Has anybody noticed?

Rate this topic

Has anybody noticed that in all of the ads and promotions concerning aftermarket "performance" air filters not one chart, or comparison even mentions the stock Donaldson filter? Am I wrong or miss one? I haven't seen one and I was just wondering if any of you have seen one that does. I think that's pretty interesting!

Since they dearly want to sell their particular, they aren't about to publish anything that makes them look bad.... In all honesty, I don't know what benefit these guys think they are getting by using a filter that flows more when the stock filter flows more than enough....

That cool sucking sound is the coin getting syphonned out of the customers wallet... they spend so much on money crap like this that they can't afford to treat their trucks properly....

Jeez, ain't I bitter old SOB....

I think you are right Ed. I have not seen any comparisons to the stock Donaldson filter. Come to think of it, one of our members is a from Donaldson but I haven't seen him around lately. I'll have to see if I can figure out who he is. I would love to hear his opinion on this.

You also have to love that "Zoo-dad" :shrug:  modification for the air filter. Some of these guys remove the filter inlet snorkel and then proceed to drill 3 inch holes in the bezel right in front of the filter. Sounds good in theory but doesn't that seem like it would invite dirt and WATER right into the filter? Apparently these guys have dynomometers in their asses and claim they can feel a difference.

• 2 months later...

i'll add one here, for my 05 3v,v10 i was given a freebe , a AFE cold air kit. only one made on the market for this model. took the truck down to a buddys shop here in new jersey. where he has a 1500 hp chassis dyno,dead stock 268.5 on the ground in a best of 3 pulls, "lots of loose in the 4x4 drive train" added the afe kit 268.7 best of 3 pulls. dyno in my six . i don't think so. only good part is i'm not buying $42.00 motorcraft panel filters every 10 to 15k due to the air in new jersey. men 12k and pitch black. and yep 05/6 3v,v10's have a filter all by them selfs nothing else fits and only wix has a after market. still both are s.o.p. i have not found any one stocking any yet.

seat of your pants dyno .not for me. real time only.

• 2 months later...

Without the Motorcraft/Donaldson AIS kit offered by Ford was one of the best upgrades I have ever made to my 7.3 I went from changing my filter once every oil change to changing it once a year. Its never showed any blockage on the moniter. I just change it once a year to be on the safe side.

• 2 weeks later...

Was talking to a guy "in the know" about this just the other day. He was claiming that there really isn't much more you can get out of them when comparing to the stock 6.0 filter. According to him, a lot of the sale is in the ease of filter cleaning/removal compared to stock. He was saying there was some available improvement on the 7.3 but the 6.0 has a very good intake system. I asked him about the modifications to the grill and he said he didn't feel there were any improvements really, although he said some customers have claimed that with the right aftmkt intake and grill mods, they felt the turbo spooled a tad quicker, not necessarily more peak power, just on the power faster...hell, i don't know, just what 'dis guy was sayin'...... :shrug:

hell, i don't know, just what 'dis guy was sayin'......

That sounds pretty much what I believe most of us have come to think is the bottom line. I get a kick out of some of the mods you read about over at TDS forums. There's a lot of guys that know performance and I totally respect the guys that make the correct mechanical modifications to support the extra fuel they are pumping into them. 

And then theres the guys with the, correct me if I get this wrong, "zoodad" mod. They drill holes in the front radiator support allowing direct airflow into the filter which also allows snow, leaves and rain to easily restrict the filter. I also don't see the possibility of any appreciable gain there either but hey, it gives a bunch of guys something to talk about. :rofl:

So THAT'S what the zoodad mod is.... And they make such a big deal out of it......

Give it a fancy name and all of a sudden it becomes "smart".... like the "CCV mod" and the "10K mod" and (one of my favourites) "harpooning".

We have a couple of customers with trucks that are not their daily drivers.... they have the money to do things and they do it right. But to try this crap with a truck you desparately need to depend on day in and day out flies in the face of sensibility.

We're in the middle of building a 500 inch stroker RB Mopar. Car will be street driven. If te other car is any indication, this one will see maybe 30 or 40 hours a year.

• 11 months later...

I noticed that someone has been posting the Ford Q & A on air filters on several other forums. My amazement continues. I see Doc and Jim making posts that seem to be born from experience but much of anything else seems to be bashing and it comes from both sides of the fence too.

• 8 months later...

If the truck is still at work and the customer is willing to pay for the damage caused by lack of maintance I'll snap some pics of what those so called free flowing air filters can cause ;)

Yeah that pretty much shows what the air ducts looked like when I took it apart, now I think I have one of those "ever since" things about to happen with this thing.

• 3 weeks later...

I read an informative article a while back about intake and exhaust system modifications. The conclusion it came to was that any air filter or catback exhaust system could not improve the airflow in or out of an engine unless the stock system was restricted in those areas. It noted that complete intake or exhaust system upgrades would likely be required to see any power or economy improvements.