Broken EGR Pipe Bolts

Rate this topic

Sharp drill bits make short work of any broken fastener.

I'll second that, good drill bits and a Drill Doctor are a necessity.

I just spent 3 hours welding nuts to those broken bolts and the bolts are STILL in the manifold!!!  :( I think I'm just going to replace it.  I didn't try drilling them, but after all the welding I really don't think I'd be able to gat a drill bit to go through.

Jeez! I only spent about 30 minutes and that included a quick walk out to the Snap-on truck for some new 1/8" drill bits ( too small to sharpen ).

Another important tool for broken fasteners is a high-speed moto tool like my trusty Dremmel. Use a small GRINDING STONE to clean up the surface of the broken fastener and if done right creates a slightly conical surface which makes centering a punch or the drill bit itself easier

every time I've snapped off those little EGR up-pipe bolts I've had to build the stud up and heat the manifold a dull red before I could extract them.  Anymore I just heat them prior to breaking them off.  A #2 brazing tip works okay for getting down in there 

Anytime I find one of those bolts thats too tight or seizing up on removal, I retighten them and stop. 

Then I remove the inner fender and battery tray, remove 1 a/c line and slide the cooler out with that pipe still bolted to the exhaust manifold.  I found this way is a lot quicker and less of a hassle  than trying to drill or using a welder to remove a broken stud.

• Like 2

I have had 1 break so far. We welded a nut on the end and it came right out. Cleaned up the threads and it was good to go. We have a crappy welder, but I am told a new one is on the way.

• 5 months later...

Hoooolieeeee sheeeeyit! I almost had to put a head on one today. Both bolts broke off and had to be drilled. I got one repaired just fine. The second I could not get the drill to center and started drilling wayyyyy off. I thought that I could really use a drill guide and then it hit me to take the pipe and install it with the one bolt and use the pipe flange itself as a drill guide. Worked like a freakin charm.  :partay:

I did one this morning--- I read somewhere to hit the bolt hard with a punch then remove. I have had these break before so I tried it, well it worked. They came right out. I don't know maybe it was just luck.

I actually tried that with no luck obviously.  I notice that with any of these bolts for these pipes that the threads tend to gall which is probably why they break. When these break on me they usually break free and turn once or twice and tighten up then break. Trying to turn them back in in an attempt to "work" them doesent work either. Once they tighten and seize that's it.  

I thought that I could really use a drill guide and then it hit me to take the pipe and install it with the one bolt and use the pipe flange itself as a drill guide. Worked like a freakin charm.  :partay:

That's what I did on a 5.4 3 valve. Manifold was cracked anyway.

1412291934343.jpg

Are those the bolts way down in the valley that break? I got my first 2 trucks with restricted coolers I diagnosed today.

Yes they are - down near the cylinder head. There is plenty of room to deal with them if one or both break off. I normally do not remove the intake to remove the EGR coolers and this last truck I had to take the upper off to use the pipe as a guide. Also had to remove the heater tube - neither is a big deal just thought I would mention it.

Lately, I haven't been able to get any of the bolts out.  They're even breaking in the EGR valve!  I'd like to meet the guy that decided M6 bolts would be large enough for the application, and kick him in the nuts!

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I mentioned this but I apply anti-seize compound to the bolts going back together. The way I see it I could be the poor bastard that has to take the truck apart again someday.

:haha2:Someday.

Are those the bolts way down in the valley that break? I got my first 2 trucks with restricted coolers I diagnosed today.

Yes they are - down near the cylinder head. There is plenty of room to deal with them if one or both break off. I normally do not remove the intake to remove the EGR coolers and this last truck I had to take the upper off to use the pipe as a guide. Also had to remove the heater tube - neither is a big deal just thought I would mention it.

How do you get to the brackets and harness on the back of the cooler if you don't pull the intake?

Lately, I haven't been able to get any of the bolts out.  They're even breaking in the EGR valve!  I'd like to meet the guy that decided M6 bolts would be large enough for the application, and kick him in the nuts!

I don't think it's so much that they aren't large enough. I think it's that they didn't put anything on them. Or they loctited them in. I laughed when the directions said to use loctite on the bolts into the egr valve, then I smeared them up with anti-seize and screwed them in,

How do you get to the brackets and harness on the back of the cooler if you don't pull the intake?

They can be easily accessed from under the vehicle, it helps to have long arms though.