What's in your bay, part III

Rate this topic

Keith Browning

2012 Mustang GT with a spun cylinder #2 rod bearing in my car bay. A 2011 F-450 just came in on the hook as a no-crank no-start, and no instrument cluster power up.

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

F-150 rear diff clutch pack, brakes and some other goodies. just finished an e-350 with broken exhaust studs on both sides, f-450 for a complete 6.4 engine, f-150 exhaust noise, brake lamp on and rattle, and a Camaro with a rattle from the rear over bumps. Also have a project 94 chevy wrecker with a 6.5 that has sat for a year and won't start. I almost forgot, a 6.0 gas chevy engine locked up, ordered engine today. Looks like I'm gonna be busy for a while.

2004 Audi AWD, 2000 Benz 430, 2004 Olds Bravada, 2002? Trailblazer...all with SES light concerns...this was just today and we were REALLY slow. Indy shops are interesting...

We just aquired a BG trans flush machine last week...I am now a flush queen...the Trailblazer was in for tha SES light on Monday. The SM sold/performed a BG 3-step <fuel inj wallet flush> which consisted of sucking 2 pints of magic fluid through the booster hose.

It comes in today with same concern. PO205 MAP. Since booster hose enters intake directly below MAP sensor I removed MAP and cleaned intake port and inspected MAP sensor. No apparent issue. All Data reads "normal". Identifix suggests inpect throttle body for coking/cleaning.

It was nasty. Carefully cleaned TB and all was good...the SM WAS the "A" tech a while back. I've been out of the automotive world for nearly 10 years and still better than most. I sometimes come across as ignorant but just like to hear other opinions. 10 years ago I was prety damn sharp...in some ways I'm even better now. Learned to look outside-the-box more.

Got a 6.0 another shop (competing for dealer out of state) put a front cover, belt and tensioner on a few months ago. It is leaking oil/fuel profusely out of the front. So far I've found the FPR cover leaking fuel pretty badly, enough to soak the whole underside but also there's a front cover bolt missing right near the oil pressure regulator. I can see oil seeping out from behind the gasket.

You'd have to get the balancer out of the way to reinstall the missing bolt. I'm thinking I'm going to reseal the entire front to cover my ass. I hope to god they didn't stretch out the bedplate gasket.

I also found a little bit of oil in another interesting place. In the valley near the oil cooler cover it appears oil is blowing out from under the left side intake gasket(this leak only showed up after I fixed the FPR cover and road tested the truck), it runs down the head and into the valley. I've never seen this before and kind of wonder if my eyes are playing tricks on me.

I have seen intake gaskets leak this way. Depending on which side it leaks from it can, and I did, be mistaken for a leak between the head and rocker support.

I won't even rack my own truck up on it

This is where I draw the line, IF I WON'T DO IT TO MY OWN CAR, I CERTAINLY WILL NOT DO IT TO A CUSTOMERS CAR!!!!

As if MY life/safety is more important than THE CUSTOMERS life/safety?!

I mean no offense to Matt, but this is my opinion.

08 F450 with a rad leaking that took out a cooler. Didn't think I was gonna make it in the shop without bending a rod. Pulled the EGRT2 sensor out unplugged the valve and it geysered the whole way in.

Behind it is the same 6.0 oil leak that I can't seem to locate for sure(cust is on vacation for 2 weeks). Now I know it's the oil cooler cover, just don't know why yet. It was sitting outside for a few days on an uphill slant and the damn thing left a puddle of oil on the parking lot. Went out an looked underneath, it's wet in the valley and running down the left rear corner of the engine. If it's leaking oil in the valley with the engine off it only stands to reason the cooler cover isn't sealed.

08 F450 with a rad leaking that took out a cooler. Didn't think I was gonna make it in the shop without bending a rod. Pulled the EGRT2 sensor out unplugged the valve and it geysered the whole way in.

Have you ever considered PUSHING the truck into the shop with this kind of failure? Posted Image

For one the customer drove it in and parked it on the other side of the building one story down. 10 people couldn't have pushed it up the hill to the service lane.

On top of that you have to make a hard 180 after climbing the hill to get in the shop. Even if I strapped it to my truck and towed it up I wouldn't have been able to make the swing. Then after it's in the doors you have to make a hard left 90 degree turn forward into my bay. I can't make either swing in one shot with a dually.

Not saying what I did was the right thing to do Keith, believe me, when this truck started bellowing white smoke on the way around the building I immediately shut it off, coasted backwards down the hill and parked it until I could think of anything in my power to get it in. I suppose I could have had it flatbedded 30 feet.

Think it would be wise to pull the glowplugs and give this thing a few cranks before firing it up after a repair like this? When I seperated the coolers today it dumped about a half gallon of coolant out from the exhaust side.

I wouldn't pull the glow plugs if someone had a gun to my head. I have gone so far as to bar the engine over backwards a dozen times to clear it out versus the alternative. Glow plug harnesses due not come out up here in Vermont.

Sorry, I confused your 6.4 with the 6.0 your working on. 6.4 glow plugs are tit.

Good idea about barring it over. I do have the fan and stator out so that won't be a problem.

I also had to change that crankcase vent hose that runs down the front of the block. The old one had a hole in it causing one hell of an oil leak underneath.

Originally Posted By: Matt_Saunoras

Have you ever considered PUSHING the truck into the shop with this kind of failure? Posted Image

Nobody has a push truck? Ours is a 1985 F350 with a Holmes wrecker on it. I'm pretty sure I drove this truck when it was new.

We have one of these little gems from powerpusher.com and it is bout 20 years old now. I thought it was finally worn out but we resurrected it again into working order. They are not cheap but considering how much it gets used it is worth every penny. Yes, it moves F550's too. They have a model that can move 100,000 lbs, see the website.

Posted Image

Had one of them bad boys at my old shop in SC. You could also use it to jump start automobiles. Every so often she would lose traction and a co-worker could......uh, "safely" ride on the top to aid in that department. Posted Image

Damn it, that 6.4 gave me no indication that it had ever been hydrolocked. I ran relative compression before I even started because it had a #2 contribution code in it initially. All were 100% and no weird sounds cranking.

I get it all done today start it up and it's got a slight skip to #2. Fuel trims for #2 go to 19 and cancelling the inj compensators causes a 20rpm drop on that cylinder. I pulled the glowplugs on that bank and did a manual test. All cylinders 320 PSI. So I don't know what now, I guess I need to pull the cover tomorrow and have a look at the valvetrain

What are the chances I don't have a bent rod? I have a feeling I'm screwed.

I really hope it is that simple. I know you've run across that a lot Keith. The oil in this engine was sludged up really bad but it also had some coolant in it from the cooler failure. No front cover cavitation I checked today before it went back together. I wasn't positive if the coolant in the oil was the cause of the sludge or if it's a general lack of maintenance.

I was told it had an ESB and one head put in it 30k ago. Don't know which head or the nature of the original failure.

We have one of these little gems from powerpusher.com and it is bout 20 years old now. I thought it was finally worn out but we resurrected it again into working order. They are not cheap but considering how much it gets used it is worth every penny. Yes, it moves F550's too. They have a model that can move 100,000 lbs, see the website.

Posted Image

We've got 2 of these gems, and they're awesome, but I can't see one pushing an uphill slope onto the second floor of a building

I wouldn't sell it short. When ours was new... MANY MANY years ago, I moved an F700 dump loaded with stone. 20 years later I don't think ours could do that anymore however. The motor just doesn't sound right now, BUT it still works.

I wouldn't sell it short. When ours was new... MANY MANY years ago, I moved an F700 dump loaded with stone. 20 years later I don't think ours could do that anymore however. The motor just doesn't sound right now, BUT it still works.

This morning, I heard the tow truck out in the front lot. This almost 30 year old 460 has a familiar sound that is hard to mistake after this long.

It's sitting out front for what seems to be a long time. Parked against a wall is a fleet truck that is obviously a no start. Two of our "not so sharp pencils" are struggling to push this truck away from the wall by hand in order to get behind it and push it with the tow truck. By the time they got it out far enough to get in behind it, there was a fairly large group of us watching and shaking our heads....

It doesn't seem to occur to either of them to pull it ahead with the tow truck.

The future seems bleak.

It was just an injector. Some how, some way. Pulled the valve cover this morning, all the rockers, bridges and springs looked fine from what I could tell, cranked the engine while watching valvetrain movement, nothing unusual. Found a couple "extra" o-ring kits laying around and swapped #2 and #4 injectors. The skip moved to #4, put an injector in it and all is well so far.

I told parts at 10am this morning to get me an injector for this truck because it has to leave in the morning. I had it in my hands at 4:30 on the nose. There are two 6.0 cooler jobs for me sitting outside that couldn't come in because there's no fucking room.