fear that he wont be able to uncrack something should the need arise. (Read that as my back fucking hurts... I sieze up when I sit down and it can take a while to limber up).

I do 6.0 heads over the fender - for me a treat is doing them on the floor rather than climbing up that extra half a foot my hoist presents. Lifting the cab? I don't bend in as many directions (or places) as I used to - what can I say?

Old age - I'm not as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was Posted Image

If everybody hates this business so much - if somebody can't make a decent living at it - if it is screwing up somebodies chassis - why would they still be here?

Because it is so much better than any of us want to admit.....

There's lots of things we could do... but only one thing we want to do....

I can see me now... In my handsome blue vest... "That ain't how you work the self check-out you dense bitch"..... "The fuggin' buggies are over there - get one you lazy dork...".

I wasn't bitching as mush as I was commiserating. I agree that for some of us our careers/jobs are somewhat of a conundrum when you think about it. For me it is not "the job" so much as it it all of the bullshit you have to deal with that comes with the job. The bullshit is derived directly from other human beings therefore what the heck would you be doing that wouldn't come with bullshit? Eh? Posted Image

Wasn't this about cab removal? Oh yeah... cab removal typically means major repairs and all of the BS that goes with it. Nice dovetail! Posted Image