The Ultimate Barn Find?

Rate this topic

ktmlew

Posted ImagePosted Image I'm sure I'm one of the few... But I find absolutely no appeal in old cars. In fact, I think I'm the only mechanic I've ever met that has that feeling. Not that my saying that is of any importance what so ever, but I just felt the need to put that out there! Posted ImagePosted Image

My appeal is for so many of them to be in museums. I drove a 1965 Chev 1/2 ton not long ago that was a 70,000 mile original well kept truck. Immaculate and looked nearly new outside, inside, and underside.

Tinny, slow, awful brakes, steering that would warrant a recall, handling that would have Consumer Reports crying for it to be taken off the road, and almost too noisy for a conversation in cab moving at highway speed.

The Impala they showed with the plastic covers still on the seats made me giggle. How many of those with Powerglides could they sell today once the engine was started and the potential buyer heard that LOUD Powerglide fast idle whine?

Do I think this cache of vehicles is a treasure? Hell Yes.

Alex,

You're not. I'm one as well.

Only very few old cars I find interesting, and the ones that I have interest in, I could never afford.

That place is a time capsule.

I was amazed at how many had little to no miles on it. Didnt sound like he was a very good sales guy on moving his product. As cool as they look to be "new" after sitting in storage for so long I bet they are a basket case once you fire them up for the first time.

There are a couple of older trucks I would like to have; maybe someday. I have restored a couple for other guys, less the bodywork, nice way to relax and enjoy working on something. I did get to fly in a 1940's restored bi-plane a couple weeks ago, now that was cool Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image I'm sure I'm one of the few... But I find absolutely no appeal in old cars. In fact, I think I'm the only mechanic I've ever met that has that feeling. Not that my saying that is of any importance what so ever, but I just felt the need to put that out there! Posted ImagePosted Image

I hate all cars

There's a lot of them that I've driven when they were either still on warranty or not far off (I remember seeing my first alternator and my first electronic ignition). I love 'em all.

FWIW - I listen to the "'60s on 6" channel on Sirius......

Me either. The wife has it in her car, she paid for a couple year subscription a while back before it was only month-to-month and ridiculous expensive.

I can't afford SIRIUS.

SIRIUSLY!!

Posted Image

I hardly even turn on the radio when I'm driving, I like the quiet solitude I get to enjoy when I'm driving alone.