What's In Your Bay - Part V

Rate this topic

Keith Browning

That's interesting about the 11-14 dual boost turbo.  From what I gather they can't handle much performance tuning before they go south, looking at the size of the turbo overspeed is surely what's doing them in.

I've read about the 15 turbo swap but not sure of the specifics involving what's required. 

Also, if anyone hasn't noticed the 6.7 VGT solenoids are the same as a 6.0.  I've been taking all the ones off the core turbos and saving them. 

And I went in today and worked on the ambulance, put the whole right bank in, new standpipe and HFCM. Smoked for a while but ran just fine.  I think the #7 cylinder survived for now. 

Just finished my 2008 which had metal in the fuel system. After parking it I decided to check the hours. 85000 KM(53000 miles) and 8100 hours. Now I finally get to pull my 09 which came in as a retail no start and will leave as an after warranty assistance engine and high pressure system.

I've gotta put, at the very least, pinion bearings in the rear end of the ambulance.  The driveshaft u-joints were toast and I was really hoping that was all, no such luck. 

Also looked at another 6.4 today that needs a egr valve, housing, EGT13 and a primary belt tensioner.  I haven't sold an EGR valve in a 6.4 in over a year, now 2 in a week. 

I didn't know a GM fuel pump would ever last this long,'97 gasser with 188k. I am replacing the original fuel pump & sender assembly, I am also replacing the front tank strap, fuel pump almost outlasted the strap :)

20150112_140434-1.jpg

Got the rear out of the ambulance, inner bearing has been spinning on the pinion for a while destroying the shim.  So now I get to set up my first Dana (no tools obviously).

I ordered an extra pinion bearing so I can make a dummy out of it.   

Got the rear out of the ambulance, inner bearing has been spinning on the pinion for a while destroying the shim.  So now I get to set up my first Dana (no tools obviously).

I ordered an extra pinion bearing so I can make a dummy out of it.   

Do you enlarge the inside of the bearing so it slides on and off pinion easily to select shim? Thats how I was shown to do it by a rearend rebuilder at Zumbrota Bearing and Gear.

• Like 1

Yes that's what I'm going to do, same with a second set of side bearings. It appears the Dana 60 ring and pinion kit comes with selectable shims so I might as well make an attempt at setting it up correctly

I got a 12 f250  like a 6 inch lift with 35 inch tires guy said drives like crap compared to before. I drove it and it feels like the rearend isnt attached to the truck very squirrelly . I found the rear lift blocks are cracked and the u bolts seem very loose. The u bolts must be stretched. We got the name off the lift kit and googled it. The company has a 3 year unlimited mile warranty. Parts called them and they said they will warranty them if customer has original receipt. The guy bought the truck this way he called the place that he bought it from. They had sent the truck out to get the lift kit put in and dont have receipt. They gave us the name of the company that put lift kit in who originally bought the kit. When they called them they have records of the truck being done now they begin to search thru old files to find receipt.

Wow that Dana 60 was way different than the few ford rear ends I've done.

First of all you need 4 setup bearings not 3 like I thought. It didn't occur to me the outer pinion bearing is pressed on to the pinion unlike a Ford. I didn't quite get the no crush collar deal at first either. Apparently the outer pinion shims fell out during removal unbeknownst to me. I really had no idea why I was getting excessive preload at first. Once I did realize where the shims went it took about 4 tries to get the proper preload.

All in all though it went well, got an acceptable pattern that's a little high on the toe but perfect backlash (on the low side for new gears). It actually took me longer to make my dummy bearings than it did to get a good pattern.

Also I pulled a good one this morning, changing a shifter in an 08 super duty for a tow haul button inop. Snapped the damn bolt off in the new shifter. It was all the way in too so the bolt was sticking out the back a little keeping the shifter loose but not able to pull out. Man that was a nightmare. Had to drill it from the back with a mirror.Once it was out I was able to drill and helicoil. No way that bolt was coming out.  <sigh>

image.jpg

Wow that Dana 60 was way different than the few ford rear ends I've done.First of all you need 4 setup bearings not 3 like I thought. It didn't occur to me the outer pinion bearing is pressed on to the pinion unlike a Ford. I didn't quite get the no crush collar deal at first either. Apparently the outer pinion shims fell out during removal unbeknownst to me. I really had no idea why I was getting excessive preload at first. Once I did realize where the shims went it took about 4 tries to get the proper preload.All in all though it went well, got an acceptable pattern that's a little high on the toe but perfect backlash (on the low side for new gears). It actually took me longer to make my dummy bearings than it did to get a good pattern.

One of these rearends is how i found out about making the dummy bearings to set up the rearend. I was having a hell of a time with that no crush sleeve also. I had set up a ton of 8.8 and 9.75 at the time and had them down good with the ford tools. So when I ran into the dana we didnt have set up tools for i got my ass kicked. Then I called and talked to that rearend rebuilder and he explained getting the extra bearings to set it up.

Also I pulled a good one this morning, changing a shifter in an 08 super duty for a tow haul button inop. Snapped the damn bolt off in the new shifter.

Let me guess you forgot your torque wrench was still set for the Super Duty ball joints :)

waiting on parts/in progress

- 09 Crown Vic waiting for a cluster, which is pulling down the SCP network

- 13 Escape for a tranny cooler coolant control solenoid, leaking antifreeze ... it should be a 10 minute fix, but Ford decided to mount this to the cooling fan plate with T10 torx screws set between the cooling fan plate and the rad. i pulled the front clip for access. not impressed.

- 12 F150 6R80, wonky with the overdrive clutch. i dislike transmissions.

kicked out today

- 10 Crown Vic with an open on the 12v feed to the vent solenoid, found the open in the harness near the bulkhead connector passing through the firewall

- 10 F250 with intermittent no power windows, found the main ground for the master window switch to have its pin split in half where the harness passes through the door to the body at the inline a-pillar connector

- i broke a 2008 GM 1500, ha ...... for certain in-house financed deals we install GPS units which have the ability to immobilize units when their owners default on payments. usually it is a simple job of wiring a power and ground, and then installing the relay in series with the start signal wire of the ign switch. this  gm's ign switch is all networked so no dice. decided instead to tap into the 12v start feed from the pcm to the start relay. bad idea. turns out it's a monitored circuit and the damn thing immobilized itself on my rack. had to call the gm tech from across the street with his tech2 or whatnot to get me going again. my little launch CReader wouldn't do a whole heck of a lot. oh well.

To look at today we've got an 05 F-550 dump 6.0 customer states it was up on the rack for service and started cranking on its own.  Next to it is a 12 F-350 6.7 with an ABS module that intermittently fails the network test.  Then there's another 05 F-550 here for some front end work. 

This 550 that was cranking on it's own is a salt truck for my best fleet customer.  It's also got a bad oil leak on the left side of the engine, come to find out that the bulletproof diesel external oil cooler line is perforated and leaking.  A call to bulletproof yesterday and they had me send some pictures.  They are going to warranty out the line and I just have to pay for shipping.   

I am quite familiar with wiring problems in that area and have found exactly the same thing as you more than once. Seems that the wires chafe on the end of the convolute tubing when it is loaded with abrasive road dirt.

http://www.forddoctorsdts.com/articles.html/_/dtsarticles/huntingWiringConcerns

1969 Mach 1

Here's what is in my bay at home. It's a 1969 Mach 1 "R" code 428 CJ w/Ram Air. It was my high school car that I drove from 1978-1980. After I bought another Mach 1 I made two cars into one and parked this one in my mom and dad's pasture for 25 years. I pulled it out of the pasture in 2005 and replaced the floors and other sheet metal. Now it's time to get it ready to send to the restorer's to get all the sheet metal and paint work done. I'm building a stroker 428 CJ that will be around 468 CI and hopefully between 500 and 600 HP. It will have a Tremec 5 speed also.

Put 8 glow plugs in an 6.0 F-550 dump today.  Had the heads off this thing 2 years ago so the harnesses actually weren't that bad to get out.  Next to it is another 6.0 F-550 that needs front axle u-joints, p/s gear and 8 injectors.  Also got a 6.4 here with metal in the fuel causing #1 and #6 to intermittently overfuel making it smoke and miss badly at times. 

Then I got to see my first 7.3 in an e-series.  Has a fuel leak in the valley.

I am getting beat up over this 10 fusion tranny that's here that I have no interest in doing.  Would you guys think less of me for quitting over a tranny a guy that doesn't work here anymore diagnosed?....or do I need more of a reason....like an attempt at management to force trannys on me while up to my head in truck work?