What's In Your Bay - Part V

Rate this topic

Keith Browning

- 12 F150 5.0, rough idle and a P0308 due to intake valves, getting a cylinder head

- 14 Explorer with 90 000 km, no communication with the ICAN network, getting a cluster

- 13 F350 with 20 000 km, complaint of grinding shifting into 4x4 high on the fly, assumed it was the synchro. tore it down to find large metal chunks from the clutch everywhere. getting a new t-case

- 13 Edge which reeks of gear oil in the cab. replaced a leaking l/front axle seal (tranny fluid leak) but of course it still smells and there are no other leaks evident. there is a thread on the PTS message board about replacing the PTU, so considering it's the only part on the front of the car containing gear oil I'll take a chance on it.

- 12 F150 5.0, rough idle and a P0308 due to intake valves, getting a cylinder head

I saw a hotline reply about needing to replace the injectors on the affected back. Apparently they get restricted and lean out the cylinders which in turn wrecks the valves.

Looking at the speedo sensor shows it looked like it was hit but I'm not sure how or why. When I check the distance from the teeth I have about 1/4" of clearance.

The thing has a new 5 speed FS-4005-B trans in it. I can see teeth are present but can't tell their condition.

image.jpg

I'm nearly convinced either the speed sensor or the tone ring is wrong on this F-700. The sensor air gap should be at most .050" and I am seeing way more than that. I'm not getting any AC voltage reading from it. The red wire to the back of the speedo has 12v. The black wire from the sensor has good resistance to ground and the green wire from the speedo to the sensor also checks out good at <1 ohm.

I saw a hotline reply about needing to replace the injectors on the affected back. Apparently they get restricted and lean out the cylinders which in turn wrecks the valves.

Not too sure why just the rear injectors would lean out. I'm not shooting the messenger - just not sold on the idea is all.

Pulled the head (could not reassemble - incorrect parts supplied) and found that like other ones I've done it's only the rear intake valve on the rear cylinder of the bank. I wonder if there's lack of fuel to the rear injectors as opposed to a restriction? Maybe a reflash to give the injectors on 4 and 8 a little more on time would help?

This is the fourth of fifth one that I've done and that represents about 40% of all that we've done in our shop. I feel like if injectors is the fix then Ford will release a TSB on the matter. I'm at the point where I'm not contacting hotline for this concern - kind of a been there done that sort of feeling.

Somewhat related. Pulled the cab on this thing at the end of the day on Friday. Went in on my day off - Saturday - to do the head and put it back together. When I opened the box for the new head Saturday morning I found the right side head and gasket ordered instead of the left. Not wanting to waste a day on Monday I decided to make a Saturday drive to Grande Prairie since my parts person located a left side head and gasket at the dealers there. Monday morning I open the head gasket 'box' to find a right side gasket for a reman engine. She ordered the wrong gasket. Again. Parts is killing me. Since the cab is off I worked outside all day. Not happy.

Man this has been a messed up couple weeks. I can't seem to get anything done around here, that truck with the heads and tranny is done but not without putting up a hell of a fight. I fixed so much shit on it that they damn near had to start me another order to put the parts on. We can't put more than 36 parts on one repair order :haha2:

I donated a bunch of stuff on it too like a new y-pipe, used intercooler and updated pump connector. In return they gave me the powermax turbo that was on it. It wasn't really helping performance at all.

image.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

That truck above is coming back next week for headgaskets. Right now I'm fighting V10 manifolds on an 08 F-550. This thing is extremely rusty considering its not a plow truck. Almost every u-joint on it was destroyed. 3 of the 4 rear driveshaft u-joints, one front driveshaft and both front axle joints (they were complaining of a vibration). The manifolds are approaching more broken studs than intact. I'm guessing it takes me all weekend to get them done.

Next to it is a 6.7 fuel system that got okay'd today. Outside is a 6.0 bucket truck waiting on headgaskets and a reseal. Also sent an estimate for a 6.7 6007 for an 11 F-550 service truck.

- 4 (!!) 6.2 F250s for slow to fill. waiting on parts.

- 2013 1.6 Escape for a 13S12, a turbocharger, PTU seal and axle seal

- 2012 F150 for a rear axle housing (thrust angle and rear end toe & camber out to lunch), buddy thought it was a bogger, rakes all around and cats

- F550 6.8 forest fire rig, wire up electric hose reals, electric start on water pumps etc

and most important,

- wifey's 2006 Rav4 4-cylinder is throwing lean codes/low signal codes for the front o2

This V10 has 12 broken off well below flush and 3 broken that are still sticking out a little. This is probably the worst I can remember.

These front 4 on the left are going to be a bitch.

image.jpg

These damn manifold jobs just keep getting worse and worse.  I welded on these bastards all day and am left with one on each side that I still can't get. Started to drill one with the beydler but I still can't dig it out. I am going to have to put a threaded insert in it.

I have some timeserts now and I'll make the call tomorrow, timesert or helicoil. I am mentally drained today.

These damn manifold jobs just keep getting worse and worse. I welded on these bastards all day and am left with one on each side that I still can't get. Started to drill one with the beydler but I still can't dig it out. I am going to have to put a threaded insert in it. I have some timeserts now and I'll make the call tomorrow, timesert or helicoil. I am mentally drained today.

That sucks. I've had a couple of bad ones recently too. But I managed to get them out.

Yeah it's been tough, mostly on my confidence. For a long time there was none I couldn't get out with a welder. Last week alone I pulled out a broken stud from the rear of a 3.0L escape and an up-pipe bolt from a 6.7 manifold. Zero troubles with those.Even with a drill guide I'm am still leary about using threaded inserts on a cylinder head, probably because of my lack of experience with it. Once you go up in size there's no going back.That being said I put a timesert in the top front of the right head today and it went off without a hitch.  This was kind of difficult to do because of the location but it went well.  I wish Beydler CNC made an M8 STI tap guide.  I may email them about it.  Use the drill guide with a deeper bushing to help guide the tap in straight.  This is my biggest fear, starting the tap crooked because you can't use a tap wrench, my tap sockets and a ratchet were used which is not ideal. 

I started the threads with a spiral point plug tap and finished it with a bottoming tap.  I'll post more pics later of the different STI taps I have and what the purposes are. 

image.jpg

6.0s and 6.4s haven't given me any problems yet you just have to worry about sticking to the head since it's ferrous and so is what you're welding. About 5 years ago when I was still pretty new at this I pulled a broken tap and the remaining stud out of a head for the other guy I work with. It's funny because he'd seen me weld a few broken studs out and he still didn't want to ask for my help, now he doesn't even have to ask, no one here does haha.

update - got the last stud out on the left side. First try with the MIG. Time to go back together finally.

image.jpg

I got a 6.0 apart for heads. Something shifted in my back again so it's slow going.

Pulled the oil cooler to make sure it wasn't fucked and there was no 6C683 screen in the reservoir under the cooler.

So as I'm fixing that, updating the STC, etc, my heads show up. I drop them on the block, and something's not right. My rockerboxes don't line up anymore.

Ahh yes... there it is.

Someone sent commonized heads for my early motor. Dreamy. Another day back. Ah well. I get paid by the hour, and I'm not setting any speed records lately being all crippled up again.

2 broken manifold studs on the front right of a 4.6 3v explorer. Got both them out with the MIG but not without trouble, very hard to get the gun in there and see what you're doing.

This ain't in my bay either, they had one of the younger guys start it but I ended up just finishing it.

image.jpg