08 6.4 Head Gasket Failure?

Rate this topic

I've got a 6.4 250 customer thats been blowing coolant out of the degas bottle for some time now, truck has just over 100000 miles on it, went ahead and performed a DPF/DOC and EGR Deletes per customer (in hopes the EGR coolers were causing coolant to blow out of the degas bottle), coolant loss out of cap now is worst with higher tunes and harder driving, had him replace the degas bottle cap - no change, before the deletes and the tuner the truck was stock and the concern was still present, customer states he thinks the man he bought the truck from ran a superchip at one time - maybe damage was done then? I guess my question is has anyone seen any head gaskets issues with 6.4's, I've been working on these trucks since they hit the lots in 07 and have never seen or heard of any "head gasket" issues.

I've got a 6.4 250 customer thats been blowing coolant out of the degas bottle for some time now, truck has just over 100000 miles on it, went ahead and performed a DPF/DOC and EGR Deletes per customer (in hopes the EGR coolers were causing coolant to blow out of the degas bottle), coolant loss out of cap now is worst with higher tunes and harder driving, had him replace the degas bottle cap - no change, before the deletes and the tuner the truck was stock and the concern was still present, customer states he thinks the man he bought the truck from ran a superchip at one time - maybe damage was done then? I guess my question is has anyone seen any head gaskets issues with 6.4's, I've been working on these trucks since they hit the lots in 07 and have never seen or heard of any "head gasket" issues.

Check cooling system pressure with gauge?

• 1 month later...

Michael how about an update.

Wonder also on a strangly similar truck.

What else is common besides egr coolers and head gasket can cause coolant to vent the cap?

EVERY venting issue I have ever had on a 6.4 turned out to be headgaskets.

My last claim on that complete I did was kicked back for .1

They didn't think I needed to get paid for running a crankcase pressure test. That was the whole entire concern, excessive crankcase pressure!!!!

What were YOU thinking? Posted Image

On the topic of studs, and I don't mean to hijack this thread... I was in a seminar a few weeks ago that was put on by a couple of Blue Diamond/Navistar guys... It was a maintenance and repair course for 6.0 and 6.4 engines specifically. One of the participants brought up a question about using head studs-and one of the Navistar guys said not to use them, because the blocks are not strong enough to handle the extra torque loads. Agree, or disagree? Posted Image

My gut instinct is to disagree without any solid reason. If the blocks really were weak where the threads were, we'd surely know it by now. Factory guys will commonly scoff at any aftermarket item especially if it's to cure a design flaw. The incorrect info I've received at major truck shows like Louisville by factory Nav and Ford guys is frightening. It seems there have been substantial thinning of the training depts on both sides and many of them don't know basic things like current model year changes, what model year the demo motor is we're standing and looking at, or any diagnostics. I won't blame the guys directly as they can't be expected to be knowledgeable in all of the corp's products. I could give many more specifics but not in a public forum.......

Posted Image

On the topic of studs, and I don't mean to hijack this thread... I was in a seminar a few weeks ago that was put on by a couple of Blue Diamond/Navistar guys... It was a maintenance and repair course for 6.0 and 6.4 engines specifically. One of the participants brought up a question about using head studs-and one of the Navistar guys said not to use them, because the blocks are not strong enough to handle the extra torque loads. Agree, or disagree? Posted Image

Offhand, I can't remember the spec on the stud for the 6.4 head studs, but I can assure you guys I've never broken a socket doing up 6.4 studs, and broke 'em doing 6.4 stock bolts! LOL.

The 6.0 studs torque to 210FT-Lbs now, and I'd say the tensile force put on the stud at 210 is comparable or even less than the factory bolts with the torque to yield spec.

Never had an issue using studs, only thing I advise anyone to do is make sure the blind holes are cleaned out before trying to install the studs.

I have used studs a few times during repairs. Never had an issue, and some of these trucks have 200,000 + km since repairs. I have seen 6.0 with over 500,000 km since head gasket and studs with no issues.

Not to say it can't weaken the block, but fortunately for me I have not endured such a fatality

Originally Posted By: Alex_Bruene

Offhand, I can't remember the spec on the stud for the 6.4 head studs, but I can assure you guys I've never broken a socket doing up 6.4 studs, and broke 'em doing 6.4 stock bolts! LOL.

The 6.0 studs torque to 210FT-Lbs now, and I'd say the tensile force put on the stud at 210 is comparable or even less than the factory bolts with the torque to yield spec.

Never had an issue using studs, only thing I advise anyone to do is make sure the blind holes are cleaned out before trying to install the studs.

The 6.4l stud torque is 270 ft/lbs. That's a lot of pull. Had to break out our big 3/4 drive torque wrench we got for doing F550 pinion nuts.