Opinions on this 6.0 Oil additive to cure stiction

Rate this topic

Manager handed me a sheet today of a diesel oil additive specifically made for a 6.0 diesel to cure some stiction issues. Take a look at www.hotshotssecret.com and tell me what you think. Or if you have used the product how did it work?

I think it could possibly work for some of the cold start problems due to stiction but would like to have a few test runs with it before i start recommending it. Would be cheaper than injectors and worth a try on a vehicle that needed injectors IF it worked.

Stick happens, even if you change the engine oil. Our regional ambulance fleet is nuts with maint, stiction is still an issue once they start getting long in the tooth.

I wouldn't recommend trying an oil additive in a professional environment. If there's a concern with an injector it's always best just to replace it.

I have used a similar additive called rev-x on my own truck, didn't make a damn bit of difference. Synthetic 5w-40 made a difference though.

Stick happens, even if you change the engine oil. Our regional ambulance fleet is nuts with maint, stiction is still an issue once they start getting long in the tooth.

One would first need to know what your local ambulance authority considers "nuts with maint". (I'm not an asshole but I play one in real life). One of the things I'm going to ask here deals with engine hours....

As for "stiction" becoming a reality, I must suggest that we read up on planishing and consider how it may affect the spool in an injector.

As a sidebar, I have many sockets that are plain worn out... they aren't broken (though I could be dishonest and physically break one), but they are not warrantable because they have reached the end of their expected service life.

Bottom line... if there was some miracle shit that any oil company could drizzle into their product that would make it better than the other guys stuff, you wouldn't need info-mercials. Scientists would be all over it and it would be "this is the way of the future".

I know, skepticism impedes advance ment - right?

As a sidebar, I have many sockets that are plain worn out... they aren't broken (though I could be dishonest and physically break one), but they are not warrantable because they have reached the end of their expected service life.

Really?! All our tool guys here will warranty our sockets when they get 'worn' out and start rounding of bolts.

Tool with a lfietime warranty has an expected service life of my lifetime to me. If it doesn't function as needed, to me it's not at the end of its service life or worn out. It's defective,. which is as good as broken.

And as for the ambs, ya we watch the engine hours as well as kms. Not 100% sure but I think it's 200 hr/5000km for an "A", 500 hrs/30000 for a "B"

Both services involve an "If it looks like it has the potential to fail, not be 100%, lose 1 drop of oil, burp, smells funny, or has too much dirt on it - replace it" inspection.

Mr. Saunoras,

What did switching to Synthetic 5W-40 do for you? How often do you do changes?

I have been running 5k on conventional oil. Since major repair is complete been thinking on switching.

Mike I'm doing 4,000 mile intervals right now, the oil is still fairly clean at this point with not a lot of soot accumulated in it, I feel this is probably best for injector life. 5k is the max I recommend for any oil under any condition. Regardless of the claims of extended synthetic oil change intervals a 6.0 high pressure system will shear a 40 weight oil down fast.

The cold start performance with the truck is definitely noticable in the winter and you can absolutely tell the injectors are quieter.

Do you guys feel that 5W40 is worthwhile to run in these engines, over the 10W30 I use for oil changes all year round?

I have no idea if the benefits outweigh the cost, if you didn't know it 15qts of full synthetic will run you over $100, more if you have to pay list price. My 6.0 is the only one i've ever known to have synthetic in it but I'm extremely anal about this engine.

Oh I'm well aware of the cost. Trust me. I'm one of those idiots that doesn't mind paying, as long as I get what I pay for. And about the oil changes, I do mine every 5,000 kms. RELIGIOUSLY just like I used to in all my other previous vehicles.

Personally I think it is all a waste of money. ALL of the trucks that have injector related problems have been subjected to neglect or contamination. Dino or synthetic, if you change your oil as you are supposed to you will not have issues. I stand by that statement. The only time I would consider the extra expense of a synthetic oil is in extreme operating conditions - predominantly severe cold where good oil flow is crucial on start ups. In all honesty, when was the last time you saw a base engine failure on a Power Stroke that you could say with certainty was due to the oil itself?

I have never seen Hot Shots Secret in action or know anyone that has used it so I can't say if it "works." How did the engine get to the point that it needs something like this? Did we forget to change our oil? Did we trust oil labs too much and extend our oil change intervals?

I have been seeing quite a few high mileage 6 liters that run really good and have a regular maintenance record.