What's in your bay, part III

Rate this topic

Keith Browning

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just got off the slopes. 1 of our oldest and most tempermental cats blew a hydro hose the runs from front to back. Lost 12 gallons of hydro on somewhat skiable terrian. Made up new hose and kitty is back at it. Was able to lay down some nice cordaroy on the way back to the cat yard. Posted Image

'11 F-150 with a dynamited cylinder #1 rod and piston assembly, '12 Focus Electric that the customer took delivery of two weeks prior to bringing into us unable to recharge the HV batteries, '08 F-550 6.4L that sounds like a rod is about to window the block like the '11 F-150, '03 F-350 awaiting a new instrument cluster, '04 Expedition that an independent shop has already replaced four new TP sensors TWICE, and still unable to re-train the TPMS ........

'11 F-150 with a dynamited cylinder #1 rod and piston assembly, '12 Focus Electric that the customer took delivery of two weeks prior to bringing into us unable to recharge the HV batteries, '08 F-550 6.4L that sounds like a rod is about to window the block like the '11 F-150, '03 F-350 awaiting a new instrument cluster, '04 Expedition that an independent shop has already replaced four new TP sensors TWICE, and still unable to re-train the TPMS ........

.... which as of today has now determined the fix to be two new HV batteries (to the tune of $13,000 EACH), that I get to be the first tech in Canada (and maybe even all of North America) to replace. YEAH!!!

'04 Freestar .... steering rack and the gear-to-cooler return line.

On the lift before it was the high pressure hydroboost line on a 6.7. Before that was a gear-to-cooler line on an '06 F150. Coming up next is another rack on an '01 Focus.

My bay is a sea of red. These are all the remnants of the last cold snap.

Got another 6.0 ambulance. This ones an 05 E-450 with 96k miles. Cust complaining of a rough cold start and smoke from the exhaust. Scan CMDTCs and it has about 4-5 injector circuit low codes and one #4 high code. Ran injector self test cold and only about half of them clicked. The engine reluctantly started and missed like a crazy. FICM M_PWR was 47-47.50v the whole time. I can see someone has changed the half shell. Once I got it going it seemed to clear up and not really miss at all. Reran the injector self test and most clicked, maybe 1 or 2 didn't but it still threw one #4 circuit low code. The weird part was, all the cylinders that threw low codes cold, were high on power balance. Posted Image

I've done a few injectors and not one ever threw a circuit code, let alone over half and why only cold? I don't have the whole story on this engine yet, supposedly it was replaced at one point.

For tomorrow, an 06 6.0L that needs a new injector, but he has 100hp tips in it, so need to swap them over and a late 90's Freightliner FLD120 with both aluminum saddle tanks cracked, drained them tonite, and will steam them out first thing tomorrow and weld them back up with the TIG. 2001 Cummins that the owner filled it up with gas and wondered why it died and won't restart. And last but not least, a 2010 Dodge 3500 towed in last Friday with a snapped front axle now waiting for approval for the front axle, radiator, and a list of a lot more damaged from hitting a culvert, and an '11 Dodge that snapped a tie rod on another truck of the same company.

- F-650 with an ISB, blown egr cooler which filled the exhaust and intake with coolant. Have to pull turbo to get egr valve off to clean and all the bolt heads are rounded off.

- Just finished an F-650 with an ISB, needed a set of injectors, rocker housing gasket, air compressor, and oil pan gasket.

- Transit bus with ISL, makes a popping noise. Found intake valve stuck solid and two bent push rods. only took 4 hours to get the valve cover off.

- as well as my brothers F-350 "the nightmare truck from hell" also known as the albino turd at our farm. Man roughnecks are hard on stuff.

11 F650 Cummins cracked exhaust manifold/broken manifold bolts

06 F550 dies/won't start at times - P132b, P0401, P0281, U0105, have duplicated once, but all PID's indicate it should run....a little extra cranking time - like a couple minutes (30 second intervals) and it fires up.

05 F650 Coolant temp guage inop.

08 Isuzu NPR crew cab - turbo charger, #1 fuel supply line

08 F450 intermittent engine 'knocking' noise - haven't been able to duplicate yet, P0087

06 Hino 268 loses communication with transmission module

and a couple others I haven't yet looked at

2008 Autocar Xpeditor.

When I showed up to the service call, there were flames coming out of the under dash fuse panel.

Driver panics and sprays fire extinguisher into the truck.

Now I'm working in a truck that smells like an electrical fire and is covered with dry chemical from front to back left to right inside the cab.

I've got a pretty bad cold and a ambulance isn't what I need right now

Just struck me as odd. Posted Image

If you stay home, drink plenty of liquids and keep warm, it will take about 7 days to cure your cold. If you go to work and act normal, it will be gone in a week.

• 3 weeks later...

05 F550. coolant leak and slight venting from degas cap. popped the cap and the smell was like a smack in the face. coolant leak was a shredded intake o-ring like something was inside and knawed its way out.

has anyone ever been able to see a cracked 6.0 cylinder head? I pulled the injectors and I can see a very small mark on the #3 injector cup, I can feel the mark with a small flat blade screwdriver so it is there. My eyes are telling me it looks a lot like a crack but my eyes have been wrong before. It is very small, maybe a 16th of an inch.

Pulling a 6.7L with 2157 km on it. 571 hours, 507 idle hours. Thing shake rattles and rolls for 20 seconds after start up then shuts down. Hotline wanted me to pull the injectors and check the cylinder walls, then pull the exhaust manifolds and check the valves, then pull the pan and check the bearings. We opted to pull the engine and do a teardown.

'03 very rusty 4.0 Exploder:

transfer case back half, jiffy lube overtightened drain plug cracking it

rear axle seals, oh the joy of rust

left valve cover leaking oil

water pump, belt and fan clutch

05 F550. coolant leak and slight venting from degas cap. popped the cap and the smell was like a smack in the face. coolant leak was a shredded intake o-ring like something was inside and knawed its way out.

has anyone ever been able to see a cracked 6.0 cylinder head? I pulled the injectors and I can see a very small mark on the #3 injector cup, I can feel the mark with a small flat blade screwdriver so it is there. My eyes are telling me it looks a lot like a crack but my eyes have been wrong before. It is very small, maybe a 16th of an inch.

Apply regulated air to the cooling system and spray that crack with a little soapy water...betcha you'll get to see some pretty bubbles Posted Image

yeah that ones done and gone. It was actually #8 hole. Head was cracked above injector cup. Couldn't see it without a mirror but soap and pressure worked well. Did one head, the other gasket, and a right bank of injectors. The truck had a belt driven PTO and a bundle of lines running thru the cab the size of my neck. Needless to say that was cab on.

I did use the cooling system pressure tester at the degas bottle but the intake was off at the time because the o-ring was shredded.

I ended up successfully capping all the open coolant ports but the one that gave me the biggest problem was the the intake o-ring hole on the front cover. Jamming a dummy plug down in there worked well enough Posted Image

got a 01 f250 5.4 blown out spark plug someone tried to fixed. 93 f150 5.0 with a intermit misfire.

95 f250 7.3 injectors

94 chevy c1500 burnt valve

and 3 6.0 setting outside