Generation differences?

Rate this topic

Aaron

Let me start this by saying I am the ripe old age of 29.

I have noticed with two of the apprentices/co op students at my shop a striking similarity.

If you are between 18-24 years old, is it not cool to bathe/shower anymore? These kids stink bad. And I'm talking 8am Monday morning. Not like 4 in the afternoon when it's 100 degrees outside.

Also, is showing up on time a thing of the past? Neither of these winkies seem to be able to get here by 8. The one kids attitude is "the punch doesn't change until 8:06 (8.0 to 8.1) so i am still on time". No, fuck head. 8:00 is when we start working. That means punched in, lunch in the fridge, and toolbox open. Roll in at 8:05 and then sort everything out.

What the fuck?

Don't even get me started on the complete lack of listening skills and general skills altogether. That can be for another thread.

• Like 1

There seems to be no accountability for one's actions anymore. They just don't give a shit. It starts early too, the new grade 7 kids at my son's school are disrespectful little shits. One of the local radio station DJs has a good theory on this, ever since they stopped keeping score and giving everyone "Participation" ribbons, it has gone down hill. I could go on forever on this one. 

Notice a lot of "can you show me how to do this?" Which translates to "can you do this for me, because it's hard, and I don't want to do it?

Or out and out "can you fix my car for me because I don't know how."

How the hell are you supposed to learn anything if you don't even want to try.

I am going to stop now before I get too wound up.

Both my service and parts manager both stroll in after 8 every day. Parts is a little closer to my age but by the time he gets in and gets shit checked in it's a half hour wasted. If you're waiting on a part in the order don't expect it before 8:30. I'd be in the door at 7 every day except there's no one there to let me in (I've asked for a key but why would a tech need to be there before management? That would make too many people look bad....)

Both my service and parts manager both stroll in after 8 every day. Parts is a little closer to my age but by the time he gets in and gets shit checked in it's a half hour wasted. If you're waiting on a part in the order don't expect it before 8:30. I'd be in the door at 7 every day except there's no one there to let me in (I've asked for a key but why would a tech need to be there before management? That would make too many people look bad....)

I still hold the door for many people when out, elderly, women, families etc, and I'd much rather stand and allow elderly/pregnant women/etc have my seat. However, I do tell my wife quite often that chivalry is dead (and get one nasty look as I proceed to hold the door open for her LOL)

I always hold the door open for anyone, be that man or woman, older or younger than myself. And yes, I would stand up to let an elderly person have my seat if I were in a place where the situation arose.

The more responses this topic accrues the more I see it. Even if we are taught these things at a young age we tend to be more responsible, more aware of our situation and hopefully wiser as we age. Human nature. I have had coworkers over the years that were just like the guys Aaron wrote about. You just want to say to them "If you just set your alarm clock 15 minutes earlier you could get your ass out of the house and to work on time."

:grampy:

You just want to say to them "If you just set your alarm clock 15 minutes earlier you could get your ass out of the house and to work on time."

That doesn't work, I've tried when I had the shop, the problem is dawdling while getting ready.  If the guy sets his alarm 15 minutes earlier, he just dawdles 20 minutes more (watching TV, internet, phone, etc).  The best method I've found of training a latecomer to arrive on time is to rescind his benefits one-by-one, it's the only method that worked for me. I told new hires that they got two tardies a year and that was OK. I didn't really track them, and I didn't use a time clock, but if a guy was tardy more than once a month it quickly came up in discussion. I remember one guy who lived 5 minutes from the shop that was the worst, it was funny that guys who drove several times farther were never late but he was.

Another part of the problem is poor management and failure to deliver consequences.  If management is habitually late (ANY management) it only encourages bad behavior, management must obviously lead by example. I generally arrived at the shop 1-1.5 hrs ahead of the gang to do a quick clean up, get my head on for the day (organizing the day's work), receive new work coming in that morning, order parts, and look for snafus. If a mgr says he's going to do something and later does not follow what he says, his word becomes a joke and nobody believes anything he says. Integrity and continuity are an incredibly important part of being a good mgr.

:grin:

Another part of the problem is poor management and failure to deliver consequences.  If management is habitually late (ANY management) it only encourages bad behavior, management must obviously lead by example. I generally arrived at the shop 1-1.5 hrs ahead of the gang to do a quick clean up, get my head on for the day (organizing the day's work), receive new work coming in that morning, order parts, and look for snafus. If a mgr says he's going to do something and later does not follow what he says, his word becomes a joke and nobody believes anything he says. Integrity and continuity are an incredibly important part of being a good mgr.

:grin:

This hits the nail on the head.  Lead by example

Reply to Bruce's last post.

Well said, when I was working at the ski resort, management did everything right. Where as the next day I worked at the dealership, the dealership as a whole did everything wrong. It was quite an amazing contrast. I would never even think about being late for work at the resort, and my direct supervisor would never ask me to do anything that he wouldn't do himself.

It's up to you old fuckers to instill some work ethics in these children.

Trying to pound common sense into retards heads and severe beatings is now illegal and can get you charged. Common is not common anymore!

Lack of or absence of parents  is the problem with most people today.

My kids are all under 10, I expect all of them to hold doors for people and I do the same. I also try to keep them thank yous coming and also proper eye contact.

As for the getting to work on time... Everyone so far has covered most issues, If you being late effects others them you need to show up on time.

My problem is people who get paid by the hour, come in "early" and then do nothing. I have seen many hours wasted with long bullshit sessions about the weekend past or what ever. Or just waitng for them to get out of the can.

My favorite is the people who brag about  coming in early and are always the first ones out at the end of the day. Usually they are leaving 30 min. to a hour early regularly.

Personally I believe it is all in the way you are raised. Blame their parents... or parent.

agree 100%.

I am 32, and I truely beleive my work ethic, manners, professionalism and how I conduct myself is directly related to how I was raised as a child. There are several things I remember being a big deal when growing up like how to shake someones hand....Such a simple gesture but says a shit load about who you are.

And I agree with stinky dudes. We have a 22-23yo here that can be pretty ripe in the am.