Sleep

Rate this topic

Aaron

Anyone else not sleep worth a fuck?

I go to bed between 9:30-11:00. Lay in bed awake till 1, 2, sometimes 3am.

Sleeping pills do nothing.

It's almost like I can't shut the thinking part of my brain down.

And I'm tired ALL the time.

That sucks...  You gotta address the things that are keeping your brain awake and trash them!  When I lock my tool box at night, I leave everything work related with it.  I fall asleep before my head hits the pillow, and sleep until 2 minutes before my alarm is set to go off. 

Perhaps there's more too it though, talk to your Dr.  Get in a sleep study.

I too have trouble many nights, and it is because I have so many thoughts in my head.  I have no problems in my personal life, it is usually work related.  I usually go to bed at 9 ish, and wake up about 2-3 and am not able to get back to sleep.  I kind of made a personal promise that at the end of 2014 I am going to slow down my work schedule a bit.

Anymore I've been so busy that I don't have anything left at the end of the day.  Sleep comes easy but I'm pretty tired in the mornings.  The shop I work in promotes lethargy which is probably why I get so much done after everyone leaves.   

Before the last time I tried to quit I never slept well. Flat rate never made sense in my mind when there's only 30-35 hours of diesel work around per week.  What am I supposed to fill in the rest with? It was really starting to affect me mentally.  You can't work 50+ a week, get paid for 30 and feel right in the head.

To answer your question though, I sleep like a rock........in between bathroom breaks that is. And I also leave work at work.

One thing I have found that works for me is to try and concentrate on doing a job. Instead of letting my mind wander and bounce around all over the place, I get the jump on it and try to remember the individual steps to completing a task of some sort. Next thing I know the alarm is going off and its time to get up. Works every time and has never let me down.

What sleeping meds?

I use 2/3rds of a 10 mg generic Ambien (zolpidem) when I have one of those brain won't quit spells and it knocks me out and I sleep GREAT. Usually 2 nights and my sleep rhythm returns. I have not had any side effects from using it. 5 mg wouldn't do it some nights. Cutting a 1/3rd off means the price is reasonable since it stretches them out.

Triazolam is the one they have me I think. .5mg each I believe. I take one to two depending.

I will have to try the ambien if this doesn't get better.

Is it mental or physical or both?

My experience has been that regular exercise promotes rest/sleep for me. People think that because we are on our feet all day and have a somewhat physical job that our occupation provides plenty of exercise however this is really not true. You do not necessarily need to "work out" at a gym for example -  going for a brisk 30-40 minute walk, jogging or riding a bicycle 3-4 times a week minimum is not only good for a cardiovascular workout, doing so increases your metabolism, helps  lower blood pressure, lowers blood sugar and it can help you relax and sleep better. We are not getting younger and all of these things are important. I also find that walking or riding my bike around the neighborhood does get my mind away from things that bother me. Being middle aged and recently diagnosed with type-2 diabetes and high blood pressure I have experienced the benefits of regular exercise. I sleep like a rock except when the wife is snoring in my ear. I rarely have to get up to go to the bathroom any more as I have learned not to drink a lot of beverages after dinner - I do drink a lot of water daily.

• 2 weeks later...

I think maybe I am trying too hard.

I went out with a buddy of mine for pizza and a cruise (read: to look at all the Halloween costumes down in the bar area of town, know what I'm sayin?) any how.

Got home at 3am.

Fell asleep around 3:30. Woke up at 7:30. Felt great. Not tired all day.

WTF?

(No booze either)

I just read that Dr's have completed a new study about insomnia. They figure that excessive cell phone usage can actually cause insomnia.

I have a theory that laying awake at night thinking about insomnia can indeed actually cause insomnia. Anyone think I can get funding to perform this study?

I have also found that about three times a year when I have sex before I go to sleep, I'm lights right out! I think this would be a great study as well.

The wife just saw what I typed and said I better sleep with one eye open.