Right hand exhaust manifold

Rate this topic

I have my first RH manifold gasket leak.  I have done up pipes with a partial cab lift, but haven't had the pleasure of a manifold yet.  How do you guys go about doing these things.  Labor time is a little weak to be messing around.  Anyone care to share?  It is a 2wd f-550.

I just finished one up a week ago, had two broken bolts. I pulled the cab, disconnected the right side engine mount and raised the engine with a crane and slipped a 2X4 under the mount to hold the engine up. This gave me plenty of room to drill out the bolts and install thread inserts. I have another waiting to come in for the same exact repair.

I you have no broken bolts, you can remove the A/C compressor and remove it out the front. That way you are not messing around with the turbo up pipes and down tube. Remove the inner fender and upper fan shroud. Isn't any faster, but it's nice not having to do anything with the up pipes.

• Like 2

She's done, pulled the fan and alt bracket.  Pulled her out the front.  Then spent 1 hour getting the 2 broken studs out.  I left the a/c compressor in and just removed the lines.  One of the crappier jobs I have come across on the 6.4.  5.9 hours plus time to remove broken bolts.  left hand pays 8 and I think is easier.  Oh well.

They were broke off just below flush.  1 twisted of when removing, and the other was gone.  I took a very small die grinder and cleaned them up until they were shiny.  I pulled out the welder and built them up above the head and welded a nut on them.  I got them to turn and the stud promptly broke again:  a few nuts later and slight sunburn and I finally got them out.  Have been using the mig for a long time now.  I'll clean and weld for an hour before I pull out the drill.  I hate drilling bolts.

Not everybody has welders. ;)  Besides, I have gotten really good at it so it doesn't phase me anymore not to mention that I don't think you can use the welding method on everything especially fasteners broken well down below the surface. Correct me if I am wrong about that as I have zero experience with that approach.

The welding approach works well for below flush broken bolts.  Since I'm not a talented welder, the guy in the big truck shop next to us will come over and do it. 

Got 7 broken flush and below flush out of a 5.7 Dodge 'hemi'.  These things just EAT manifold bolts and manifolds. That day was two identical 2500 pickups, each truck had multiple broken bolts on both sides and needed manifolds. 

Worked great on a 6.0 gas GM, left rear manifold bolt was 3 threads below the surface. 

• Like 1

Keith I had a fleet customer turn in a 03 6.0 turbo as a core with the rear bolt not only broken off but they tried to melt it out with a torch. Not only was it more than 2-3 threads below flush but it was a dirty glob of molten slag. I built that stud up and when I pulled it out the remaining bolt cleaned the threads up on the way out. The shop manager was pissed at his guys when he found out I saved that turbo.

• Like 1

I bought a junk turbo off Craigslist for $50. Put that in the core box and kept the good one. I ran it on my truck for a while to make sure it was good then sold it for $300

I've flipped a few turbos now. The glass case turbo is on a f-550 and the one I just recently uploaded pics of got put on my truck today.

Not everybody has welders. ;) Besides, I have gotten really good at it so it doesn't phase me anymore not to mention that I don't think you can use the welding method on everything especially fasteners broken well down below the surface. Correct me if I am wrong about that as I have zero experience with that approach.

Every situation is different and one more method in your toolbox can save your butt on getting a bolt out. I have done the welding method before and it works well but I wouldn't call it the end all be all method. I can remember several times I have gone to grab the welder and it's in use, out of wire or gas etc. then it's on to plan B to get the job done.